PDA

View Full Version : out of MEMORY?

shannonhochkins
11-19-2008, 09:32 PM
hey thanks for reading

when i go to render it renders for a little but when it gets about half way through it says out of memory, it says i only need 36.3mb, but i have 1gb of memory, i don't get it, is there anyway of fixing this?>

thanks heaps..

shannon

aSkeptic
11-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Probably the most accurate way of knowing for sure how much memory lightwave is using is by observing the lightwav process in task manager.

If you are using lightwave 32 bit you can only have up to 2 gigs of virtual or physical memory dedicated to a process, or if you have the 3 gig switch in your boot ini up to 3 gigs can be dedicated on processes that are aware of it (not all 32 bit processes on win32 can use 3 gigs most can only use 2 gig). I don't know if lightwave 32 bit is aware of the 3 gig setting or not since it doesn't apply to me as I'm on 64 bit.

If you are using lightwave 64 bit the max amount of ram is whatever artificial limitation has been imposed in your version of windows 64 bit (assuming your are using windows, I know little about macs anymore). For xp 64 bit the limit is 128 gigs, for vista 64 bit home premium it is only 8 gigs. But virtual memory amounts can be much larger than this.

What kind of stuff do you have in your scene? Sub-d objects with high subdivision levels can quickly get out of control with memory.

Hopefully your problem is something simple like that...

biliousfrog
11-23-2008, 09:06 AM
This link might help, textures are a big culprit with hogging memory: http://www.lightwiki.com/Optimised_image_use

There's a pdf which goes into more detail, I'll try to dig it up.