PDA

View Full Version : Barely aloft

shrox
11-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I have managed to get my expenses down to about $50-55 a day. Motel 6 always takes pets, and they're $40-$50 a day, and I get an AARP discount of 10%. Then dollar menus for dinner, oh boy. I've just been driving up and down the coast, checking free wifi at wherever I find it. It's not quite warm enough to camp out.

My former employer let me stay last weekend at the office. I set up my computer, started it up and it stuck in the BIOS splash screen, it's still under warranty, so they sent a box, I sent it to them. I am lucky they told me they would be wiping the drive, I would have lost everything. I had to pull the hard drive and transfer stuff wherever I could get it to fit. I have a lot of 2meg plus models. Then stick it back in to send to HP. Because of the holiday, by the time I get it back it will be mid December! Even if I did get some work, I can't do it anyway.

I have applied for over 400 jobs online. Got three responses, then they closed the positions because of the economy.

I used to say so long as the hull isn't scrapping the ground I'm still airborne. I am running out of fuel though.

Sarford
11-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm feeling your pain Shrox. I haven't had a gig for months. But my girlfriend has a decent pay so I've been living on that while working on my real. We still have our house though so for us it isn't as bad as for you. Hang in there budy, I hope things get better for you soon.

Andyjaggy
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Have you tried getting a job doing not 3D? I mean even working at your local hamburger joint will at least be something. It's a stab to the pride but I'd rather be humble then hungry.

shrox
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Have you tried getting a job doing not 3D? I mean even working at your local hamburger joint will at least be something. It's a stab to the pride but I'd rather be humble then hungry.

Yes I have. It really bugs me when I can do a better job than the attendant or cashier that just got hired.

adamredwoods
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I suggest project management or a technical producer in your field. If you've done freelancing, you have experience managing timelines. You have to "let go" of the creative side of projects, but you never know how you can grow into the position.

Try marketing, advertising, biotech/pharma marketing. Are you in California? People at Viscera (San Francisco) were looking for a LW generalist (look in JOBS forums at NewTek).

Show your reel/resume to people on the forums here. Listen to their feedback.

And last, try getting a job at Border's Bookstore. I hear they pay insurance even to part-time people.

Good luck.

shrox
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
The Mervyn's store at the mall in Eureka is going out of business, and the Starbucks and Border's might go too. I don't really live there anymore, I just have a storage unit there, and I am ready to relocate. I even applied online for a job at Motel 6, since I have been staying at them.

shrox
11-24-2008, 05:00 PM
At least with free wifi and online movies and television I will not lack entertainment.

Nangleator
11-25-2008, 07:56 AM
If you can do graphic design, you might want to try medium and big corporations. Many have in-house creative departments, and 3D work is a big bonus to them, whether they know it or not.

Nangleator
11-25-2008, 08:00 AM
I should clarify: graphic design or web work. But these days, when a company advertises for a graphic designer, they want a graphic designer that's also an all-around web designer.

I've seen ads for positions open at a single company where they want a web designer and a graphic designer. The descriptions under each job are the same, except the graphic designer is also responsible for being a graphic designer.

voriax
11-26-2008, 04:48 AM
Yikes.. sorry to hear about your situation Shrox .. didn't think about how the whole downturn was affecting the fellow `wavers.

I lost my job a few months back, somewhat due to the company I work for not being able to acquire funding from the US (and I'm located in Australia!).
Luckily I was able to find a job through relatives, although not in the field I was hoping for or expecting - I went from designing toys and games in LW, to working for a cabinet-maker, drafting parts for their computer-controlled routing machine.

But in the end, something is better than nothing when it's your everyday living on the line..

Well, hope things turn upwards for you soon..

GandB
11-26-2008, 04:56 AM
I was lucky to get a job as a Corrections Officer at one of the local Prisons here in Michigan. It pays the bills quite nicely, and we'll never run out of prisoners. ;)

I don't do graphics for an actual income though (currently). Just had to find something to pay the bills for now (after being unemployed for over a year and a half). It was incredibly hard to find a jon with a Bachelors Degree and over a decade in the Army. Being an active member of the National Guard didn't help in my search. No one wants to hire someone serving their country anymore.

