PDA

View Full Version : Just Games....Anykind you like

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Hello everyone :)

Lets have this thread for all kinda games. Not just the ones described in the title, like we have came to see. In them game threads with a title, it kinda its limiting on that specific game that you may or may not have a thing to say, it largely depends on weather you even have the game. But this thread here, we can talk about any game that you have just purchased, any game that has left you with great emotional experience, and so on and so forth.

I got myself that Devil May Cry part 3 and 4 series. It says in Wiki that Chronologically the first part starts from 3!

They do that as you may know. They mix up story parts, so as in the confusion youll wanna know more about it, and end up having all the series.

Anyway, the hero shoots, slices with his sword, does tricks AND some guarding that I have yet to figure what it is about.

The movement has a good feel in it. Nicely animated. The graphics are more of a console as you say. But it has a great story thus far. And you get to kill Mr. Death like looking characters.

BTW the hero is a demon, that for some reason fights its own kind (even against his own brother demon) for the cause of humankind! Rather unlikelly to hapen, but this is a 'say it did, this is what you'd had' kinda story.

I have a Warriors of Orochi now. But the character movement is too fast. This too, like the rest I only checked out for 5 minutes in my computer. But it just didnt get me for some reason.

Hey I got Jaws :) . Thought I should see how it feels to rule the oceans! Appart from it too beeing a bit too fast for the huge shark, everything else is smooth and straightforwar. You get to pick what you chew even! As well as see the waterworld through the Sharks eyes! Its one of them, easy going games really. Alotta blood and body parts though.

Samurai Warriors I have yet to install, will get back to you on that shortly.

So, whatabout you? Any cool games youve purchased recently? Or whats your best ever thus far?

Sande
11-19-2008, 02:27 AM
World of Goo (http://www.2dboy.com/games.php) was a nice little experience, just finished it last night (and now I need coffee - lots of coffee...)
Maybe a little short, but well worth the money, $20.00 USD. Available for Win, Wii and OSX, Linux coming soon. :)

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 03:29 AM
Ahh yes. I forgot the links:

Devil May Cry (http://www.devilmaycry.com/dmc3/main.html)

Orochi Warriors Part 1 (http://warriorsorochi.co.uk/)

Jaws (http://www.jawsthegame.com/)

Samurai Warriors (http://www.koei.com/sw2xl/)

World of Goo huh? It doesnt attracts me that much graphically Sande. Is there a special feel to it to compensate for that?

mav3rick
11-19-2008, 05:58 AM
is this pc oriented thread or consoles count in also?

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Any game mav3rick! Just as long as it is a Video Game.

Meaning played on a screen.

P.S - Inace kako ide tamo? Jell se radi sa 3D-om dovoljno? Vazno da se radi? Pozdrav svima.

safetyman
11-19-2008, 06:10 AM
I just bought Left 4 Dead and played it for 4 hours last night. It's a great game, very intense. I love it.

Exception
11-19-2008, 06:16 AM
World of Goo!
It's amazingly lots of fun... for very little. It's beautiful, the music is great, the game play is never repetitive, always challenging and exciting. Really awesome.

I don't like games with serious physical violence. I don't find that 'entertainment'. If anyone has any great games that don't involve massacring people, I'm game!

Matt
11-19-2008, 06:23 AM
FPS all the way baby! :)

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 06:25 AM
FPS all the way baby! :)

Whats that? Football for Play Station ;)

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Left for Dead! Meh, Ive got enough action for now. But, if I hear some more of World of Goo, I think Im gonna get it. So, you try to save the 'Goo people'? Whats your role? How do you intervene? Whatda you do technically?

Lets say the Lemings. You would command any in the bunch to do a certain thing, in order to save the majority. Thats the technique, commanding the characters. Whatabout here in World of Goo?

doimus
11-19-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm playing Fallout (the original one) yet again, after being constantly victimized by clipping, stuck between polygons, and crashed out of the Fallout 3. It's amazing how much depth do those older games have in comparison to the new one. And 640x480 orthogonal graphics rock!

And just got Nintendo Wii last week - been playing Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart on that. Little dissapointed in both of those games, since neither uses the wiimote efficiently. Mario Kart actually plays better with Gamecube pad.

Exception
11-19-2008, 06:39 AM
DiedonD: It has quite a fun story line and narrative...
You command the Goo... which takes different shapes, and character... and only if they're not sleeping. The game is not unsimilar to lemmings, perhaps a bit The Incredible Machine like as well.
Just look up a video on youtube.

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Pozdrav Doimuse :)

Fallout is free isnt it?

http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000587850

Ill checkitout later, looks good though, thanks.

Exception: So its getting them Goo's to the pipes mission huh. Sounds relaxing. Ill get it sometime then. Thanks.

Where are you anyway? Back to Netherlands?

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey, let me tell you about a great game experience I had once in Onimusha 4. Id should spice up this thread a bit. So as usual you gain power as you go along the way by intaking souls that youve killed from Genmas. Their evil creatures made to destroy mankind (as usual).

In order to hit the G spot in the games, and taste its bones to the last bits really, is by going to Hell with all your characters. And, I dont know weather youve known this, but people, let it be known, Hell has 100 levels :D

And on the 100th level theres a demon, bunny like looking character. Hops around and speaks in English accent, with big bunny ear like horns. We called him the bunny. Although, by the time you got to him, lats like after 2-4 hours of play, and alas after all Hell you get to him, you get anxious cause, if you died in any level, youd HAD to start from level 1 again!!! To calm that, we called him The Bunny.

Anyway, there are alot of necklaces and rings that one can put to himself in order to make more damage. And one of them was a Fudo Horn. It increased damage greatly, but you could no longer guard against anything. The other was another horn, I dont know the name, but for the price of horrible damage to your opponents it drained your life energy! Plus with a High King Ring, you were deadly fatally to them. But, for that much damage, you had now became a sitting duck to them aswell (no guard, and no life energy, the later horn would drain till the end, but wouldnt kill you).

And I was on the quest to get the Great Gokumonji sword. A terrible sword mate, you would be scarred to look at it twice ;) . It was on the 100 level, and right when I was on level 76 or so, a huge Green Genma General jumped straight at me from the middle of the bunch and sliced me through. And I died.

Now heres where it got interesting. The Onimusha's after they die, they turn to the deadliest creatures to have ever lived. Immortal and fatal damage to all. But it only lasts for a short while. And you had to have the Oni Drive Energy Pink bar filled in order to insure you that transformation for a while after death.

The moment that got me most, was that when that Green General jumped at me, that Oni Pink Drive bar was nearly on the midle. And wasnt active yet, it had to take a longer while for it to be filled. And with that huge General Genma on the air with its huge sword aimed at me, mind you I had no life energy and no guard (see hornes) I thought I was doomed for, and JUST THEN, as if time slowed down, and THEE most required tiny and desperately Onimusha Drive got filled, JUUUUST BEFORE I GOT SLICED MAN! I mean that was in miliseconds!!!! :D:D:D Ohh I would never forget that moment when I was suppose to die, and for a luckiest milisecond time, the Onimusha Drive got active JUST in time, cause it filled tinny bit more than a half, all this just in time, for me to insure an Onimusha Awakening, and buldoze the rest to oblivion!!

Priceless moment really!

I can say freely that going to Hell with all your characters is alot harder than beating the last boss. Cause by the time all of them got their most powerful weapons, that were in the 100th level, all become so powerful, and had gained so many advantages, that the main boss was a piece of cake afterwards, would easily be defeated in 2 minutes even.

Anyway, that was a great moment I experienced. Thought Id share it with you :)

And I checked Youtube BTW. But cant find images of Hell sadly...

art
11-19-2008, 08:07 AM
I like most types of games as long as they are properly executed, including fps, rts, adventure, puzzle, rpg, action. Adventure games seem to be dying species. The last game in the genre I recall playing was Escape from Monkey Island. Anyone knows of any good titles?

Recently I've been playing mostly rpg games. I really enjoyed gothic 2. I finished the witcher just a couple of months ago. Great game, but I am not sure if I liked the overall approach. I usually do not want to miss anything in a game, but in Witcher you will definetely miss certain parts, depending on the path you take or simply by not being in the right place at the right time. And I never feel like replaying games as big as this. Once you play it once, the story is not as engaging the second time.

The only type of games I actually do not like (as in hate, despise) are online games. Sucks for me, that seems to be the new trend. I'd rather play with AI on my own pace than be taken out in nanosecond by some kid playing the game all day long (no offense to other online players here). I got really pissed off by Battlefield 2. I should have read reviews before purchasing it, my fault really. I expected it more like battlefield 1942, which I enjoyed a lot. They should at least mention on the box that the single player campaigns and gameplay are really really crippled compared to the online versions.

DiedonD
11-19-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't like games with serious physical violence. I don't find that 'entertainment'. If anyone has any great games that don't involve massacring people, I'm game!

To the contrary I consider a Video Game if youll have to go through things that cannot/shouldnt be experienced on real life. Then its a good game worthy of considering it further to me.

But non violence... hmmm... But whatabout massacring non humans? Threats to humankind? How about that?

Otherwise

http://www.miniclip.com/games/bloxorz/en/

IMI
11-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I thought Syberia 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/syberia2/index.html) was a really cool game, with really nice graphics.
More of a puzzle solver than anything, and the puzzles were genuinely unique.

Nangleator
11-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I've been playing on the cheap for quite a while. Old games and free ones, too.

