PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #15

IMI
11-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #15
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Tools Through the Ages

Any kind of tool from any time period past or future.
Domestic, industrial, fantastic or practical... kitchen tools, agricultural tools, medical tools... anything.... imaginary or existing... obsolete or yet-to-be... powered or manual.

If it's your own invention, it should be explained what it is and how it works.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Hopper
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Well then .. that's a no-brainer..

Hmmm .. now where did I put those wires.... :D

IMI
11-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Brilliant, Hopper.

Nice render, but yeah, you'd best find those wires. ;)

flakester
11-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Well then .. that's a no-brainer..

Hmmm .. now where did I put those wires.... :D

Ha! Awesome.

flakester.

Toby147
11-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice one, Hopper!! :thumbsup:

This is a great theme, btw. Lots of options on this one.

Here's my first one. My chosen tool is called a twister. It was used in Medieval times to attach thatched roofs. Very creative with their tool names, those crazy lords of the trade! :) Anyways, modelling time was 50 minutes and about 3 hours for texturing and rendering.

I've added my reference image as well.

Toby147

IMI
11-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Looks great, Toby!

Iain
11-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Nice work Toby. And great reference.

Toby147
11-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks!! :D I was pretty happy with the final image. I was surprised at how long something simple like that would take me to model.

Iain, you did a butcher knife for the "kitchen" challenge and had a huge amount of DOF blurring. Was that done in LW or post? I've been messing around with the Proximity modifier and found a slight change in focus, but nothing that drastic. What's your secret?

IMI
11-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I can't answer for Iain, but minor adjustments of the fstop make a huge difference. That and having DOF preview on in the camera viewport makes it alot easier to get what you want.

And I wanted to say earlier, what you modeled is exactly the type of direction I hoped this challenge would go in - more towards the obscure than the obvious. :)

Toby147
11-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Awesome. Thanks IMI!! I will do some experimenting with that later. :)

Oh, and there are some obscure tools out there!! :eek:

Iain
11-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Iain, you did a butcher knife for the "kitchen" challenge and had a huge amount of DOF blurring.

As IMI said, lower the f-stop for heavier blur.

You can also apply your DOF in post so as not to slow things down too much in LW.

Iain
11-21-2008, 06:01 PM
This is a Trephine-a lovely tool for the art of trepanning.

They had medicine worked out hundreds of years ago. If there's something wrong with your head, you just need to bore a large hole and let the nastiness out :)

35 minutes modelling and about 2 hours texturing and messing around with the scene.

Hopper
11-21-2008, 06:08 PM
This is a Trephine-a lovely tool for the art of trepanning.
Ummmm That's totally gross... yeah ... that's the winner right there..! Geez that's some pretty incredible texturing - and at 2 hours, pretty phenominal. That's a 5 star entry right there.

IMI
11-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Agreed with Hopper.
Man, that's nasty, but amazingly good.

TripD
11-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh yah! I'm gonna have nightmares about that thing Iain!

Well rendered nightmares though!

Toby that is a nice looking entry as well.

And of course Hopper never ceases to come up with total cleverness.

Iain
11-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys. I'd like to work on the render a little more as I've never done a blood 'n' guts topic before.

geothefaust
11-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Man, that's fantastic. I love F'ed up stuff like that. :)

How did you do the blood? It looks great.

Iain
11-23-2008, 02:13 AM
The blood is just texture mapped with one photograph I found.

Thanks-stuff like that is fun in a strange way.

Iain
11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Here's a close up view of the trephine. Nice.

Weepul
11-24-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm a little surprised nobody's done this yet...about 6 minutes for modeling. :D

colkai
11-24-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm a little surprised nobody's done this yet...about 6 minutes for modeling. :D

Hehe, ya know, it had crossed my mind but I've been away this weekend so didn't do it. Plus, wasn't sure I'd get a thwacking. :p ;)

VoodooChile
11-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Blew by the time limit trying to model this one. In hindsight, I have no idea what made me look at this object and think that I could get it done in an hour. I can only assume that it was a lethal combination of newb inexperience, blind ambition and too much Guinness. Next week's goal...pick something EASY :)

The tool is a spiral hand drill used by jewelers.

Cool entries this week!

Hopper
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I am soooooooooo outclassed on this one ... man, those are great.

Iain, go ahead .. I know you want to put a few skull fragments and brain pieces in there ... mmmmmm mmmm good. :D

flakester
11-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Awesome entries all.
I was wondering what people would be turning out for this topic. All great so far.

flakester.

Iain
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Great model, Voodoochile!

I have some more ideas so hopefully I'll get at least one more done.

