PDA

View Full Version : Animated cars

skywalker113
11-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I want to model and animate a car race, I'd like to know how many polygons is to much or to little to use for each car.

Anyone by chance know many polygons the cars have in grand turismo 4?

shrox
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I want to model and animate a car race, I'd like to know how many polygons is to much or to little to use for each car.

Anyone by chance know many polygons the cars have in grand turismo 4?

Are you going to do close ups? Pay attention to rounded shapes like headlights, tires, fender edges, etc. they should have more detail than flatter areas like hoods and door panels. Use what ever doesn't show polys or pixels. I tend to freeze any nurbs I use, like a bumper or trim. Here's my car vid:

http://www.vimeo.com/1490030

When I was looking for reference for the Challanger I found a model from some game, the body was OK, but the wheels would have needed a few meta sub div passes.

flakester
11-24-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not wanting to sound dumb, or out of touch with console games - both of which I can do at the drop of a cheap hat.....

But if you're proposing to do this for your own purposes, the poly count doesn't really matter; as long as your system or render-farm can turn out what you want in the desired time.

If it's for real-time engine stuff, I'm sure that some folk here wouold be able to give you fairly good numbers for current hsppenings.

flakester.

:: !whoomp! there it is ^ ::