Silent Hunter III (on Steam) is more a way of life than a game. You play a U-boat commander in WW2. The thing about it is, as the war goes on, the 'play' gets less and less fun, until your patrols are positively traumatic. Think of it more as an educational simulation.

Gran Turismo 4 on PS2. I just keep going back to this. If I could speak to the designers, I'd have pages of ways to improve the game. It's flawed. But I just keep going back anyway.

Desktop Tower Defense. If you don't think you can be addicted to a game, play a couple hours of this and then try to stop.

Spider Solitaire. On Easy, I've got a record of 90% wins after many hundreds of games. That feels pretty good compared to regular solitaire. On Medium, I can't get my percentage of wins above 1%. I've never tried Hard.

warmiak
11-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Company Of Heroes and Call Of Duty 4 - multiplayer only.

CMT
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I just finished Gears of War 2 a few nights ago. The Campaign was great, thought the story was cheesy as hell.

I played multiplayer online for a bit and it was great, but I especially like the new Horde mode. Basically it's an arcade mode where you have to fight wave after wave of Locust (the bad guys) and the waves get progressively harder. It's co-op for up to 5 people too.

My wife got Fallout 3 and Fable 2 wrapped up for me, but I have to wait until Christmas before she'll let me unwrap them. I figured Gears will keep me occupied until then. But can't wait to dive into those as well.

Anyone check out Dead Space? Is it any good?

Other games I'd like to check out:
CoD: World At War
Tom Clancy's End War (RTS game)
Dance Revolution (just kidding....)

adamredwoods
11-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm playing Lightwave Rigging Game. It's puzzle oriented.

Nangleator
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Heh. I like the Radiosity Rendering game from them. Frame rate is abysmal, though.

TheDynamo
11-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I just finished Mass Effect and I think the animation team did a great job with how the various creatures move. A good amount of it is MoCap but there are a few of the Geth characters that have some fantastic movement that had to have been keyframed. Great graphics.

-Dyn

IMI
11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been playing on the cheap for quite a while. Old games and free ones, too.

Silent Hunter III (on Steam) is more a way of life than a game. You play a U-boat commander in WW2. The thing about it is, as the war goes on, the 'play' gets less and less fun, until your patrols are positively traumatic. Think of it more as an educational simulation.

Pretty cool, is it?

I've been perched on the order button for that game several times now, but I had to ask myself at the last minute every time if I'd enjoy it.

I tried the Microsoft Flight Simulator X demo and got so aggravated I couldn't stand it - that's one game I'm definitely glad I demo'd before buying.

Exception
11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
To the contrary I consider a Video Game if youll have to go through things that cannot/shouldnt be experienced on real life.

Difference in outlook I guess.
the things I don't want to happen in life for me are not entertainment. I don't want them simulated either.
I rather do something which is impossible, really fantastical or exciting. Not simulated terror. But as I said, it's preference.

Syberia is okay. It look sbetter than it plays. Longest Journey is better. but they really don't make adventures like they used to. The Day of the tentacle, Under a Killing Moon, Beneath a Steel Sky... to name a few...

Nangleator
11-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Pretty cool, is it?

I've been perched on the order button for that game several times now, but I had to ask myself at the last minute every time if I'd enjoy it.
Definitely recommended. The online community has supported it with endless mods, some of which increase the value an incredible amount.

Stock SHIII runs great on my 5-year-old dual 3.0 GHz with a GeForce 5600. It ran the Grey Wolves mod too slowly, though.

You can ramp the difficulty from nearly childish simplicity to doing complex math in your head to make the eels reach their targets.

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Difference in outlook I guess.
the things I don't want to happen in life for me are not entertainment. I don't want them simulated either.
I rather do something which is impossible, really fantastical or exciting. Not simulated terror. But as I said, it's preference.

Yes preference. But I need to clarify my point. The thing is, neither do I want aggression expressed in those volumes in real life. And thats why Im releasing it in harmless ways in Video Games. Its a twist let me explain.

See Froyd says, there are two given, build in passions basically, that seek out for objects to get an outlet. Those of course are: To make love (sex), and to kill (agression).

And those energies just find themselves an outlet with or without your permission (say unconsciously).

So now, instead of trying to supress the natural aggression build in, and have the outlet come out in ways youre not aware of, and be sorry for it afterwards, id rather provide an object for it to be released on. And theres where the enemy in the games becomes a worthy needed issue.

Nobody wants terror mate. But when it builds in you, you see a shiny Jin Kazama (Tekken series - martial arts) kicking ***, and you just wanna be a part of it you know.

On another issue.

Samurai Warriors 2 is alot better then Orochi Warriors. The characters have style, its slower and alot better animated. Each character has its own story to tell, and its a sword battlefield campaign.

The games Ive bought Id rate:

1) Devil May Cry 3,
2) Samurai Warriors 2,
3) Jaws Unleashed,
4) Orochi Warriors.

Exception
11-20-2008, 02:00 AM
See Froyd says, there are two given, build in passions basically, that seek out for objects to get an outlet. Those of course are: To make love (sex), and to kill (agression).

Freud's been proven wrong so many times on that, buying into the idea that everyone needs to have an outlet for aggression is as much a preference as the act of doing it. Not every man wants to have sex with their mother either ;) There's no basis for an intrinsic human property concerning killing at all. In fact, quite the opposite, we seem to have intrinsic empathetical and altruistic properties in neutral circumstances.

If you enjoy playing these games, please, enjoy them. But to argue it should be something mentally healthy for everyone... not so much :)

I think it also depends on your perception and ability/willingness to be absorbed by a game. Just as with movies, games really become an environment that is valid in and of themselves for me. It's a form of reality, although perhaps not material. I just don't enjoy watching realistic imagery of people having their lives ended, not in any way. Death is not funny, and not to be trivialized.

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Freud's been proven wrong so many times on that, buying into the idea that everyone needs to have an outlet for aggression is as much a preference as the act of doing it. Not every man wants to have sex with their mother either ;) There's no basis for an intrinsic human property concerning killing at all. In fact, quite the opposite, we seem to have intrinsic empathetical and altruistic properties in neutral circumstances.

If you enjoy playing these games, please, enjoy them. But to argue it should be something mentally healthy for everyone... not so much :)

I think it also depends on your perception and ability/willingness to be absorbed by a game. Just as with movies, games really become an environment that is valid in and of themselves for me. It's a form of reality, although perhaps not material. I just don't enjoy watching realistic imagery of people having their lives ended, not in any way. Death is not funny, and not to be trivialized.

LOL. Not the mother huh ;) . Yes hes been a target for that for ages.

I agree that death is not funny. But, surely you too would like to be the cause of the death of certain objects. Some would indeed require our fury. Some we would be greatly better without. Especially since were growing populatively speaking.

And of course im talking about: viruses, lethal bacteria, carriers of them, and useless bloodsucking parasites (insect mostly).

Wouldnt you wanna kill them, if one of those viruses causes fever to someone you love, and meaninglessly to the undoing of themselves aswell. (Viruses die aswell after the host goes)

So aggression was always needed. Thats why we have it. But we have ran out of objects to release em to. Them invisible cursed magical microscopic creatures that are the problem, not to mention ibolla and the rest, are good enough of objects to release destruction upon, for only a selective group of people. Bio scientists and the like.

Whatabout us? Where should we release? I think games play a role in that. Sports too.

Of course, Im not saying. 'Listen Exception, You will learn to like to kill and thats FINAL!!!' LOL. :) :) :D You like what you like. All Im saying we cannot deny that there is such a motion within us. And since there is, we all have ways to deal with it. Me, I think games help in that regard.

safetyman
11-20-2008, 05:43 AM
If you want a really really fun game with no violence try Trackmania. It's a non-traditional racing game with a huge worldwide community, hundreds of tracks, user-created content, and it's very addicting.

Exception
11-20-2008, 06:38 AM
And of course im talking about: viruses, lethal bacteria, carriers of them, and useless bloodsucking parasites (insect mostly).

I was talking about people, and animals and so on. The need to kill for self defense or protection of loved ones or the weak isn't a need, it's a necessity brought on by particular circumstances... one that I wouldn't want to be confronted with if I have the choice.

It's because many of the movies and games out there actually do feel it necessary to have a great many people die in them. Sometimes that's unavoidable, if you want to relay important stories from war or great disasters or tragedy.. but many times its also unnecessary and I prefer not to be confronted with those.

Nice example is the movie 'sunshine' which I went to watch unknowingly... it was set up as a very well thought out and prepared movie, details made sense, the personalities were believable, the plot was far-out but interesting... it was bad enough and tragic that these people were offering their lives to save humanity... we knew that from the start... and then suddenly, at one point in the movie it becomes a monster-hiding-on-spaceship-slashing-people-at-random flick... I was not happy with that, some of the characters who had been built up as noble, caring, smart and vivid people where destroyed graphically in moments... and for what?

It made me angry, really, it did. Violated, in a way. Who wants to tell a story like that? It's terrible. Really. Just personal opinion of course, I'm sure lots of people enjoyed it... I just don't.

