PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Camera Shaker

Richard Hebert
11-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Does Dr. Camera Shaker ship with 9.3? If so, where do I find the plugin? I checked under General Plugins; Relativity and can't locate several professors. Only 3 professors are listed and the manual mentions several under relativity.

Richard

biliousfrog
11-20-2008, 07:22 AM
do you want just general camera shake? I find that noisey channels or textured noise (whatever it's called) works very well. Using textures has the advantage that you can use an envelope to turn the effect on/off.

Richard Hebert
11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
This is all new to me. Didn't know we could use textures to drive movement as well. Are the professors really used that much by seasoned LW Users?

Richard

biliousfrog
11-20-2008, 07:45 AM
they probably are used by seasoned users but I've picked most things up by trial and error with a deadline looming so I do whatever works fastest :D

biliousfrog
11-20-2008, 07:49 AM
I've had a quick look, under the channels in the graph editor - modifiers - textured channel.

By moving the texture over time, it works almost as a displacement map, pushing and pulling the channel. Noisey channel works equally well and is faster to set up but it can't be keyframed (WHY!?!?!)...so I use textured channel and use an envelope on the opacity to turn it on and off.

steve0077
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Did you try baking keys?

Richard Hebert
11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Baking Keys is not something I'm familiar with yet. What does that do exactly? I'm hitting the manuals but I've got about 6 different functions to look up already (and the list grows).

Richard

clagman
11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
I like using some of the relativity stuff but it could use some work I think (GUI wise). I like the way AfterEffects works it. You select a channel (say motion on X) and use a "pick whip" to link it to another channel so that the value of one drives the other. Very quick and powerful for setting up basic relational animations.

Anyway for doing basic camera shaking I always do that stuff in AE because if you are using motion blur in a scene and then shake the camera be prepared for a render hit. If you are looking for a nice "hand held" sort of look try actually operating the camera while you are playing the scene on the timeline, it will record the motion.

Richard Hebert
11-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree, AE and I are best friends. Easier and faster to do some things in AE like the shake. I like the suggestion of recording the movement. It will look much less stiff than trying to keyframe the motion. I'm also going to try out the texture driven technique. Doesn't hurt to have an arsenal of options. Thanks guys.

Richard

steve0077
11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Select your curve with the noisy channel in the graph editor, then select baked selected curve option in the keys tab. It will bake curve to keys.

Richard Hebert
11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
So Baking is just a way to convert a curve to Key Frames. Is that correct? I'll be looking into the process in a couple of days. Still working on a small but time consuming animation. Sounds similar to converting Expressions to Key Frames in AE.

Richard

steve0077
11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Correct

gerardstrada
11-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Recently I proposed a way to animate this by hand in real time:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82586

Gerardo