PDA

View Full Version : Using Alpha Channels

Stephen0523
11-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I am working on a tutorial from Larry Shultz. I have followed his tutorial 6 times with no success.
I am trying to remove the black area around some leaves using a photoshop TGA file with an alpha channel (see attached) I did exactly what Larry instructed in his video. It worked on his end using a PC, but not on my Mac. Would you know or be able to find out why this in not working?

I use Skype so if anyone would like to view my screen to see what I am doing.

Silkrooster
11-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Try dragging the transparency value to 100%.
Silk

Silkrooster
11-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Here is a quick example...
Silk

Stephen0523
11-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Hi Silk. I tried it and it is set to 100% and still nothing. In Larry's sample he get the image to knock out and mine does nothing.
See attached.
P.S. Thanks so much for the quick response earlier!

ELinder
11-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Have you tried all the combinations of enabling and disabling the alpha in the image editor and checking and unchecking Invert Layer in the transparency texture editor?

Erich

clintonman
11-23-2008, 09:27 AM
After loading the 32bit TGA I make a clone in the image editor and set the copy to alpha only. Use that copy in the transparency with inverted checked. To see in realtime opengl needs to have transparency active.

Stephen0523
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
BINGO!
There was the problem. The display options the Transparency items were not checked.
I am so grateful for all the help.
If there is anything I can do to exchange the favour, please let me know.

Stephen
[email protected]

Silkrooster
11-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Do you mean in the image editor(F6)? or the display options putting a check next to transparency?
If you are talking about the latter, that does not matter. That makes it so you and only you can see if the transparency is working, but hitting f9 is what counts as thats how you save your image and will show the transparency.
If you look at my attachment again you will see the entire object is visible in the display, but in the render the object is transparent.
Anyway glad you figured it out,
Silk

Stephen0523
11-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I checked the transparency in the Display Options. I think I was dong everything correct, but the display options were not set. See the attached.
I also am showing a screen shot of the trade show booth i am working on. I am trying to get a model created for a football helmet (see attached)
Silk... You were very helpful during my problem. Do you offer any sort of training?

Silkrooster
11-24-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't have a whole lot of time for tutorials, but I try when I can. In the mean time go through my lightwave links in my signature. You will find a site by Scott Cameron, he has an excellent database of tutorials for lightwave.
On the links page on my site, you will also find a pdf with most of the same links. Mind you that some are now out dated, as Newtek have been rearranging things. One more thing for me to do, lol.
Silk

Stephen0523
11-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks again. I will look at the links.

jburford
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I can understand a bit of your confusion especially if you are trying to view in OGL View while you are setting it up and it does not show. After reading the thread, I also went through the steps and thought it was not working as I was not seeing it properly in the Camera View although the Transparancy was turned on in OGL Settings!

After rendering though, it did show and work as expected.

Am loading a screenshot of my Layout to show this.