I've always thought it is much more difficult to make a movie or a game that's positive and plays on more joyous sides of life, intelligent and exciting, and actually make it good, and not childish, tacky or sweepy tear jerking sweet. It's reasonably easy to make a film of a depressed soul-wrenching character, or pull emotion through murder and violence, than it is to show real human emotion in a solid context. Take Stalker, Tarkovski's movie... nobody dies, but still one of the most profound films I've ever seen. Waking Life, Reconstruction.... etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince, just explain. I don't have any moral problems with any stories, I just prefer some over others. So, if anyone has some fun games out there that don't require the realistic massacre of many human beings, I'd be happy to hear about them :)

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 07:47 AM
I was talking about people, and animals and so on. The need to kill for self defense or protection of loved ones or the weak isn't a need, it's a necessity brought on by particular circumstances... one that I wouldn't want to be confronted with if I have the choice.

It's because many of the movies and games out there actually do feel it necessary to have a great many people die in them. Sometimes that's unavoidable, if you want to relay important stories from war or great disasters or tragedy.. but many times its also unnecessary and I prefer not to be confronted with those.

Nice example is the movie 'sunshine' which I went to watch unknowingly... it was set up as a very well thought out and prepared movie, details made sense, the personalities were believable, the plot was far-out but interesting... it was bad enough and tragic that these people were offering their lives to save humanity... we knew that from the start... and then suddenly, at one point in the movie it becomes a monster-hiding-on-spaceship-slashing-people-at-random flick... I was not happy with that, some of the characters who had been built up as noble, caring, smart and vivid people where destroyed graphically in moments... and for what?

It made me angry, really, it did. Violated, in a way. Who wants to tell a story like that? It's terrible. Really. Just personal opinion of course, I'm sure lots of people enjoyed it... I just don't.

I've always thought it is much more difficult to make a movie or a game that's positive and plays on more joyous sides of life, intelligent and exciting, and actually make it good, and not childish, tacky or sweepy tear jerking sweet. It's reasonably easy to make a film of a depressed soul-wrenching character, or pull emotion through murder and violence, than it is to show real human emotion in a solid context. Take Stalker, Tarkovski's movie... nobody dies, but still one of the most profound films I've ever seen. Waking Life, Reconstruction.... etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince, just explain. I don't have any moral problems with any stories, I just prefer some over others. So, if anyone has some fun games out there that don't require the realistic massacre of many human beings, I'd be happy to hear about them :)

Yeah I get your point. Massacring humans isnt one of your (or mine) games. And there are rarely such games out there anyway. But there are other ones like Onimusha for instance. Now they arent human, are dusty evil creatures. And they attack first! And you have then a hero. That has a skill or two, to be modest, and says a big NO to their evil advances, that are done to the cost of us humans!

And then you have possesivness. Evil poseses the otherwise good and human creatures. And what you end up fighting later on is that specific evil, seperated from the host and targeted accordingly. That seperate evil, by me, is not by a coincidence that has an insect form too.

So, killing non human threats is alot more prefered game if youd ask me. Its like the world is left to you to save, kinda thrill. Thereby violence is more tolerated in that sense then.

But I agree, Ive seen pointless, aggressive games, where a guy wonders around , hijacking cars, causing damage throughout, to walking by people to no apparent reason, and doing all kinda psychopatic deeds to no apparent goal! And Its a hit game too, sadly. Very popular, and I dont recall its name. Thats how much that crazy loose chaotic aggressive game attracked me. I dont even recall its name.

But hey, theres all kinda fish in the sea. How did you like the link I sent you? Its alotta fun and brain training. Its pretty simple (not), just slide the box to its appropriate hole. :D

doimus
11-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah I get your point. Massacring humans isnt one of your (or mine) games. And there are rarely such games out there anyway.

You mean, except entire Call of Duty, Gears of War, Halo series, and 99% of all other FPS and RTS games?

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
You mean, except entire Call of Duty, Gears of War, Halo series, and 99% of all other FPS and RTS games?

Pardon?

I dont know of those games. Is slaughter/massacres involved in them?

Why would anyone make a game that massacres innocent people?

I never thought that that would be so widespread? You got an image to prove me wrong?

Exception
11-20-2008, 10:34 AM

That's been my impression as well. War games, shooting games, killing games...
Most of the 3D shoot them ups are of this nature... and if not human-shaped, certainly shooting intelligent creatures of some sort.

I mean you have to question at some point why someone would create a plot that puts someone in an awful position with just monstrous maniacal flesh-ripping creatures around it to shoot... I mean, that plot in itself would bore me to tears, and make me question.... why, in whoever's name would you want to develop this? Apparently many people feel its worth doing that as it seems the end of the stick for many 3D shooters, which seem to be the target of most game development.

Besides, I find the game play usually uninspirational and uninventive. We've seen 3d shooters. c'mon, is this all we can do with a computer?

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Man... Im speechless.

I thought you were arguing against ordinary aggression, that depending on the story plot, would require you to kick some non humans, that are a threat to human kind, looking every more and then like them viruses and bacteria, insects, and doing all that in the name of saving the world, type of action!! I mean thats real fun. Your means of causing destruction to them is fully just, accepted, required and positevely supported upon release.

Now I havent played them games that you mention. But if the object is innocent humans beeing slaughtered! Then its totally despicable and yucky revolting game to me!

I like more of the first kind of games.

Take Onimusha for instance. They used human bodies for their demonic purposes of opening a portal of some sort. Theyd stuck humans inside trees, and they would cry hopelessly inside there!! Now how do you not Samurai Finish Off such evil, after theyve been put down and lie there on the floor?!

One of the good guys is Roberto. And he had iron knuckle guards :) . And man, rarely did anyone of them dusty demons stood on their feet when you applied aye **RUSH** on'em :D:thumbsup:

CMT
11-20-2008, 11:26 AM
That's been my impression as well. War games, shooting games, killing games...
Most of the 3D shoot them ups are of this nature... and if not human-shaped, certainly shooting intelligent creatures of some sort.

I mean you have to question at some point why someone would create a plot that puts someone in an awful position with just monstrous maniacal flesh-ripping creatures around it to shoot... I mean, that plot in itself would bore me to tears, and make me question.... why, in whoever's name would you want to develop this? Apparently many people feel its worth doing that as it seems the end of the stick for many 3D shooters, which seem to be the target of most game development.

Besides, I find the game play usually uninspirational and uninventive. We've seen 3d shooters. c'mon, is this all we can do with a computer?

Because it's fun! That's why. :)

Seriously, you can't take these games too... seriously. Why is there sports like hunting, paintball, and such? People like to shoot things. Mindless shooter games have been around since Space Invaders. Only technology allows us to see the details of the creatures now. Most FPS games have crappy plots. Take Left 4 Dead that just came out. It basically has NO plot whatsoever. But it's a hit with a lot of players. But 99% of them are bought for multiplayer online matches where they just shoot each other. It's more of a sport now, just like paintball. Only from your comfy couch.

But just because a game has make believe gore in it doesn't make it insensitive to gory reality. Take myself as an example. In games, my motto is, the more gib (slang for gore in games) the better. But when I see dismembered limbs in reality, I get very squirmy. Watching Saving Private Ryan was downright disturbing in some spots, yet playing Call of Duty games didn't phase me in the least. It's two separate things for me.

But I haven't come across any games where the object of the game is to slaughter innocent people. There's games like Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row which will let you, but there's consequences in the game when you do. And I'll never condone any game where that's the focus.

Sande
11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
World of Goo huh? It doesnt attracts me that much graphically Sande. Is there a special feel to it to compensate for that?

Actually, it is quite tight design-wise - it may lack the latest shader-effects, but it does have a very polished and stylish look all over.

It basically takes the basic idea of Pontifex (http://www.chroniclogic.com/) (aka Bridge Builder) and adds more to it. It has some very nice puzzles and a solid, physics based, gameplay - and now I start to sound like an advertisement... :D
------------------------
Regarding games with lots of killing - I recommend Introversion's Defcon. (http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/) There are very few other games where you can literally kill hundreds of millions of people - if that's your thing... ;)
It also manages to create a very chilling atmosphere without any graphical violence at all - well, almost without any graphics what so ever, to be exact.
Highly recommended - especially when played online.

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
There's games like Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row which will let you, but there's consequences in the game when you do. And I'll never condone any game where that's the focus.

Yes that one I was refering to when I couldnt recall its name!

Just shoot up ordinary Joe's walking normally in the streets for no good reason!!

I dont get that! Whats the point! Why? Rip of people from their cars, shotem on sight, go further away, do it again. I mean its like, 'hey everyone lets see who best can learn how to live like a lowest thug!'.

Now killing non humans, that dare think to conquer us! Thats fun for me :D

doimus
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Seriously, you can't take these games too... seriously. Why is there sports like hunting, paintball, and such? People like to shoot things. ......
......It's more of a sport now, just like paintball. Only from your comfy couch.

No, people like to HUNT things down. It's not the kill - it's the thrill of the chase that matters. And I hate when some stupid shooter game like COD4 turns the hunting aspect into a mindless instant gratification fest.

It's the "hunting gene" that makes people finish Super Mario Brothers in five minutes. It's the same with point'n'click adventures, it's the same in "just one more turn" Sid Meier games. OK, maybe sometimes a civilization gets nuked in Sid Meier's games, but that's not killing - that's statistics!:D

archijam
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM

What are you doing here :) ??

Get your butt over to the LW ZBrush material thread (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91717) and test your greyhounds in 9.5.1 ! ;)

But I haven't come across any games where the object of the game is to slaughter innocent people. There's games like Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row which will let you, but there's consequences in the game when you do. And I'll never condone any game where that's the focus.
That's one reason why the 'elephant' film of gus van sant annoyed me. They invented a game where the shooters were walking around a desert killing people for no reason. It was an 'analogy' apparently. Very deep. **No derailing of topic intended, please drop subject**

Exception
11-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Seriously, you can't take these games too... seriously.

