PDA

View Full Version : Direct input into simple nodes

Tobian
11-26-2008, 07:47 AM
It occurred to me the other day it would be good if simple nodes, like a scalar input, or Fresnel, allowed you to input data right on the face of the node, rather than have to double click it, to open up a requestor, to type it in, and then close the requestor :)

For larger nodes, with many inputs, it could make the node too large, but on simple one or two value nodes, it would be cool. It would also be handy for exposing those values: Such as if you are showing screenshots of your nodal trees.

it would probably take a lot of work for 9.X to do that now, but it could be a cool feature.

Sensei
11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
When you click on "<" button all options, in all nodes except Gradient and Texture Editor, will be inside of the main Node Editor window... :)

Tobian
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I know :) I just meant that the node it's self had the input, not a window off to the side.

spiroz
11-28-2008, 09:13 AM
I hope when the GUI is in for an overhaul NT will consider
the possibility to interface values into nodes through the front GUI,
without the need to enter the node editor. This would mean
(if nodes are integrated throughout the application)
that you could build your own node tools.
Think of it like modo's toolpipe (only more flexible ;))

Ok, there's more to it, but it's essential to what I got in mind..

Tobian
11-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Basically you mean there you can selectively chose to 'expose' the nodes you want, in a 'grouping' feature, like XSI does. I very much would like that too, but that's been asked for a few times :D

With grouped nodes, you could quite easily build your own 'materials' like the pre-made car paint shader or simple skin etc. Without coding.

Lightwolf
11-28-2008, 09:46 AM
I know :) I just meant that the node it's self had the input, not a window off to the side.
That's something I requested some time ago. The idea being that you ctrl-click (or whatever) on an input and get a small pop-up, a bit like the layer opacity control in Photoshop (adjusted for the different types of inputs of course).
Ideally it would allow to ctrl-mouse down on the input to activate, drag to adjust and release the mouse to exit.

Cheers,
Mike