PDA

View Full Version : New Demo Reel

Larry_g1s
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Here is our recent & first demo reel. I figured it was about time to do one. Let me know what you think. All LightWave (except the character animation exercise - Maya), and everything from FPrime to Kray, HD Instance, and recently LW's own render engine with it's GI cache animation, and of course LWCAD!

Genesis One Studios - Demo Reel (http://www.genesis1studios.com/G1S_demo_reel.htm)

I might try and post a higher resolution one then the Flash, but it's still a decent resolution & quality to view.

adamredwoods
11-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Looks good, couple critiques:

Camera work is a little dizzying. It pulls me more into the camera's action then to the architectural renderings. Smooth and calm is preferred.

Also, if the reel is for getting new work, you may want to leave off the character animation unless it is a finished piece like the architectural work. You can show it separately to clients if they ask for character animation references, or are pitching an animation project.

Sekhar
11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Nice reel, I especially like the interiors. I found the flat white character props (below the brick flat top) a bit odd though. What encoder did you use (FLV or H.264)?

Larry_g1s
11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback, I've already swapped out the character animation exercises. I'll re-post them when I've polished them with a scene and lighting.

It's FLV sekhar through the Flash video encoder .

G M D THREE
11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Nice reel Larry,

Compliments. I definitively see improvement in your work, specially on some of the interior shots.

Just two comments.

Editing! It is extremely annoying to watch, as every cut gets true a fade to blake or white!
There is absolutely need for that!

You title: 3D graphics and Animation. (And this is just my very subjective opinion)
In my book animation is more than just a camera movement true a static scene.
If I was you I would call it 3D graphics and architectural previs.

Just my 5 ///

archijam
11-26-2008, 01:48 AM
You title: 3D graphics and Animation. (And this is just my very subjective opinion)

I see what you mean, but to most ArchViz clients camera movement is exactly what animation means.

'Architectural stills and animation' is probably the best title in this case.

Persistant
11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Larry,

Great job! and thanks for the help yesterday.

Larry_g1s
11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone for commenting, it really really means a lot. I get tired of posting stuff seeing hundreds of views with 1 or 2 comments. So it's really appreciated.

Looks good, couple critiques:

Camera work is a little dizzying. It pulls me more into the camera's action then to the architectural renderings. Smooth and calm is preferred.

Also, if the reel is for getting new work, you may want to leave off the character animation unless it is a finished piece like the architectural work. You can show it separately to clients if they ask for character animation references, or are pitching an animation project.Seems like you're not the only one to have issues with the camera..lol. But to be fair, there is still some nice slow panning shots (1st two shots, conference room, lobby shot). The reason I had the character animation stuff on there (which is now off) is because I want to expand in this area as well i.e. get new work. But as pointed out by you and someone else I showed, it doesn't fit sense it's just playblasted out of open GL. So i'm going to polish them up (lighting, scene, etc.) and then maybe repost them. One of the things I might do (biliousfrog with Eggbox has their reels set up this way) is to have an over all reel, then separate ones per genre.

Nice reel, I especially like the interiors. I found the flat white character props (below the brick flat top) a bit odd though. What encoder did you use (FLV or H.264)?Thanks. I was just trying something stylized with the white cut outs.

Nice reel Larry,

Compliments. I definitively see improvement in your work, specially on some of the interior shots.

Just two comments.

Editing! It is extremely annoying to watch, as every cut gets true a fade to blake or white!
There is absolutely need for that!

Just my 5 ///G M D THREE...what's crackin'. Thanks for the compliments & feedback/critic. I'm not sure I understand what you were talking about in regards to the editing? Where you saying every cut has a fade and you don't like that? Though most every cut does have that, there are a couple I opted out. But if that's the case, I can see your point.

As for the title, I see where you're coming from, but I tend to agree with archijam on this. But more importantly, I'm trying to expand more in to the type of animation that you're probably referring too (hence the character animation stuff I originally had on the reel, took off, and will re-address). So I don't want to lock it in to just arch. previz.

Larry,

Great job! and thanks for the help yesterday.Thanks Persistant.

BigHache
11-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Nice work! You have some good stuff on your reel.

Yeah I would tend to agree with G M D THREE on the editing. Think of a fadein/out like a comma in a sentence, use it to put a pause or break in the idea of what's going on. You have fast-paced music kickin, we see a clip, then pause, next clip. Straight cuts would work much better to keep the flow and pace moving especially with that music.

Great stuff though.