PDA

View Full Version : openGL performance in modeler

kfinla
11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I know this is an old topic.. but as of LW 9.3.1 OSX.. openGL performance in modeler is a dog compared to working with the same exact assets on the same system in Modo. Please continue to improve openGL performance it is really lacking on even medium density meshes in modeler.

Sensei
11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
People often mistake OpenGL performance done by GPU on gfx card with operation on mesh performance done by single-core CPU.. Do you have any problems like slow down while moving or rotating viewport? Do you tried enabling/disabling Legacy OpenGL? Do you tried using non-wireframe modes and they just beautifully fly, while wireframe modes are slow? That's sign that your graphics card has slow implementation of drawing single pixel wide 2d lines.. In Display Options window there are some options which might help in such case (Simple Wireframe Points/Edges)

kfinla
11-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Well i have a quad core machine and a nvidia 8800 /512 ram so the fact that i can tumble teh same exact files in modo at 4x the FPS makes me think its LW :) it is always had poor viewport performance. Ususlaly subd's have to be turned off on anything of a significant polycount for work.