PDA

View Full Version : LightWave [8] screenshots!!!

policarpo
08-07-2003, 10:38 AM
just thought i'd post some LightWave 8 images for everyone to see...

policarpo
08-07-2003, 10:40 AM

milkman
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm so confused. Proton has a lightwave8 screen grab thread too...

policarpo
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM

WilliamVaughan
08-07-2003, 10:44 AM
cool! that's where Proton has been hiding :)

CB_3D
08-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Very nice! Much better than the current brushed look! Classic and elegant, just the way i like it!

policarpo
08-07-2003, 10:58 AM
for some reason they aren't all uploading...so here's a page with them all...sorry that there's no design to the page.

http://www.policarpo.us/samples/lw_8/

Exper
08-07-2003, 11:14 AM
More, more and more!!!! :cool:

policarpo
08-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by milkman
I'm so confused. Proton has a lightwave8 screen grab thread too...

GMTA. :D

milkman
08-07-2003, 11:32 AM
GMTA?

what is gmta?

Nemoid
08-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Nucw & clean UI ! what the boost tool is?

coremi
08-07-2003, 01:01 PM
can u make the screens a lot smaller, i've d/l 4,3 mb on dial-up and still can see nothing, have merci....

lunarcamel
08-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Show me alpha channels and procederals working in OpenGl - otherwise I'm keeping my money ;)

robinson
08-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by milkman
GMTA?

what is gmta?

Yeah right Policarpo :D LOL

GMTA = Great minds think alike.

and btw who speaks endlish over here milkman ??? :rolleyes:

infinite3d
08-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Looks robust! but was it the final look of the interface? i know its the core thats most important but it reminds me of softimage 3d :( i hope the final version will look like the Lightwave Vx with dark grey tone:cool: anyways looks very promising and i cant wait to get my hands on it!

mr_nebel
08-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Love the new name but hopefully they trim it abit, Lightwave 3D Beta Build 607 Discovery Edition (Special Newtek Edition) is just a tad too long for normal use i think. :D

Interesting new tools i noticed, Boost, Additive (menu) FX tools on the items tab :D and numeric in layout.

Nice colours with the slightest of gradinet on the selected tool.

BTW whats LightWaqve ;) ?

Karmacop
08-07-2003, 07:26 PM
I don't like the new look as much :(

It's pretty scary how much that Character looks like you proton. Maybe you should make a deuce character and do a Lightwave demo in lightwave :p

riki
08-07-2003, 08:10 PM
The Dragon looks a lot like the Newtek Cow.

Also I noticed two tabs one for Lscripts and one for Plugins. Personally I don't diferentiate between the two. I just intergrate the useful ones into the menu.

quatermain
08-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree with Karmacop - the UI is headed in the wrong direction. LW's interface is great b/c you can ignore it, like a built-in piece of furniture vs. emphasizing the buttons with borders & bevels. To me, the current version is more elegant. Matt's vX cool buttons are like cut-outs. Too much DF button envy, if you ask me

archiea
08-08-2003, 02:10 AM
I agree too....
Although I'm very thankful that you guys went with a more conservative approach, I gotta ask, why change it? I mean, do you really need a new gui to signal a new version. For me thats the least of all reasons. the gui is the user interface, not the marketing tool. I mean, if you had just a kickin' new interface that ran circles around the old, and enchanced workflow, yes by all means change it. But please, don't change it just cause the box says 8 on it. No offense to Lee, but the reasoning that its a marketing tool is silly especially if thats the best you can do. The features alone at Siggraph are your best sales tool. that and stability.

Here's an example of what NOT to do...

http://www.kcira.com/blend.htm

check out the screenshots. Absolutley horrific. It all screams toy to me, even though the software looks interesting.. This is total Bryce school of "lets wow them!"

Look at the screen shots of frame cycler...
http://www.iridas.com/framecycler/screens/
by comparison, boring, even 1980's-ish (Kinda reminds me of turbo silver!), but funtional. I'm not saying that this is what LW should look like, But its an example of another extreme where the design is boring, but its in function of the software. these guys didn;t feel like they had to dazzle the user with grads and bevels. they had the feature list for that.

As if by some fate, I still believe the best designs were those posted by the LW community. I'd say that was the horse's mouth if I ever saw one...

Good luck NT and congrats on 8 so far!

Karmacop
08-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Exactly. I want an interface that I can't notice. I feel this windows < 98 interface is a step backwards. Just look at old interfaces ie amiga, windows etc compared to new interfaces ie OSX. Ofcourse OSX is still a bit 'bryce' for my liking but you get the idea. 7.5 has a great interface. That's my thoughts though. Atleast give us an option to revert to 7.5 :p

WilliamVaughan
08-08-2003, 08:57 AM
more stuuf to look at:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9247

Gui Lo
08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Damn, I missed the demo showing the Snowprints. I remember William and Deuce mentioned it was comming up and then I fell asleep(3:30 ish here).

Basically is it available for download and where can I get it?

LW8 is looking and sounding beter all the time.

Great work!
( I hope to thank you propperly, with my wallet, when the release date arrives)

DaveW
08-08-2003, 11:52 AM
I think you guys are smokin crack, the new interface is great. I never liked the brushed metal. I don't think the bevels are too big or stand out. They're enough to seperate the buttons from each other but not so much that they are screaming for attention. I think it would be very easy for that interface to disapear while you work in it. Quatermain, those buttons aren't DF envy (have you even seen DF?) they're the LW5.5 buttons with a different color scheme.

I think it's a good idea to change the look of the interface every now and then. It's been almost 4 years since it was last changed, and I think changing it does give the user the impression that there have been more serious changes, and I think that with the new tools and new dev team that it's appropriate. Interface changes never please everybody; the 5.6->6.0 change had people complaining, the 7.5->8.0 has people screaming, and altough I didn't visit any LW forums back then, I bet the 5.0->5.5 change had people screaming as well.

anieves
08-08-2003, 11:58 AM
I don't know, I really like the ideas Matt has come up with, I do think that the bevels are too strong. I'm looking forward to the last finished UI design.

Gui Lo
08-08-2003, 12:52 PM
I think the ideas Matt has shown and keeps showing are great and with him working with NewTek and Policarpo we are almost ashured of a dramatic 'newness' to LW8.

WilliamVaughan
08-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by anieves
I don't know, I really like the ideas Matt has come up with, I do think that the bevels are too strong. I'm looking forward to the last finished UI design.

The original mockup didn't have the bevels but we were pushed for time for SIGGRAPH....let's see what happens :)

bug
08-08-2003, 01:49 PM
I don't know why everyone is so anxious about the new gui.

I don't like the published pictures very much but if they want to change the look...

I'm buying the update because of new features!

mattclary
08-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Not me, man! Who cares about features when you can get snazy new buttons! :rolleyes:

Panikos
08-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
GMTA. :D

GMTA in greek is a very dirty word.
But since we are on topic, policarpo is a greek word.
Its a composite word consisting of "poly" + "carpos"
which means "plenty of fruits"

Thus, policarpo is fruitful ;)

CB_3D
08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Phew, now there´s hope.

As i said, it already looks good. But indeed, without any bevel at all it would really be even better!

archiea
08-08-2003, 10:05 PM
In all honesty, I think the direction the interface is going in is backwards.

check out this thread...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9038&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

In particular, look at one of Dark Lotus' designs that I like...

http://homepage.mac.com/dark_lotus/UI2.jpg

Look at the clarity of the text, the simplicity of the Menuing system: No bevels or outlines that take up real estate an make things look cluttered.

Its all done with a heirarchy of contrast. Think about it. The main funtions are dark and bold while the more common functions (viewer controls, selection tools) are less bold/dark and fall into place in the interface. It so easily fits in the eye and in logic, while the current use of lines and bevels just make it look busy.

Load this up and load one of the links that proton listed above from Elmar. Forget aesthetics, forget style preference, just tell me whats more easy on the eyes. Which one's menu's and functions stand out as more readable...

Thats what makes a gui.

In the area of aesthetics and style, I prefer the minimalist approach. I just prefer it. I really don;t think you need round, beveled buttons to sell LW. On the other and, if you really wanted to push out the message that this IS a new LW, I still think user's like Dark Lotus' and other here have gone farther in conveying that than the examples I've seen from NT.

One good example is Lotus' choice of placing the selection and viewer tools in the middle to facilitate selecting: You are never more than half a screen away. Thats smart. Still, I can't state anymore the clarity of his GUI. When I saw NT's it was clear to me that alot of those guys used Windows and saw alot of MP3 player skins! :D I keed, I keed.

Seriously, though, please consider these thoughts, NT, as it seems that you are putting the effort into this.

infinite3d
08-09-2003, 02:10 AM
and this was the splash screen:p hey im just kidding! just practicing my photoshop stuff!
http://www.geocities.com/dkarrs/lightwavevx640.txt

A.Russell
08-09-2003, 05:07 AM
I thought it was very nice how you did that in photoshop.

anieves
08-09-2003, 11:35 AM
nice touch in the eyes.

MasterTux
08-10-2003, 01:38 AM
nice touch in the eyes.

didn't even notice right away, very nice touch! i just gotta finish my little flamming one :D

bug
08-10-2003, 01:54 AM
me neither!
very nice compositing!

infinite3d
08-10-2003, 11:29 PM
im glad Newtek never released a demo like this:D annoying watermarks!
http://www.geocities.com/dkarrs/lightwavevx640demo.txt

Maimo
08-11-2003, 01:38 AM
I dont mind the changes so much as far as gui, I do like the way 7.5 has color grouping of buttons, this seems all mono-tone,

But all i would like is to change the Highlightcolor to a user definable color, for that mater i would like everything to be user definable.

lord
08-12-2003, 07:03 AM
:eek:

Good grief, now it's going backwards.

I guess that's what you get when you democratically call on the good citizens for input.

Can't say I approve, perhaps if there was less of a bevel on them rows of utilitarian slaves?

Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Maybe it's like, a red herring or something and the real lightwave 8 interface is in fact Matt's LightWave VX, with all the functionality as well!

anieves
08-12-2003, 07:38 AM
lord, this has been said time after time IT ISN"T THE FINAL GUI. just the SIGGRAPH preview. jeesh

lord
08-12-2003, 07:57 AM
oops...

....sheepishly moves into the corner of the room and attempts to fold himself into something resembling a hidden object.....

thanks anieves, terribly sorry, I wouldn't want to appear to be an idiot or anything, I think I'll just go and stand over here for a bit

WilliamVaughan
08-12-2003, 07:58 AM
lol

anieves
08-12-2003, 10:35 AM
:D

Pensart
08-12-2003, 12:57 PM
actually i'm VERY disapointed that the new interface is not like this one...
I dont care that it looks like dfx, when u order lw, you get them both so a similer look would be very fine.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241&highlight=interface
The dark one is SOOOOOOO cool!!!!

atleast darken the interface...

sire
08-13-2003, 12:48 AM
lord, this has been said time after time IT ISN"T THE FINAL GUI. just the SIGGRAPH preview. jeesh

Correct. But I think it is the right time to make comments while it isn't already final, right? :) Otherwise it would be too late.

Btw, I have to agree, Dark Lotus' design is very nice. This is really modern and would positively stand out in comparison with all the 3D soft competition. It only lacks the colour coding of the buttons, this should be added subtly (maybe optionally selectable in display panel). And the "aquaish" reflections seen on the numeric requester don't look to busy, they don't fit in with the rest.

samartin
08-13-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Pensart
I dont care that it looks like dfx, when u order lw, you get them both so a similer look would be very fine.

OH YES, that is the one, looks much more inviting to potential new customers IMHO...

Deffo works for me, about time we got a change from the days of LW5 or whatever days...

iFX
08-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Pensart

Yeah, I have to agree, I really liked that one too when I first saw it - and was then surprised at how many people responded so negatively towards it... hmmm.... guess I just like the DFX interface ;)

OK maybe the above one could go some slightly less rounded buttons, but I still think they look better with at least a little rounding ... I think a while back someone else posted an image with a modified version with less rounding???
That was cool too...