Well, that's your perogative.
I personally find any piece of entertainment that requires the ending of life of another human being as an element within the game not to be entertainment. And certainly not 'fun'.

I mean, I've played some games like Command & Conquer with a lot of pleasure, but that's certainly different than have this 'as real as possible' 3D shooters where you're walking around with a shotgun blowing the innards out of people. Duke Nukem? I'd rather be challenged on an intellectual level, or be involved in an intricate plot with atmosphere and mystery without resorting to that sort of stuff. And C&C has been less and less interesting the more real it has become. I liked 'Z'! Who remembers that?

If you like it, sure, really, have all the fun you want, but I'll kindly pass. I kindly pass on golfing and soccer games as well, by the way. Ha.

archijam
11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
I liked 'Z'! Who remembers that?

Me! And I still have your installation CD!

mwahahahahhhahahha ...

CMT
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
No, people like to HUNT things down. It's not the kill - it's the thrill of the chase that matters.

Not to me, especially in games like Halo, CoD4, and Gears. Cuz it's not about the chase in those games. To me, it's all about the score. I've always been very competitive at everything I do. I can't help it really. And in multiplayer FPS games, a kill is a point to me. And that's all.

And the idea of hunting in reality has never appealed to me. I shot a bird with my BB gun once when I was 10 and felt so awful I didn't play with it ever again. I'm just not a hunter at heart. I'm a gamer. :)

What are you doing here :) ??

Get your butt over to the LW ZBrush material thread (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91717) and test your greyhounds in 9.5.1 ! ;)

See, that's my problem. I get all set to get down and do some 3D work, then those bastard developers have to go and make games like Gears and Fallout so that I don't get anything done. :D

I personally find any piece of entertainment that requires the ending of life of another human being as an element within the game not to be entertainment. And certainly not 'fun'.

And that's OK. That's why there's so many different types of games out there.

If you like it, sure, really, have all the fun you want, but I'll kindly pass. I kindly pass on golfing and soccer games as well, by the way. Ha.

The only sports games I get into are racing games and Madden Football. Everything else sports related I just can't get into.

Exception
11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Me! And I still have your installation CD!

mwahahahahhhahahha ...

Oh so YOU have it!
I demand you install it at once on your Apple.

Korvar
11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
If you want a really really fun game with no violence try Trackmania. It's a non-traditional racing game with a huge worldwide community, hundreds of tracks, user-created content, and it's very addicting.

It's a lot of fun, but I had to uninstall it when the tracks became more difficult than my racing skills allowed :) I was getting very frustrated... but I'm entirely happy to ascribe this to my poor driving rather than any problems with the game!

adamredwoods
11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Not to me, especially in games like Halo, CoD4, and Gears. Cuz it's not about the chase in those games. To me, it's all about the score. I've always been very competitive at everything I do. I can't help it really. And in multiplayer FPS games, a kill is a point to me. And that's all.

And the idea of hunting in reality has never appealed to me. I shot a bird with my BB gun once when I was 10 and felt so awful I didn't play with it ever again. I'm just not a hunter at heart. I'm a gamer. :)

Competition vs. violence are distinct things. Some shooting games and playing paintball is more about competition than violence and killing.

What needs to be taught to people and youngsters is that violence is not a solution to a problem. I'd also say movies are more dangerous, since it glamorizes carrying a gun around.

There was also a study by Olson and Kutner that was done where children *DO* understand the difference between video games and reality.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j2WnG8lqlk_Ex1ZjZicf0uxbCRZw

Interesting.

Nangleator
11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
(Trackmania)... I had to uninstall it when the tracks became more difficult than my racing skills allowed :) I was getting very frustrated...
Same here. I wasn't much of a twitch player when I was half my current age.

I recently bought a rally game on Steam which looks and acts great with one serious flaw. It won't take input from a joystick or even mouse. I can imagine driving with the arrow keys, but not a rally racer.

In the campaign mode, I can tune up my car to win the first race. I've spent around twenty thousand on the car now, and played for several hours. I can't finish the second race in other than last position. I realize I will never be good enough to finish first in the very second race of the campaign mode. Not with arrow keys, anyway. And I'm not buying a stupid driving wheel for my home PC. My wife's family is here far too often.

*Pete*
11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Competition vs. violence are distinct things. Some shooting games and playing paintball is more about competition than violence and killing.

true...i remember when i used to play Delta force in a team.

we were pretty good, and on that level killing was not as important as winning...we played mostly Capture the flag and tactics and smart playing played a larger role in it than killing.

my part in the team was defence and i was quite an effective defender too...i let large groups of enemies go past unharmed and i waited untill the moment someone took one of our flags before i "killed them"..and preferably, if possible, i waited with killing the flag carrier untill he was in a terrain that made it very difficult for the opposing team to snatch the flag from where i killed the carrier.

my job was delaying the opposing team, forcing them to use more people in flag capturing than they would prefer, and allowing our team to be able to mass up on enemy flags.

our flag carriers too were specialised..often ignoring to fire back at the enemy, only trying to move the flags a few metres more towards our base.

we had others whose only job was to defend the carriers...often strategically placed so that they didnt get maximum kills but gave maximum protection to the carriers instead.

it was as close as you can get to a sport...there was a real dedication to win and the kill/death ratio often went down massively when we were competing compared to just having fun on public games.

it was good times...these days i have little time for games, or even a computer...it may seem as i am at these forums all the time, but the reality is that it is all i do with computers..from work mainly ;)
i have too little time for games..a shame, since it can be great fun.

DiedonD
11-20-2008, 11:31 PM
it was good times...these days i have little time for games, or even a computer...it may seem as i am at these forums all the time, but the reality is that it is all i do with computers..from work mainly ;)
i have too little time for games..a shame, since it can be great fun.

Same here Petri, same here. We are lost for the time beeing. There was a Doctor of Phillosophy that would laugh at its students who would say 'We have no time!' He'd reply 'Thats right we dont have time, time has us instead!'. I keep on thinking about that one. No time for goodies. I bought 4 games and am only looking at the huge HP Llaptop with those games in it for now. And only managed to test them for 5 minutes each thus far. And where's LW in all that. Byah. I sent you a PM once regarding a possible solution, and a way out of this. If you like you can PM me back on that one.

@Exception

I mean, I've played some games like Command & Conquer with a lot of pleasure, but that's certainly different than have this 'as real as possible' 3D shooters where you're walking around with a shotgun blowing the innards out of people. Duke Nukem? I'd rather be challenged on an intellectual level, or be involved in an intricate plot with atmosphere and mystery without resorting to that sort of stuff. And C&C has been less and less interesting the more real it has become. I liked 'Z'! Who remembers that?

Well there you go, you have me confused again! You dont like humans shooting innocent human games right? Duke Nukem kills pigs, gekos and other aliens mate!

How did Command and Conquer seem to you? I think you will like Commandos series then. Ive lost the CD sadly. But its strategic elite troops killing nazzis game. Youd love it, and its cheap now too.

Regarding sports. Ever tried Rugby :D

I did, and only had a wound in my neck, fingers and theres something wrong with my ribs lol

Exception
11-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Well there you go, you have me confused again! You dont like humans shooting innocent human games right? Duke Nukem kills pigs, gekos and other aliens mate!

No: senseless violence. Wether it's against pigs or humans, I don't care. Duke Nukem certainly is all about senseless violence. Even if they write a plot for it to make some remote sense, if it's all about running around shooting things, I don't see the fun in it.

I think you will like Commandos series then. Ive lost the CD sadly. But its strategic elite troops killing nazzis game. Youd love it, and its cheap now too.

I own the first commandos game. It was okay. I just generally steer clear from 'war' themed stories.

I havn't has as much fun as with World of Goo in a long time.
Also Dr Layton's curious village on the DS is great, and the sam & max chapters.

DiedonD
11-21-2008, 06:33 AM
I own the first commandos game. It was okay. I just generally steer clear from 'war' themed stories.

I havn't has as much fun as with World of Goo in a long time.
Also Dr Layton's curious village on the DS is great, and the sam & max chapters.

You do? Oh great. Ive played almost all the series. But my most prefered one was at Commandos 3.

Ok, there I was with my Spook on the roof of the building from where you could see the entire Gestapo group, that will escort a british traitor to high ranking nazzi officers at the other end. Now you couldnt granade that bunch directly. You never could do that with Commandos games. They had higher numbers, and would easily kill you. You had to use brains, and they were the elite commandos team, just for that purpose.

Furthermore, Im not sure, but perhaps you would loose the entire mission with direct appraoaches like that. As the traitor would abandon his mission of telling high intel to High Officer Nazzi's.

So all of them had to be removed from there silently! And they were crazy, almost 40 of them, heavily armed with machine guns, and you couldnt fool them with the disguize neither (Spook dresses like a nazzi, and may even order soldiers to walk over there and shoot them from behind. Spook was spooky enough to do that! And Im just scratching the surface here what you could do with him).

I entered inside and noticed that theres a very tall lader that gets you outside to the roof where I was before. And I thought I could use that to my advantage somehow. THEN!! IT occured to me! Heres what I did.

