PDA

View Full Version : UGH! Bones problem...

Ty Catt
11-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Y'all,

Problem here. I'm sure someone knows this.

I'm still pretty weak at bones here, but here goes.

I am trying to create a page turning in a book like in the attached image. I used W. Vaughn's tutorial, which uses a bone chain to keyframe the subpatched page curl. It works well except for one thing (which I'm sure is my error, not his).

As you can see in the picture, once my curl begins, it passes through the other pages (red surface so you can easily see it).

I've tried adjusting bone lengths, falloff types, etc with little success.

I figured a weight map was the way to go (i created one with 100% on curling side, and 0% at crease), and it fixed it a little. But it still passes through.

Less subpatches? (Already changed division sublevel to last). I made a quicker prototype to test with with lower polygon count and that helped, but it chunked up with subdivisions.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tyler

WilliamVaughan
11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
looks like you need some bones in the lower portion of the page. Something to hold teh page in place

Ty Catt
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
WOW!

A reply from the MAN himself.

Your tutuorials are the best- I've downloaded all of them and take them wherever I go. Thank you for all of your hard work in helping us learn!

SO- Do I place the bones on the same chain?

Make a new chain?

Just add a bone by itself?

As you can see I am not yet one with bones, but I want to learn!

Thank you!

Ty

WilliamVaughan
11-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I would branch off the same chain... that way you can rotate the main bone and all bones will move....but still have detailed control down teh chain for bending corners of the page

Ty Catt
11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
That fixed it!

I guess bones aren't so bad after all!:)

Again, thanks for your assistance on the matter, and special thanks for the awesome tutorials.

Tyler