PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 OBJ Export

RayO3D
11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Good afternoon,

I ran into an odd problem today when exporting an OBJ from LW9.5 over to 3D Max. In the past (v9 and 9.3), I was able to export/save an OBJ and use a plugin I found to export the MTL file separately. When I imported that file into Max, it kept the UVs I made (as long as I had a texture assigned when exporting) as well as an Parts I created and everything got along great. However, I recently tried this with 9.5 and have been running into a problem that the OBJ seems to no longer remember UVs or Parts when exporting. I originally thought that LW was simply exporting the MTL files now along with the OBJs but it seems there might be some other changes that have occurred to the OBJ export as well? I tried searching through the forums but couldn't really find anything like this issue I am having.

I have tried dumping my CFGs and reloading the OBJ exporting plugin but not really having any luck. The only other thing of note that I can think of right now is that I saw a thread where someone posted a screen shot of their General Options window and I was missing a few items. I had OBJ One Layer, OBJ, One VMap, OBJ, Pivot at Center, and OBJ Write Normals but was missing OBJ Merge points and OBJ ZBrush Mode. I am not sure if this is connected or not but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight anyone might be able to give.

JBT27
11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
You might like to sign up for the open beta on 9.5.1 to see any advancements in this area.

I had serious problems with OBJ taken into the Acrobat3D format, for PDF, some of which I suspect were related to what you describe here.

OBJ point order was changed, and maybe other stuff, I don't know. But if you are up for some open beta, I'd have a look at that.

Julian.

RayO3D
11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I've thought about trying out 9.5.1 but wasn't quite sure what to do to be part of the open beta. I will dig around for that and check it out. I am thinking that since I appear to be missing a few things, I might just need to reinstall at some point because it feels like a program problem almost.

On a side note, I have not been able to find much information on the new OBJ items on the General Options window. I checked the LW Wiki and help but didn't run into any luck on those fronts. Is there an update or brief detail on those I might be missing?

Thanks again for the help.
Ray

RayO3D
11-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Well the good news is that 9.5.1 cleared up the problem. Hopefully, it will get the official release sooner rather than later (not that I have a problem with using the Beta but it seems the key expires rather soon).

Kuzey
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
not that I have a problem with using the Beta but it seems the key expires rather soon

The key is renewed every 30 days on your product page.

Kuzey

RayO3D
11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Ah... cool. Thanks I didn't know that (new to the open beta obviously).

JBT27
11-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Well the good news is that 9.5.1 cleared up the problem. Hopefully, it will get the official release sooner rather than later (not that I have a problem with using the Beta but it seems the key expires rather soon).

Glad it worked out!

Julian.