I dressed Spook like a General KNOWING that he indeed wont be able to fool the Gestapo even with that uniform. So I moved him right on the edge of that roof, knowing fully that they will see and recognize me in any second. The Spook calmly whisteling walked around with his hands on his pocket when "HHHAALLTT" one yelled!! And started shooting. All the rest of his gestapo coleagues had a peek and started shootin at me! The bullets were like centimeters behind from my running feet. Quickly I entered the roof door, and started going down that tall huge lader. And just as I made it down, all 40 or more of them entered the building and were going to look for me upstairs.

Meanwhile I geared my machine gun to the max by taking from others that no longer needed it, and lied down as it wasnt possible to confront all furious running heavily armed mass of gestapo's yet!

Very soon from that, ALL of them went outside to the roof to look for me, while I stood up and took my position inside down there right in front of the stairs standing in wait for them to come down the ladder.

Very shortly they were coming back dissapointed that they didnt find anything. And all the pieces of my ambush got put together, as I was now waiting to strike them all with a single machine gune, right at their MOST weakest position, WHILE THEY WERE CLIMBING DOWN THAT LADER!!!

TADTADATTADATDTADA TDATADTAD TADTADATTDATTDA TADTATDATA

My shooting alarmed the rest and now they too ran towards the lader to deal with me

TADTATDATATDATATATTDADTATDA

There were some 150 buillets on the machine gun. NON STOP SHOOTOUT! They were falling down the lader like rain. So I named this strategic plot "RAINING NAZZI'S"

On a sidenote. The shooting usually alarms everyone capable of hearing it, and may have sometime be a cause for the entire mission to fail. But in this plot, all the shooting happened INSIDE the building. Not a smalles peep did ever passed the thick Nazzi walls, and nothing was ever heard to the rest of the army outside.

Nangleator
11-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Ah, gaming stories, is it?

F-117 was a Microprose title that came out when the Stealth Fighter wasn't yet officially known. Late 80s? Early 90s? I believe it was EGA and not CGA graphics.

Not great to look at or listen to, but they knew how to create gameplay back then. At Microprose, at least.

So, picture this mission. I'm over Murmansk, ready to drop a Paveway on some dock facilities. Well, in order to stay stealthy in that game, you had to stay low and slow. There were fighters nearby, so I was a little too nervous about popping up to drop my weapon, so I got caught in my own blast. Damage lights lit up. The worst of it was a fuel leak.

Well, my nav computer shows I have no fuel reserve left. That tells me I won’t make it home. So I fly along for a bit thinking about what to try, and I realize the key to stretching my range is to burn more of that fuel in going faster and gaining altitute, rather than put along and let more fuel dribble out.

But the key to staying hidden was going low and slow!

So I had to balance those needs. I sped up until a sliver of fuel reserve appeared on the nav comp, and dipped low for going past radar sets.

I flamed out on the landing roll. Left me sweating and panting!

DiedonD
11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
So 'flamed out'! Did you make it and landed over, and switched off afterburners 'flamed out', or you exploded and failed 'flamed out'!?

Nangleator
11-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Engines died from fuel starvation. That's how accurate the nav computer was on that plane. You could know exactly how fast/slow you needed to go to have that tiny bit of fuel reserve left.

CMT
11-21-2008, 07:55 AM
I dunno. Violence in games has its place. And actually one of the funniest video game memories I have was of Quake 2 multiplayer. I was at a LAN party with about 5 other guys. We had our network together and was deep into the game. I got killed by my best friend from behind. When you die, the camera goes to seeing the world from your dead eyes. I then saw him come up to me and gloat over my body. I laughed a bit. But then he disappeared around the corner hallway I was looking at only to immediately reappear as a streak of splatter coming back into my view. This took place in about 3 or 4 seconds while still looking through my dead body's eyes. It was hilarious at the time. Ah... the good ol' days....

DiedonD
11-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Ohh, very well told Nangleator. Its as if I was on that airplane aswell. Had to know the ending you know. Had funny burning sensations though :D

Hey picture this one. Youll die laughing.

Your a British Officer, who after hearing secret inteligence, intend to tell it to the Nazzis. Your relaxing on your room, and awaiting the time when you will be informed of the escort to go to the next building where high ranking Nazzi Officers will be waiting for you to tell it and possibly get high ranks at the Nazzys. Your thinking how will that new Nazzi uniform look to you, you have no doubts that, now, YOU together will win the war over the Allies, and will one day speak to your relatives how good of a choice you made to switch sides when you knew what the ouctome was.

Your day dreaming is interrupted by a sudden ring while your contacted that the escort has now started. You slowly start walking the shadowy corridor, you hear some funny noises, but make it outside anyway.

The Armoured Car is there, but no escort. Not even the driver is there. Thats rather unusual you say. And start slowly walking away from it towards the corner over there to speak out to someone, for some lousy escort. You think that after the trouble you should at least deserve that much.

But nobody is in that corner neither. You encircle the building and theres noone anywhere!! Suddenly, you feel fragile in the open area, in the middle of Berlin, and your park walk slowly starts speeding up as the strangest fact of all is slowly and unwantingly kicking in. THERE ARE NO NAZZIZ IN THE MIDDLE OF BERLIN!!!

What could it be you ask? They cant all be gathered on that office. As you run in the middle of the city theres noone in sight!!! Then, you see the most shocking images you would ever see. THE TANK HAS EXPLODED TO BITS!!

Now you know something bad has happened, and run for your life, and your now runing straight for the meeting place. If its good enough for a high ranking Nazzi officers, you think, it should have a radio, and give you shellter until some bloody reinforcement arrives!!!

As you enter a narrow corridor you notice remote controled dynamite, but in the panick you think that its time bomb. It doesnt explodes luckily. And alas a calming fact appears in front of you. You finally have found one Nazzi in the middle of Berlin. You slow down your walk, and appraoch him smilingly awaiting an explanation to this all.

The Nazzi officer stands by the door, and authoritatively looks sharp on you. Closes up on you, and starts giving orders on you. Well, your in no position to refuze them, but are otherwise quite confused. The orders seem to be simple really. 'HALT'. And the officer says 'Go and look by the window!!'.

You get to the window, and look through, but theres nothing. The cold old Berlin without anyone at all. Nothing to look at all. Same old strange emptiness youve seen all along. Just as your about to turn angry and demand an explanation, you notice some small glow in far, faraway. As you try to focus and see what it is. BAM.... A small hole opens in the glass, and a Sniper Bullet goes right through the middle of your forehead!!

Explanations:

Its Comandos 3 again. And the entire city I had cleaned man. The tank too. I had a guy inside the traitors office, I had a bomb in the corridor, and had a big Scottich Green Barey with his infamous knife that couldve hunted him easily, cause he ran faster than all but the Thief. But decided to kill him with the Spook dressed like a Nazzi officer, and the Sniper at the other far end, through glass.

How did you like that? Hope you enjoyed it! And am all ears for more gaming stories...

Exception
11-21-2008, 08:18 AM
For whoever has never played Day of the tentacle... here's a bit of a plotline puzzle explanation for you...

Imagine you're in the future and you need a deck of cards. The only deck of cards still inexistence is being used by some old guys that are locked up in prison for something everyone forgot about. So, you steal the key and open the gate of the prison... but they won't come out! They're saying this is their home now and everyone's their friend, and they get food for free, so why bother to leave?

Well, at that point you have to find a way to get them out of there.. You take some white-out you found somewhere and smear it on a wooden fence that a cat keeps crawling under. Next time the cat does that, it rubs its back on the white-out and with the white stripe on its back, it looks just like a skunk. So then you use a butterfly net to capture the cat and throw it into the prison. Everyone screams and runs out of the prison because there's a skunk in it. There you go, you can now pick up the cards.

Most baffling piece of puzzle logic I've ever come across... :)

DiedonD
11-22-2008, 12:47 AM
I gotta get myself a Gamepad. I noticed the keys were taking alot more presure than there were use to!

Never had one before. Can anyone say something about it? Is it the same as PS2? Does it has any unwanted sideffects?

Exception
11-22-2008, 06:22 AM
You obviously never played Disc World then :) (dunno if it was on any other systems than the original Playstation).

Indeed I have... not just 1, but number 2 as well and Disc world Noir... which wasn't very good though.

Sam & Max hit the road had some brain benders as well :)

I'll check out a vampyre story...
A very nice quick free point & click is 'the vacuum'. You can play it in an hour or so, but it's quite well done.

Matt
11-24-2008, 02:40 AM
I quite like Dragon's Lair!

;)

DiedonD
11-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I quite like Dragon's Lair!

;)

Im sure you can do better than that Matt :) . Come onnnn! Whats your experience? How's the hang as they say? Any links or stories? Put some spica in it Matt style :)

Im playing Samurai Warriors 2 and am beggining to like it :) . You have a set of characters, and their stories. Its war tribes in Japan.

Come to think of it this is the second game that I find Nobunaga Oda beeing mentioned! He was the emperor of Japan at one time, known for diplomacy and use of guns rather than katana's. But hes been demonized in more than one game thus far! So whats the deal? Beeing diplomatic kinda makes you think he oughta be among the good guys, but hes been no shorter than a devil himself in the games Ive played!!!

DiedonD
12-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Samurai Warriors 2 Sumup

Its one of them quick games. Not too good graphics, not too bad. Not too much thinking, not just beat anything that comes on your way easily and move on forward to the next level neither. Its like in the middle of them all conquering lands type of game.

And yes you get to slay hundreds of soldiers, dozen of officers and other well known characters, which you play themselves in another campaign.

You get to ride a horse, which in the game is as solid as a tank. It runs through hundreds of soldiers, leveling them down, and get to sword them from above in that horse.

