PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxel volume weirdness

egearbox
11-24-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm trying to use HV's to create a cloud field. I have a fixed set of points (created in Modeler) and they look as expected with the Surface setting, and the Sprite setting. When I select Volume as the HV type, things get funky. The individual voxels seem to be clipped or rendered improperly. (See pics 1, 2 and 3 attached).

The cloud field in question is about .25 meters (250 millimeters) across - small, but seems like it should work.

Anyone else experienced this behavior?

Andrew March
11-24-2008, 08:09 AM
You've got your voxel size too low by the looks of it, post a screengrab of your HV settings

egearbox
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Nope, sorry - All the settings are the defaults, including the HV size, which is the one LW came up with. Believe me, if it was the HV size I would have found it about a day and a half ago. :D

Only thing I changed on the above screenshots (previous post) was to remove the HyperTexture, to eliminate that a source of the problem.

Here's a screenshot of the HV settings panel -

Andrew March
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
No mate, you're not getting me, of course it's going to use that default value because of the object size, just increase it to something more realistic ;)

Mr Rid
11-24-2008, 02:05 PM
If you are intending to make cloud clouds then you started out with one of my greatest peaves among artists I work with. You should always start your scene off as close to real world scale as is practical. I may have to add FX or something to a scene someone else set up at some crazy scale they didnt think mattered, but dynamics, fur, plugins, presets, other scenes being developed, and all manner of things wont integrate properly. People assume it doesnt matter at first, but you really never know how the scene may develope or integrate down the line, or be used by someone else or pulled in for a future project. Microbes and planets dont have to be actual scale, but should be at a scale where your values will be more logical to figure out, as in this case.

egearbox
11-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, I could increase the size of the entire object, but I was hoping to keep it at approximately the size it would be in the "real" world. As Mr. Rid points out, keeping things close to what their actual size would be is a good thing. Scaling an ant, a car and a building to all be the same size kind of defeats the purpose of modeling them at their real-world sizes (not to mention, it would make it impossible to use them in the same scene).

So, I'm guessing there *IS* a minimum size below which HVs won't work? Does anyone happen to know what that is? Or should we just grin and bear it until it's fixed in a future release? :D

Andrew March
11-25-2008, 12:43 AM
When are you ever likely to see a cloud that's 250mm (10 inches) across?

Scale it up to be realistic.

egearbox
11-25-2008, 07:49 AM
When are you ever likely to see a cloud that's 250mm (10 inches) across?

Scale it up to be realistic.

Oh, I don't know - maybe in a fantasy film scene? (See attached.)

You shouldn't have to alter your project to fit the software you're using. What if word processors worked like that? :D

Sekhar
11-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Did you play with the density/thickness/smoothness (under shading)? Make a big difference.

egearbox
11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I fiddled with them, but wasn't able to get a combination that worked for what I needed. I'm just going to use Sprite mode for the shots that I need - I'm up against a hard deadline and I've spent too much time on it already. Thanks for the response though!

Tom

Mr Rid
11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
So, I'm guessing there *IS* a minimum size below which HVs won't work? Does anyone happen to know what that is? Or should we just grin and bear it until it's fixed in a future release? :D

HVs work fine on a .25cm object. There must be something else going on in your scene if HVs look weird.