IMI
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, real nice stuff here, guys!
Cool model, VoodooChile, nicely detailed. Guinness, eh? I have to admit, I have a certain weakness to that stuff too. ;)

I was hoping to get something in for this challenge, but I don't know if that's going to happen - been kinda busy this week.

colkai
11-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Likewise, had an idea, depends if I can get in before the end of tomorrow

Toby147
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow!! Great stuff so far.

Iain: Very disturbing image, but very well done. Everytime I see it, I think of the "Saw" movies. Excellent!

Weepul: Your rock... well, rocks!! Great idea.

VoodooChile: The detail in your model is fantastic. I was debating on doing some type of drill, but after seeing that... forget it. You nailed it. (no pun intended):p

IMI
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Likewise, had an idea, depends if I can get in before the end of tomorrow

Well, I hope to see you come up with something. :)

Hey, am I supposed to judge this particular challenge?

flakester
11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Got a soldering iron done.

About 50 mins for the modeling, about an hour for the rest. Could still use more time on materials, textures and lighting - but I have to sleep. Just feels good getting an entry in! :D

Wires should be here too - and I'm happy to share the model should anyone want.

Cheers,

flakester.

IMI
11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks great, flakester!

That's funny, because I was looking at my soldering iron on my computer tools shelf earlier today and I thought, maybe...
Glad now I didn't do it. ;)

Weepul
11-26-2008, 02:11 AM
Humans have always had a need to see in the dark...

Juuust under 60 minutes. Didn't have time for the pocket clip. :(

flakester
11-26-2008, 02:51 AM
Looks great, flakester!

That's funny, because I was looking at my soldering iron on my computer tools shelf earlier today and I thought, maybe...
Glad now I didn't do it. ;)

Cheers Dude. Want to see if I can get something else in too now...... Maybe a roll of cheap solder! :p

Juuust under 60 minutes. Didn't have time for the pocket clip. :(

That's turned out awesome! A torch I would be happy to carry. I wish that didn't sound so wrong.

flakester.

Iain
11-26-2008, 02:56 AM

Nice surfaces.

Do you have an idea for the next challenge? You can PM me or set it up yourself if you're happy to do that.

colkai
11-26-2008, 04:25 AM
Well, I hope to see you come up with something. :)
Me too! :p

Hey, am I supposed to judge this particular challenge?
Just look at 'em a decide which you really like and why, that's the tough part really. Always good entries. :)

flakester
11-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Another swift one - Engineering without allen-keys would be like rock & roll without guitars!

'bout 35 minutes for the modeling, around 50 or so minutes for the rest.
Again, more than happy to share the model should anyone want it.

Cheers,
flakester.

Weepul
11-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Nice surfaces.

Do you have an idea for the next challenge? You can PM me or set it up yourself if you're happy to do that.
Thanks. PM sent, reply received.

bout 35 minutes for the modeling, around 50 or so minutes for the rest.
Nice. :) Simple and elegant, both the tool and your render. Let me guess - most of those 35 minutes were spent getting that coil to do what you want? ;)

I'm adding one more for the road. Tools through the ages, right? Well, I suppose some 40 years old might not count as an "age"... :D It's not as bright, but it sure ran longer than the newer one!

About 40-45 minutes for modeling. (Was multi-tasking.) If anyone would like the models, I'd be agreeable to posting them, though the surface for the Surefire has quite a few plugin dependencies.

IMI
11-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Man, you guys are really cranking out some quality stuff!

flakester
11-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Nice. :) Simple and elegant, both the tool and your render. Let me guess - most of those 35 minutes were spent getting that coil to do what you want? ;)

Pretty much! Cheers.

I have to say, that old torch render is possibly one of the best I've seen. Ever.
The red plastic is absolutely bleeding spot on. Pits, marks and all.
ORSM work!

flakester.

colkai
11-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Another swift one - Engineering without allen-keys would be like rock & roll without guitars!
Ya can't maintqain your guitar without Allen keys either. ;)

colkai
11-26-2008, 07:04 AM
I have to say, that old torch render is possibly one of the best I've seen. Ever.

Could not agree more, the surfacing is gorramn shiny! :)

How I wish I could produce work like that, colour me jealous, (in a good way of course ;) ).

flakester
11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Ya can't maintqain your guitar without Allen keys either. ;)

I never even thought about that side of the coin!

colkai
11-26-2008, 01:44 PM
:) Me got time so me did done dood it. :p

Ahem, sorry, ok, here is a good old fashioned bit brace, didn't think I'd have time to do a good drill bit so decided to stop where I was. Took about 45 minutes of modelling all told, a combination of bevel / extrude, rounder and LWCAD curves with profiler.