What Ive noticed thus far too is, that somehow unreal or historic wars are somehow more just compared to real car stealing thug games. The reason beeing, swords, horses, as well as magicall creatures are either a thing of the past or practically impossible to occur. With that impossibility they make these games to see how it mustve feel like.

Anyway, I have Devil May Cry, but havent played it still cause I know this game would be under its shadow afterwards and want to finish it before I go on with another one. Do you have that feeling? Finish one game, before starting another one? Or just whichever one is best at a certain time wherever the level you may have left it the last time you played it?

kopperdrake
12-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok - I'll bite. Having started playing games on the old Sinclair ZX81 when I was 11 I've seen most consoles and computer styles, and have to say I play for escapism. I also don't play for the voilence aspect - I'm not big on games involving oodles of blood and genuinely don't want to be 'scared' - for that same reason I don't like watching horror/excessively gory movies.

For escapism - World of Warcraft - been playing on and off for three years but really don't have the time to do it justice. Reasons I like it? The genuine vastness of the world you're in - total escapism. The quality of the art, within the game and at its conceptual stage, there are some exceptionally talented artists at Blizzard. The stories in the game - the depth is fantastic. The variation in types of play you get - I quite like the solo playing within the game but with the knowledge that there are other gamers you can tag up with if the mood takes you. It just keeps you coming back and I'm in total admiration for the complexity of the game.

I also like the computer version of the Settlers of Catan - mainly because I love the board game and it gives me a quick 20 minute fix if I have something rendering ;)

But my main outlet is still Counterstrike: Condition Zero. Not because of the war theme but because of the team play aspect and the testing of your own skill within the game. I play regularly with a UK-based clan who have people from all over Europe - I've known some of them for around 5 years and we've met a few times in person. For me the game is fantastic mainly down to the people you meet - both sexes, all ages, all backgrounds, and the guys I play with have a no-swearing policy on their server, just decent clean fun with plenty of banter.

I'm not one for non-multiplayer games these days, I love the social aspect.

DiedonD
12-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Ive played games ever since ZX Spectrum was available. And we had purchased it then, even though it was as expensive as a Grand Cave Monster PC may be these days! The main game of the time was Manic Miner! Does anyone at ALL know of the game? Anyone?

Its a white character that jumped around gathering keys. When you gathered all keys, jumping through various creatures, and jumping from key areas to get close enough on the keys and not get hit on spikey things, as well as move fast away from the falling land. It was a top game at the time, like 1990 or before maybe. You failed, and lost all your lives, a huge feet would come from above and slam step on you, and you couldnt move away!

Gore games are alright if the object may interpreted as a real threat in real life. I think making hell to: parasites, bacteria, viruses or imaginary creatures that kinda seem like them, is alright to do so. And playing games helps in that regard. Onimusha would stand above the lying dusty creature and Execute a samurai style sword penetration to the throught or chest. And furthermore if you clicked twice, he'd stabb furthermore deeper the second time! But the creature killed is imaginary dusty evil person, dusty...Bacteria, evil, if you dont kill it intends to execute you, so...

And yeah, escapism. Passing through the now stressful times more easily, until the potentially better days in the future.

I too enjoy playing with another gamer against the computer. That is my best ever game. Onimusha allows that, and so does Samurai Warriors 2.

But World of Warcraft as well as Counterstrike kinda become TOO popular and TOO fast. In one day everyone knew the game and were experts. I didnt felt calm enough to enjoy the game on those grounds! Too much competition from start! So kinda I let them go.

Ok - I'll bite. Having started playing games on the old Sinclair ZX81 when I was 11 I've seen most consoles and computer styles, and have to say I play for escapism. I also don't play for the voilence aspect - I'm not big on games involving oodles of blood and genuinely don't want to be 'scared' - for that same reason I don't like watching horror/excessively gory movies.

For escapism - World of Warcraft - been playing on and off for three years but really don't have the time to do it justice. Reasons I like it? The genuine vastness of the world you're in - total escapism. The quality of the art, within the game and at its conceptual stage, there are some exceptionally talented artists at Blizzard. The stories in the game - the depth is fantastic. The variation in types of play you get - I quite like the solo playing within the game but with the knowledge that there are other gamers you can tag up with if the mood takes you. It just keeps you coming back and I'm in total admiration for the complexity of the game.

I also like the computer version of the Settlers of Catan - mainly because I love the board game and it gives me a quick 20 minute fix if I have something rendering ;)

But my main outlet is still Counterstrike: Condition Zero. Not because of the war theme but because of the team play aspect and the testing of your own skill within the game. I play regularly with a UK-based clan who have people from all over Europe - I've known some of them for around 5 years and we've met a few times in person. For me the game is fantastic mainly down to the people you meet - both sexes, all ages, all backgrounds, and the guys I play with have a no-swearing policy on their server, just decent clean fun with plenty of banter.

I'm not one for non-multiplayer games these days, I love the social aspect.

kopperdrake
12-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Ive played games ever since ZX Spectrum was available. And we had purchased it then, even though it was as expensive as a Grand Cave Monster PC may be these days! The main game of the time was Manic Miner! Does anyone at ALL know of the game? Anyone?

Its a white character that jumped around gathering keys. When you gathered all keys, jumping through various creatures, and jumping from key areas to get close enough on the keys and not get hit on spikey things, as well as move fast away from the falling land. It was a top game at the time, like 1990 or before maybe. You failed, and lost all your lives, a huge feet would come from above and slam step on you, and you couldnt move away!

Gore games are alright if the object may interpreted as a real threat in real life. I think making hell to: parasites, bacteria, viruses or imaginary creatures that kinda seem like them, is alright to do so. And playing games helps in that regard. Onimusha would stand above the lying dusty creature and Execute a samurai style sword penetration to the throught or chest. And furthermore if you clicked twice, he'd stabb furthermore deeper the second time! But the creature killed is imaginary dusty evil person, dusty...Bacteria, evil, if you dont kill it intends to execute you, so...

And yeah, escapism. Passing through the now stressful times more easily, until the potentially better days in the future.

I too enjoy playing with another gamer against the computer. That is my best ever game. Onimusha allows that, and so does Samurai Warriors 2.

But World of Warcraft as well as Counterstrike kinda become TOO popular and TOO fast. In one day everyone knew the game and were experts. I didnt felt calm enough to enjoy the game on those grounds! Too much competition from start! So kinda I let them go.

Hey Diedond - sure do remember Manic Miner!! I had a version until a few years ago when I sold almost all of my old computer collection off - now I just have a few Sinclair ZX81 kits unbuilt, a Vectrex and a Spectrum 48k.

I also remember all the Horace games, and Knight Lore, which was fantastic. On the ZX81 we only had blocky black and white graphics with no sound, but I had a couple of games from an amazing developer, Software Farm, which had high res graphics with no mod needed! One was a bit like Manic Miner (called Miner Forty Niner) which made me feel a bit cooler than I used to when all my mates had bought ZX Spectrums or Commodore Vic 20s/64s or Dragon 32s.

Ah- the good simple old days :D

Matt
12-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Well, personally, I don't mind violence in video games, I don't get "off" on it, but taking someone out with a sniper rifle from 1000's of yards away is a hoot!

Each to their own!

But then I love Dragon's Lair too!

DiedonD
12-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Oh you doo!! Thats awsome mate. Im no longer alone LOL. Now, the MUCH Needed closure. Can you PLEASE tell me, what happens in the end?!?!?!?!

I was too young to finish the game, I only made it till level 10. As far as I remember it goes all the way to level 20, right? Did you made it that far? Do you know someone who did? I know theres a, what can now be called as a. primitive image of the guys home or so, but what does it saY??

Horace, horace, horace, horace, .... Isnt that the Frog that jumped above the passing by vehicles?

Man Ive played alot back then. And all my friends were amazed at the newly thing called Video Games at home. I had Comodore 64 too. It got burned afterwards, and the Technician always said that he will fix it the 'Next Year'.

@Matt
I agree Matt. Those games I dont like. Is it any particular one you are refering to. Ive played Commandos Strikeforce, and theres a Sniper Elitte there, so good, he slowed down time for a while. But thats aiming at Nazzis. You know, them superior races. That want to have the lands all for themselves, and use all kinda brutality to achieve their goals. Them thinking that they can do that to other human beeings allienates them from humans. Thus, Im shooting aliens :D

Man... Im so alota bull sometimes... :thumbsdow

Hey Diedond - sure do remember Manic Miner!! I had a version until a few years ago when I sold almost all of my old computer collection off - now I just have a few Sinclair ZX81 kits unbuilt, a Vectrex and a Spectrum 48k.

I also remember all the Horace games, and Knight Lore, which was fantastic. On the ZX81 we only had blocky black and white graphics with no sound, but I had a couple of games from an amazing developer, Software Farm, which had high res graphics with no mod needed! One was a bit like Manic Miner (called Miner Forty Niner) which made me feel a bit cooler than I used to when all my mates had bought ZX Spectrums or Commodore Vic 20s/64s or Dragon 32s.

Ah- the good simple old days :D

kopperdrake
12-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh you doo!! Thats awsome mate. Im no longer alone LOL. Now, the MUCH Needed closure. Can you PLEASE tell me, what happens in the end?!?!?!?!

I was too young to finish the game, I only made it till level 10. As far as I remember it goes all the way to level 20, right? Did you made it that far? Do you know someone who did? I know theres a, what can now be called as a. primitive image of the guys home or so, but what does it saY??

