PDA

View Full Version : Trick the VT or Tricaster to make a Realtime Flash File

Kurt_Henning
11-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Ok here is my idea.

I want to play back files from the "Live PRoduction" part of the TCP v2. I want to simply make an archived file in the flash format.

AFAIK, I must be "connected" to the internet, have a valid publishing point, stream, and archive my flash stream.

With Windows Media, I can use the Pull streaming and do this without actually streaming.

Is there any way to trick the TC or VT into thinking that you are streaming to a publishing point, for the sole purpose of making the flash file in "realtime."

This likely is not simple, or it would have been included in the update.

I am NOT an IT person, so I can think of a concept, but executing it is another matter.

I bet many users would benefit. Any ideas or discussion is appreciated.

Even though I am asking about the Tricaster Pro, but for today, I would like to make this work with VT5.2b. If this can work on one system, I have hope we can do it in the same or similar way.

Kurt from Avalon Video

rally1
11-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I have wondered this too. The easy way would be to send it to an active "dummy" publishing point on the web. The downside is you are going to saturate your upstream bandwidth.
One alternative might be to send the stream to a flash server on your local network, avoiding actually going out onto the web. If you took that one step further you could send the stream to yourself. Ie setup a publishing point on the TC and push it to 127.0.0.1 etc. I just made that up, so I have no idea if it would work as I have yet to test it, but in theory it would.

Kurt_Henning
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
We need a propellor head / IT guy to give us the straight dope on this.......

It's beyond me. I know what I want to achieve, but I am doubtful that I can solve this without assistance.

But, lots of people could benefit after they lock on my brainwaves about the idea itself.

Thanks for the response. At least it's not only me that can see the value in creating this type of file "on the fly" and in real-time.

K

billmi
11-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Don't know about on TC Pro, but on Tricaster, why not just run Adobe Flash Media Encoder on the desktop, set VT as it's video source and set it to save to swf file on disk instead of stream. Seems a lot less complicated than trying to set up loop-back stream or re-direct the VT encoder's stream.

Kurt_Henning
11-22-2008, 08:00 AM
That's a tip. I will try that Bill.

I had not considered that. I have never touched the AFME on the desktop. I am on version 2.5, so I hope that won't cause problems, since technically I am supposed to be on version2. It autoupdated, I think, or an intern "helped." and upgraded the software and all the windows "hotfixes" and so forth.

rally1
05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Updated for those that search.
From the FAQ

When I am TriCasting, how can I record my Flash stream without connecting to a server?
Attempting to record a Flash live stream without anything in the address window causes an error, preventing you from recording.

To write to disk without publishing point, type the following in the location field:
rtmp://localhost/live

Type anything into the Stream ID but don't leave it blank or it will give you an error.