These little things are still in use today and haven't really changed since the late 1800s.

colkai
11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Here's the object and scene....

VoodooChile
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow, what great entries!

weepul, would you mind explaining to the new guy (me) how you achieved the raised pattern on your first flashlight? Did you use bump maps or displacement textures? Sorry if it is an obvious question!

VC

flakester
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Colkai - that's a smashing entry - ace textures and materials.
I remember using one of them back in school!

flakester.

IMI
11-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Colkai - that's a smashing entry - ace textures and materials.
I remember using one of them back in school!

flakester.

Hear hear! Excellent, man!

I never used one but my grandfather had one. I used to look at it and think, man that musta really sucked to have to use that. I think I'll just keep my DeWalt power drill. ;)

Damn, I didn't get any chance at all to get started on something this time around. Oh well.

Looks like it's almost "that time". I wish someone else was judging this challenge - this one's gonna be tough.

Toby147
11-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Holy crap, those entries are awesome!

Weepul: Most excellent with the flashlights! I remember having one of those old school types, and it looked a lot like your model. Textures and all.

Colkai: Great hand drill! I think I have one of those laying around somewhere... :confused:

Too many great entries on this one. Glad I'm not judging this one!! Everyone did awesome this time around. Can't wait to find out what the next challenge is. Woohoo!!

Toby147
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh, and Flakester: Spot on with the allen wrenches!! Very cool.

flakester
11-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh, and Flakester: Spot on with the allen wrenches!! Very cool.

Cheers Dude.
Excellent entries everyone. Well done.

flakester.

IMI
11-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Well it's a few minutes past 2200 GMT...

I have to go with Toby's "twister" model. I'm just really impressed with the perfection in the way the "twisty" parts separate so uniformly and merge back together. I'm *still* trying to figure out how he did that. And it's sitting in a really nice render, too.

VoodoChile's spiral hand drill was a very close second - but he said it took him more than an hour.

Like I said though, all these entries this time were excellent, and I think some of the best renders I've seen yet in these challenges.

Hopper WOULD have had the win, but he never came up with the wires, and forgot to model the dongle. ;)

Iain
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Congratulations Toby-well deserved!

This week's:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788042#post788042

flakester
11-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Agreed, Congrats Toby - well done!
Awesome model and render...... not to mention ace choice of subject matter too.

flakester.

VoodooChile
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Congrats Toby! Really interesting model.

colkai
11-27-2008, 02:18 AM

This week's:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788042#post788042

Agreed, that's a superb model, well done Toby!

parm
11-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Totally missed out on this one.

Fabulous models and some really enviable texturing and renders. Spectacular work everyone, well done.

Hopper
11-27-2008, 10:49 AM
About 40-45 minutes for modeling. (Was multi-tasking.) If anyone would like the models, I'd be agreeable to posting them, though the surface for the Surefire has quite a few plugin dependencies.
Wow ... I haven't seen that flashlight in years. I used to have one just like that - magnet and all. That was an Everready wasn't it? I can't remember.. I do remember that magnet being pretty strong though. Would stick to the fridge like superglue. Very nice model.

Weepul
11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Congrats, Toby! :)

weepul, would you mind explaining to the new guy (me) how you achieved the raised pattern on your first flashlight? Did you use bump maps or displacement textures? Sorry if it is an obvious question!

Well, a bump map could also be used for displacement. ;) Actually, it's sort of a bit of both, since I used dpont's Relief Map node (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/nodes/ReliefMapping.html#ReliefMap), part of his DP Kit (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/nodes/Download.htm). The texture itself is driven by a repeating image map with a couple other procedurals and decal-style maps to control the smooth falloff where the pattern ends.

Wow ... I haven't seen that flashlight in years. I used to have one just like that - magnet and all. That was an Everready wasn't it? I can't remember.. I do remember that magnet being pretty strong though. Would stick to the fridge like superglue. Very nice model.

Yup, indeed it was. It's older than I am... :D Thanks for the compliment.

Toby147
11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Uh... Wow, I wasn't expecting to win this one! I don't know what to say. Thank you very much. There were some exceptional models this time around, I don't know how I won. But thanks!!

IMI: The twisting end definitely took the most time to figure out. I knew that it needed to be seamless, so I put some extra thought into it. I'll attach the model so you can figure out my "secret". :cool:

Again, all great models and thank you!!

Iain
11-28-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure how many people would find this useful but here is the Trephine model.

Iain
10-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Yup, indeed it was. It's older than I am... :D Thanks for the compliment.

Weepul, I was looking through these old challenges and wondered if you'd mind posting that second flashlight model?

I'm really curious about the amazing surfacing you achieved.