Horace, horace, horace, horace, .... Isnt that the Frog that jumped above the passing by vehicles?

Man... Im so alota bull sometimes... :thumbsdow

Hey - Horace was a little 'blob' character - several game titles like 'Horace Goes Skiing', 'Hungry Horace' and so on. Horace Goes Skiing had him running across the road to get his skis, a bit like the Frogger game :D

I never knew anyone who completed Manic Miner, but I dug this up from a website:

"COMPLETING THE GAME
When you jump into the exit of The Final Barrier (and you haven't
used the 6031769 cheat) the door changes from an omega sign to
a fish and dagger, one above the other, the answer being
Swordfish. You were supposed to quote this in the competition
(i.e. the first person to quote what happened at the end
correctly must have won, though I don't remember ever seeing who
did it, if anyone). Then the game then starts again from the
beginning - in the true tradition of Spectrum Games."

DiedonD
12-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Hey - Horace was a little 'blob' character - several game titles like 'Horace Goes Skiing', 'Hungry Horace' and so on. Horace Goes Skiing had him running across the road to get his skis, a bit like the Frogger game :D

I never knew anyone who completed Manic Miner, but I dug this up from a website:

"COMPLETING THE GAME
When you jump into the exit of The Final Barrier (and you haven't
used the 6031769 cheat) the door changes from an omega sign to
a fish and dagger, one above the other, the answer being
Swordfish. You were supposed to quote this in the competition
(i.e. the first person to quote what happened at the end
correctly must have won, though I don't remember ever seeing who
did it, if anyone). Then the game then starts again from the
beginning - in the true tradition of Spectrum Games."

Yeah, that mustve been like that. True tradition of Spectrum games. There we go again.

Blah. Im glad I didnt went through all that trouble just to see it restart from level one again then! I was expecting some Congrats the least! The levels as I remember did get harder and harder!

Anyway, thanks. Do you know of Jet Pack Willy? Its kinda the same like Manic Miner but you would go to endless stages, it was more wide, and collect certain colored things. It had ropes you could jump into aswell! That too I didnt get till the end.

And theres Jet Set Willy or something. That you had to jump to the next whole in the above line that represented land, all the way to the ten'th line upp ahead! That one Ive seen it finished, though I dont remember what happened. Probably Spectrum tradition again :thumbsdow

I know Hungry Horace and so, but didnt played it as much, so its only vaguely.

The pesty thing about Spectrum is the Loading phase for those that dont know of. Especially if you had an old Cassete player like I did. With the slightest shake of the desk where the Cassete player was standing and it would say "R TAPE LOADING..." and we would read it over and over again. The loading phase ma have taken half an hour or so for the good games, its in the Game Cassetes where the game was recorded, and you were suppose to stay still for half an hour, slowing up the breathing process as well, it was an extra price in order to play the game LOL.

IMI
12-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Call of Duty 5 World at War turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me at least.
I haven't been able to play online for more than 30 seconds before getting kicked by Punkbuster though, but it turns out I can't play CoD 4 online anymore either. No real idea why, but I think I have a problem in my firewall or router settings. or maybe some kind of punkbuster conflict. I never know what I have with PB, because it seems every damn game installs its own version of it, but I don't think it's PB this time.
But the single player game in CoD5 is very cool, IMO. Quite difficult in alot of places too.

JeffrySG
12-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Now, the MUCH Needed closure. Can you PLEASE tell me, what happens in the end?!?!?!?!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dragons+lair&ie=utf-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=2#

COBRASoft
12-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I like the Heroes of Might and Magic series and some kicking *** in Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 with my collegues at work :)

The game I played the most were: IK3 (C64, Amiga), Bubble Bobble (C64, Amiga) and Rainbow Islands (C64, Amiga). I know, very old games, but those kind of games are not made anymore these days. They were simple, a lot of fun and very addictive...

DiedonD
12-26-2008, 12:51 AM
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dragons+lair&ie=utf-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=2#

Hey thats Matts avatar! And I thought you onion skinned your avatar Matt?

Korvar
12-26-2008, 05:58 AM

Wow. That's... interesting animation on the woman in the globe!

Matt
12-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Wow. That's... interesting animation on the woman in the globe!

The animators used Playboy magazines as reference! True story! :)

DiedonD
12-26-2008, 06:48 AM
NOthing happened at Manic Miner's ending, just as you said KoperDrake (Thanks for the link Jeff). And the last level is easier than the previous one by me.

But heres Jumping Jack. What about that one? Does anyone knows its ending?

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dragons+lair&ie=utf-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=2#q=jumping%20jack%20spectrum&emb=0

And Im sure there was a Jet Pack Willy! Its the same fashion as Manic Miner, but more vast!

Matt
12-29-2008, 02:32 AM
Hmmmmmm, BioShock for 3.49! Never bought that game (played the demo and liked it, but had just bought a few others at the same time)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7670/

Worth it?

DiedonD
12-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Hmmmmmm, BioShock for 3.49! Never bought that game (played the demo and liked it, but had just bought a few others at the same time)

Worth it?

Strange. Says, Site error! The item cannot be found in our region it says! Didnt the guy ever heard of alternative ways of purchase?

If I like it, I'll find away to get it over here, and its none of theirs to know how it will be. They should only care about sales! Why bother not showing the image even! Wrong marketing decision right there!

Anyway, got any alterinative links, that would at least give me a good look at it!

Medi8or
12-30-2008, 07:01 AM

Worth it?Thanks! I just registered and bought Bioshock and Portal. Never got around to buying them before.. :)

RedBull
01-05-2009, 12:55 AM

Worth it?

ROFL, Games to me have been dying since the C64, and when 3D Polygons killed sprites, they also killed platformers, shootem-ups, scrollers, and a dozen other styles and genres of games, until all we get are yet another clone of yet another average FPS.

Thankfully, Bioshock (which was made just down the road from myself)
is a standout among many of those average FPS. Best gaming experience of the last few years without a doubt. The Demo doesn't give justice. The sounds, ambiance, story and graphics with great lighting are brought together in what truly is a masterpiece. If you have a large screen and or 5.1+ sound, I'd gladly pay $300 for that gaming experience.

Now i don't want to oversell it, but read the Metacritic blurbs because it's one of the few times i agree with the critics (especially the top 20 ones) and their praise. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock

My best games in the last 3 years, are Bioshock and COH, just about everything else can burn in hell with their mass produced overhyped buggy continuations into the unoriginal. :)

Play it and enjoy, I'm almost jealous that others are yet to immerse themselves. It was the only decent game in the last 2 years IMO. Currently playing GTAIV-PC with mixed feelings.

DiedonD
01-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Thankfully, Bioshock (which was made just down the road from myself)
is a standout among many of those average FPS.

Bioshock looks indeed quite shocking to me! Disguistingly fearsome!

What do you mean it was made by you? You took part in the make of this game?

For my evaluation. Its way too much gore. I dont like it when kids are involved in gore games! And secondly, first point of view camera shootem up games dont work for me!

Only once Ive purchased Quake, and it was as a final resort when I couldnt get my money back and was forced to compensate with another CD game, so I knew that Quake was average and bought it then. No more.

RedBull
01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Bioshock looks indeed quite shocking to me! Disguistingly fearsome!

What do you mean it was made by you? You took part in the make of this game?

No i said the developers work @ irrational games just down the road from my offices. They use 3DSMax, So I'm not welcome their.... ;) They are busy on Bioshock2 currently, most of the voice acting and narration and everything was also recorded close by.

For my evaluation. Its way too much gore. I don't like it when kids are involved in gore games! And secondly, first point of view camera shootem up games dont work for me!

Fair enough it's not one for you then, it is a horror/thriller... And the little polygon girls are quite vicious. (just like real life...) And i do wonder how the movie will manage to do the game justice with only an M rating, I was amazed that down here Bioshock did pass with an MA15+ rating.

Only once Ive purchased Quake, and it was as a final resort when I couldnt get my money back and was forced to compensate with another CD game, so I knew that Quake was average and bought it then. No more.

Heheh, you really cannot compare such a simplistic 3D shooter like Quake however to a masterpiece like Bioshock, the immersion level in Bioshock is unrivaled for myself, i never wanted to rush through this game, just explore, read, listen and absorb everything rapture could provide.

No game as captured so much in one go for me before, and i have never looked at a game as been a successor to film before, but it managed to straddle so many elements perfectly it should be in a museum as art!

"Never has the medium been used as a storytelling device in such a beautiful and engaging way, and never have we been drawn so deeply into a gameworld. Long live Rapture."

"A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing."

"The first-person shooter is, simply, one of the best games ever made"

"Bioshock is one of the best 15-20 hours of gaming nirvana you'll spend this year or any other."

This quote may be better suited to you however: "Unless you faint at the sight of blood or you absolutely despise FPS games, you should consider this game a must buy. "

It does make me sad though to think you missed out on a truly remarkable gaming experience. I feel like no FPS will come close until hopefully Bioshock2.

DiedonD
01-07-2009, 12:35 AM
This quote may be better suited to you however: "Unless you faint at the sight of blood or you absolutely despise FPS games, you should consider this game a must buy. "

Faint! My friend, I havent fainted when Ive seen real human blood in real life! How can red painted particles do that inside a box.

But I dont likem in my games. Its unresting. Come to think of it, after this post, I dont recall having any games that have too much blood on them, except Jaws and Im thinking of uninstalling it too.