-Keith

JBT27
11-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Work is trailing off, people are losing jobs, open positions are being closed, and it's not getting any better in the forseeable future. There's going to be alot of people chasing those Starbucks and Borders jobs.....

I'm sorry for you Shrox - wish I could offer you something solid, but I can only wish you well and good luck.

Julian.

Stel
12-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Latest stats said that US lost 500,000 jobs in November. A larger number than economists had anticipated. And each of those will have a very painful sotyr.

Merry Christmas?

Iain
12-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Hey Shrox-hope you're still ok.

A year ago, I was approached by four employers offering me a job. Now those same people are laying off most of their staff so needless to say, I haven't found anything since I lost my job last month.

My freelance work has dried up too so that's a dead end.
But rather than be proud and live off social security (is that a contradiction or what!) I did what was suggested above and found a job at a food store here and, surprisingly, I really love it.
No stress, I spend my day making friendly conversation and helping people and I sleep better than I have for years.

Now the 75% pay cut isn't great 8~ but it's made me assess things. I realised that I haven't enjoyed a single underpaid, ruthlessly demanding freelance job I've ever done and I've had to chase payment every time. And, without knowing it, I was slowly losing my social skills, spending 18 hours a day at a pc.

So, I'm going to pursue a career in public service, hopefully in the police force.
Money really isn't everything but I think you know that. Best of luck, man.

archijam
12-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Iain- amazing story! Great to hear a few good 'personal' things come out of this.

I spent my entire architectural education stacking freezers and delivering pizza. For be it was the perfect down time for my creative production- time to think and resolve. Hope the job searching goes well, whatever the area.

JBT27
12-06-2008, 05:56 AM

A year ago, I was approached by four employers offering me a job. Now those same people are laying off most of their staff so needless to say, I haven't found anything since I lost my job last month.

But rather than be proud and live off social security (is that a contradiction or what!) I did what was suggested above and found a job at a food store here and, surprisingly, I really love it.
No stress, I spend my day making friendly conversation and helping people and I sleep better than I have for years.

Now the 75% pay cut isn't great 8~ but it's made me assess things. I realised that I haven't enjoyed a single underpaid, ruthlessly demanding freelance job I've ever done and I've had to chase payment every time. And, without knowing it, I was slowly losing my social skills, spending 18 hours a day at a pc.

So, I'm going to pursue a career in public service, hopefully in the police force.

That's a heartening and sobering story - best of luck Iain.

Julian.

Tobian
12-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Oh man this thread is one of the many depressing threads, reminding me my job is also circling down the plughole! :S

Shrox, my best wishes, and I hope you find work and soon, and Iain, I didn't know that, both good and bad news, hope we still see you round here!

hunter
12-06-2008, 12:55 PM

Good for you. I work for a District Attorney's office and I use Lightwave everyday to help put bad guys away. It's possible to have both.
I wish all of us good luck in these times. :)

Nangleator
12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Here's a cheerier thought. All the talented freelancers and small shop guys get so fed up with the market and the insane demands of the demented ignoramuses we call clients, that we all bring our creativity and passion into other fields for a living. Then, for the next few years, all our former clients can do is choose between mega agencies for hundreds of thousands per job, and fresh-faced and extremely incompetent kids who will dork them around for fun.

In the meantime, all us talented former professionals will band together in small groups to make gorgeous, extremely lucrative shorts, just for fun. And when our old clients come begging for quality work we can gouge them mercilessly, but only if we feel like working for them again.

GandB
12-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. ;)

MooseDog
12-09-2008, 03:51 PM

that's just a wonderful story! thx for putting it out there for us to read about. perseverance pays off, as at the end of the day, we're all just making our way through this rather long life as best we can.

continued success to you and yours:thumbsup: