PDA

View Full Version : Smearing On My Monitor

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi everyone. I've been dealing with a bad problem for months. No one seems to know how to help. I have horrible smearing on my monitor. I've included a screen grab of the problem. I can hardly work in Photoshop or Lightwave with this crap on my screen.

Please help!

Thank you.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Specs

Power Mac G4 OSX 10.4.11
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro PC Mac Edition.

Thank you.

toby
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
That's a hardware problem isn't it? Need a new monitor or something?

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Not sure. ATI.AMD have been no help.
Just started a few months ago. I'm hoping to hear from someone who had the problem but fixed it.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Tried a new monitor but still there.

virtualcomposer
11-21-2008, 12:46 AM
sounds like a video card problem. I would check into trying a new video card. You can always take it back if it doesn't work. It doesn't look like a monitor issue.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 12:57 AM
sounds like a video card problem. I would check into trying a new video card. You can always take it back if it doesn't work. It doesn't look like a monitor issue.

I was hoping not. I was just ready to upgrade to LW9. Looks like I'll be waiting just a little bit longer.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 01:13 AM
It looks like video memory corruption, GPU overheating or simply a failing GPU.

This sounds interesting. What would you try besides buying a new video card?

meatycheesyboy
11-21-2008, 01:26 AM
If it's video memory corruption or failure then a new video card is your only option. For $20 you can get a video card that is capable of running LW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187049

Since LW doesn't really take advantage of much in the way of video card features, this should hold you over until you have a chance to buy a new card. If it doesn't fix the problem then you're only out $20.

Red_Oddity
11-21-2008, 03:18 AM
One of my older cards started doing that aswell (the entire mobo was dying anyway)
Was my old workstation (as in running 24/7 for over 3 years).

Cleaning fans and cooling plates with a presure air can seems to help sometimes (so much crap collect over years in your hardware)

biliousfrog
11-21-2008, 04:49 AM
I'll just add that if it's a screen grab it couldn't possibly be a monitor problem because the computer is taking a grab of a 'virtual' desktop...it could take a grab without a monitor attached, it only needs one for you to see what is going on. If it was a monitor problem we wouldn't see anything wrong with the image because our monitors work...I hope...does that make sense?

Red_Oddity
11-21-2008, 06:26 AM
AH, yes, that makes sense, i thought it was a photo.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 08:47 AM
If it's video memory corruption or failure then a new video card is your only option. For $20 you can get a video card that is capable of running LW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187049

Since LW doesn't really take advantage of much in the way of video card features, this should hold you over until you have a chance to buy a new card. If it doesn't fix the problem then you're only out $20.

OK. I'm gonna put my old 32mb graphics card back in. The one I'm using now is 256mb and Open GL support, I thought having more mb's would help performance.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
It looks like an older machine and if it has been running for years and then starting to exhibit this behavior my guess is that the cards is dying and that there's nothing much to do about it.

You could check to see if there's a lot of dust covering the fan/cooling fins of the graphics card and clean it if this is the case.

Does the computer have this screen corruption right when it boots up, or does it appear over time?

If the corruption appears right at boot up, I reckon it's a hardware failure that you can't do anything about, other than get an appropriate replacement graphics card for the G4.

If it appears over time, it could be a heat issue due to dust etc.

Appears right at boot. Putting my old card back in now. Will update you guys.

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
One of my older cards started doing that aswell (the entire mobo was dying anyway)
Was my old workstation (as in running 24/7 for over 3 years).

Cleaning fans and cooling plates with a presure air can seems to help sometimes (so much crap collect over years in your hardware)

Thanks Red_Oddity. You last post makes sense also. Probably wouldn't see it if it were a monitor problem.

virtualcomposer
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
There is also two other ways of helping this issue. First try to reset your memory. I forget the percedure but it's something like hold down command-E I think as you restart. You can look it up easily online. I had a similar issue a year or so ago and this fixed it. Also do a hardware test using your boot CD you got with your mac. This will show you if there truly is a problem with any of your hardware.

dwburman
11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Virtual composer: are you talking about zapping the PRAM? For that but you have to hold down several keys (I don't remember which ones) while the computer restarts.

I was having major system and video card problems on a MacPro earlier this year. Pulling the cards out and cleaning everything out with canned air fixed the problem. I no longer have random strings of pixels appear on the screen and the machine has only locked up a few times in the past few months instead of a few times every day.

Reseating the card is probably what fixed it in my case, but cleaning off the heat sinks and fans may have helped as well.

virtualcomposer
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes the pram was what I was thinking. Worked for me and fixed the issue I was having. So it's working now?

firstsingle
11-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much for your time and effort in trying to help me resolve this issue fellas. I guess the graphics card just went bad. I went and dug up that old 32mb graphics card of mine. I'm really glad I didn't throw away. I was so excited when I got my 256mb card I was tempted to.

No more smearing on my monitor. I will miss open GL, but who cares when you've got FPrime? Lightwave doesn't use most of that stuff anyway.

Thanks again guys.

Later!