PDA

View Full Version : i've got the ik shakes

frankie b.
08-07-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm working on animation for a children's show and the arms of my actors are jittering. It's similar to problems I've had when the nulls I'm using are stretched too far from the bone. However, in this case the nulls are fine, but the shakes are horrible. I've tried turning off limits and a number of other things i didn't think would work.

Has anyone run into this and found any soultions?

Thanks,

Frankie B.

KeystoneMike
08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
How far away from 0,0,0 are your actors? The further away from the origin you get the worse the precision is with IK. Also, your goal strength might be too high. Try adjusting the strength down a bit and see what happens.

Mike

SplineGod
08-07-2003, 07:49 PM
1. Turn off Keep Goal Within Reach.
2. Prebend the bones to indicate how the IK should solve
3. IF you use rotational constraints set them so the joint keeps a slight amount of bend in them (In other words dont use something like -180 0 but use -180 2)
4. Model your characters as close to real world proportions. Use a goal strength somewhere between 50-100
5. Avoid multgoal IK chains
6. Use 2D IK whenever possible. For example the hip or shoulder joint is really two bones, one gets IK in the bank channel only and the other gets IK in the Pitch channel only. This helps to keep things stable.