Oh well, just wanted to let Newtek know, someone else also prefered the one above to the one at Siggraph.
- but ultimately, I'm more interested in the new L[8] features that the interface (though I guess we'll have to like that too as it's what we'll be faced with everyday ;))

iFX
08-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Actually, just looking at it again...

I'd say reduce the roundness of the buttons a little, reduce the bevelof the buttons a bit... and you're done ;)

dwburman
08-15-2003, 10:53 AM
yeah, reduce the bevels and gradients.

The thing I don't like about Dark Lotus' design is that it looks unfinished to me... like there's a problem with the display... like there's sopposed to be shading of some kind but it didn't show up. I'd like to see some small borders and dividers between the buttons, gadgets, widget, windows etc. I think I'd like the dark gray to be a bit lighter.

archiea
08-17-2003, 05:49 PM
I think thats the foundation of this argument....

What some see as unfinished, I and others see as practical and uncluttered. While to us, the "finished" ones look too overdesigned and cluttered..

I think you can see a consistant difference in consumer and pro software. Consumer software has alot of bevels, colors, outlines and gags as eye candy to attract new users. In fact, Lee has mentioned that the intent of the new interface is to signal that its a new version and, as a result I believe, attract new customers.

I think this is totally wrong for LW. I really don't think LW is"that" kind of software that needs a GUI change for that reason.

I think the minimalist, "unfinsihed" designs look more professional as they are designed to improve the user experience, not to attract new users or to cue a similarity to a compositing software.( Incidently, I think that the GUI for a 2D app and a 3D app SHOULD be different as they are different software with different needs)

Notice that alof of the comments regarding the minimalsit designs criticise it in regard to appearance, and not functionality or practicality? I think that people are falling into the "more is more" trap and feel like they are missing something when its just gags like rounded buttons, grads and outlines.

The designs from Lotus, Mike and others really feel like a unique, practical approach, while the others appear to be rehashed from visual cues from other software, without consideration to whats needed for LW users. and I don't think gags like bevels, outlines and rounded buttons is what we need, or is going to help sell more copies of LW.

anieves
08-17-2003, 07:11 PM
yes, this is the right time for NT to get user feedback, on the other hand some ppl keep posting "I hope it isn't the final" kind of replies... well it has been said before, time after time that it isn't.

I think archiea has hit the nail on the head. NT has our feedback, now lets wait and see what they have in store for us, shall we?

Pensart
08-18-2003, 12:12 AM
Consumer software has alot of bevels, colors, outlines and gags as eye candy to attract new users.
So what u are saying is that digital fusion is consumer software?
Or softimage "nice interface" would be consumer software because they have a more stylished look. right?
I think this is totally wrong for LW. I really don't think LW is"that" kind of software that needs a GUI change for that reason.
Believe me, it needed the GUI change a long time ago :p
I don't think gags like bevels, outlines and rounded buttons
This is your own personal oppinion "which is OK".

I would already be happy when the new interface is a dark one.
The best thing would be that we could design our own buttons in photoshop, so i could have beveled buttons, and u dont...
This would make alot of users happy, i guess :rolleyes:

archiea
08-18-2003, 03:25 AM
Not really, in particular i was talking about the "bryce" type software, or even mac's iApps. a better example is this new low end compositing app...
http://www.kcira.com/
check out those screen shots...

For the record, Shake has rouded buttons as well... a real nuisance. their font choice isn't the best either....

However, like I've said, people's replies are such like "I like bevel buttons, so LW should have them" as opposed to what is a good gui. I think Bevel buttons are nice, but they take up alot of realestate, don't offer much as a visual aid, and more often clutter an interface.

XSI has far less clutter than LW, so the rounded bevels aren't as intrusive. I'd still like to see Lotus' design on XSI. :D

So, again, my point isn't to argue IF LW needs a GUI change, its moreso the reason. I see alot of the resoning not helping the gui situation....