I like games where my skills dominate the computers' , and if its a 2player joint venture game against a computer then all the better. Not too much of gore, especially not human visible blood.

I too dont like games that have been made after a movie. The issue between weather the game is made to suit the movie, or weather the movie is directed with a preplan that a game from them afterwards will be made, has become vague, to the cost of a true storytelling movies or games.

I just saw Journey To The Center of The World, and there was a scene there with roller coaster like industrial thingies to carry weight on them. It was unneccessary by me, and I just pictured a game made where you should pass from one such carrier to another and such.

But yeah, FPS (First Person Shootemup, right) games, they aint my kinda game.

So Ill pass on this one. Ill dump it on the World of Warcraft and Counterstrike list.

But others might like it?

Nangleator
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
... I just pictured a game made where you should pass from one such carrier to another and such.
It's been done. Frogger, anyone?

DiedonD
01-08-2009, 07:34 AM
It's been done. Frogger, anyone?

Froger is done in 3D? ;) . Ah the good old game in 2D was quite something at the time :thumbsup:

IMI
02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
I can't remember if it's been mentioned in this old thread or not, but I found an interesting one last night: Indigo Prophecy (http://www.atari.com/indigo/).
I was just searching through Steam and it struck me as kind of cool, and was only $9.99, so I bought it. Very, *very* different kind of game, and so far very very cool. Definitely not a run'n'gun shooter, much different than anything else I've played.
Kinda dated looking in the graphics department, but the heavy duty video cards weren't really out at that time, but it looks good enough. The story though, is what makes it, and the way you deal with your characters. You don't play just one character, but several. For anyone looking for something different from the usual, I'd recommend checking it out.
Any one else here played it? If so, no spoilers, please!

Nangleator
02-17-2009, 06:44 AM
I've been grooving on a couple little games from Steam, and I imagine I might try more. It's hard to argue with myself when a game costs only $10.

Peggle is an addictive little game that feels like pinball, Breakout and pool at the same time. There's another game I forget the name of. Interstellar Mayhem or something. It's an extremely fast-paced Explore, Expand, Exterminate type of game.

IMI
02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Peggle? I never tried it although I have it. I think it was part of The Orange Box Half-Life 2 collection.
Portal was there too, and that's extremely cool.

Nangleator
02-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Portal is a phenomenon. Once I got through that, I started over at the beginning, then played through it probably five times. I've got the end music saved on my desktop and listen to it occasionally.

If they updated Portal with a packaged map maker, I'd stop bathing, lose my job and then my family.

dnch
02-17-2009, 07:20 AM
there was a lot of great games in the past, but for me now wins:
- Fallout 3
- Portal
looking forward to pc release of Saints Row 2 (edit.. its allready released i see, gotta check this out)

warrenwc
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I've been grooving on a couple little games from Steam, and I imagine I might try more. It's hard to argue with myself when a game costs only $10.

Peggle is an addictive little game that feels like pinball, Breakout and pool at the same time. There's another game I forget the name of. Interstellar Mayhem or something. It's an extremely fast-paced Explore, Expand, Exterminate type of game.

Tried Audiosurf yet?
Excellent rhythm matching game & it will use any MP3 file you have.:thumbsup:

Nangleator
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Sadly, I have no rhythm. Ten years of piano lessons didn't help.

realgray
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
the original Wing Commander on Nintendo

COD 4 and 5, multiplayer of course

DiedonD
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Portal seems like a game that needs to be looked into.

Indigo Prophecy I didnt liked the trailer. It seemed like one of them Syphon Filter series.

I recently bought another samurai sword game. I just get instantly drawned to such type games it seems.

But I thought I was out of the previous series by buying something with a completely different name! The one before was Samurai Warriors 2 as you know, that Ive finished playing BTW, and this latest one now is Dynasty Warriors 6. Even the cover is completely different!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_6

Compared to Samurai Warriors 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Warriors_2

Now I havent tried it still, but look what turned out with the Dynasty Warriors 6 search on Yahoo!

http://koeiwarriors.co.uk/downloads/wallpapers/sw2/SamuraiWarriors2Wallpaper1024x768-6.jpg

It seems that theres noway Ill be getting away from your claws that easily IMI! :D

IMI
06-21-2009, 08:24 PM
*bumpity bump*

Godfather II:

*What GTA IV would have been if they had hired partially blind artists and n00bie animators and tried to make the navigation and character movement even stupider than GTA IV.
*The only game I've seen yet that has real nude boobies.
* Embarassingly dumb and ridiculously easy; a genuine insult to the excellent movie series. (well, the first two anyway)

Bottom line - don't bother.
I might have actually bought Godfather II but hadn't yet. As it turns out I was just at a friend's house who has it so I checked it out. Now there's no chance at all I'm going to buy it. He wanted to sell me his copy to try to recoup his losses. No way I was going for that idea. ;)

Sims 3:
I tell you what, I never would have expected I'd like a Sims game, since it's so completely different from what I normally play. But the same friend of mine as above has Sims 3 too and now I have to get it for myself.
It's just too funny, sooo totally kewl. :D
I don't even know how you'd classify Sims games. RTS maybe?
Anyhow I had the first Sims game way back when but got bored with it really quickly and haven't tried any others since. They've come a long way since then and Sims 3 is really *very* cool.

It's not really a "game" though, IMO, more like mindless entertainment. Mindless entertainment which can be very funny at times, and highly addictive. ;)

jameswillmott
06-21-2009, 08:38 PM
The Fantastic Contraption, best timewaster ever. :)

http://fantasticcontraption.com/

DiedonD
06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
I think Im gonna get Sims 3. About time, it was lying around there, awaiting something like this in order for me to get it.

Now theres been alotta say about PROTOTYPE, but though we have started playing it, lets agree that, whomever completes it all, side missions included, should be granted a say about the game!

Not some inbetween game reviews ok? Those are easy. Finish the game and then come here for a say. Which kinda means that its a race who gest to finish the game first! ;)

lwaddict
06-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Couldn't care less about storylines, well maybe a little...

I've got a 100 mile commute and when I play, it's brief, so I want instant gratification without a lot of hub bub...

Recently picked up a pile of XBox360 games from the used bin and here's the favorites so far...

"Transformers"...
Instantaneous mayhem and arcade action. Just fun.

"FLATOUT - Ultimate Carnarge"...
Again, mayhem on the roads this time. Awesome.

"PURE"...
Just beautiful gaming, excellent programming, graphics are outstanding...
This...is my scar story.

"SKATE"...
Nice little time killer this game is.

Didn't care for "Spiderman...blah blah Shadows". Way too difficult to make Spidey do anything specific. He's just bouncing all over the place. "Spiderman 3" was much better.

doimus
06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Can you become the deadliest serial Sim killer in the neighborhood, yet? I'll buy Sims when I can do that. In the meantime I'll stick to GTA. :D

Sims are so "not game" to me. Lack of violence upsets me tremendously.
I just kind of imagine where Sims wind off all the anger they keep inside.
God knows what they hide in their sim-basements.

DiedonD
06-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Can you become the deadliest serial Sim killer in the neighborhood, yet? I'll buy Sims when I can do that. In the meantime I'll stick to GTA. :D

Sims are so "not game" to me. Lack of violence upsets me tremendously.
I just kind of imagine where Sims wind off all the anger they keep inside.
God knows what they hide in their sim-basements.

I dont know anything about the Sim game. But I think that there outa be some sort of controll on your characters behavior. Apparently the game is based somewaht in US, and I was curious weather we could have the character behave in strict Balkan style behavior? A Balkaneese in US! And what reaction from US people would the game generate or, something like that!

If something like that is possible, it oughta be interesting indeed :D

IMI
06-23-2009, 03:15 AM
I dont know anything about the Sim game. But I think that there outa be some sort of controll on your characters behavior. Apparently the game is based somewaht in US, and I was curious weather we could have the character behave in strict Balkan style behavior? A Balkaneese in US! And what reaction from US people would the game generate or, something like that!

If something like that is possible, it oughta be interesting indeed :D

I wouldn't say the Sims 3 are necessarily American, although everything about it has a very suburban American feel to it.
But you can more or less control your character's behavior in an overall sense, by selecting from a long list of character traits. You can make them overall sloppy, grumpy, flirty, "inappropriate", mean, insane, excitable, rude, brave, childish, romantic, and a whole lot of other traits.
And with each character trait comes unique interaction options, along with the standard options, and Sims will interact with each other using their own AI in a way described by their character traits, when not being directly manipulated by the player. And they don't forget, either. If one Sim hates another Sim, he/she will always act that way, just like they act a certain way around Sims they like.
So yeah, I suppose you could make them "behave... Balkan", whatever that means...

DiedonD
06-23-2009, 04:38 AM
So yeah, I suppose you could make them "behave... Balkan", whatever that means...

Well I dont know of other countries in the Balkans, and how would their redneck version be like. All countries have em rednecks.

But Id like to see weather I could make an Albanian Redneck of a character in Sims, the more closer to those types of traits the better, and just set it loose afterwards and just watch how it would all interact there :thumbsup:

I dont know about you... But that gets me as beeing very amusing to me :D

Hope he doesnt gets arrested while the traits clash with one another, and all an all while they were based with good intentions to start with, in a semi somewhat Borat fashion LOL.

Especially US Albanian Redneck clash! How would that turn out? Cowboy vs Yaran of Pie :D

DiedonD
06-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Well here for example. A usual question here, redneck or not, upon eye notice would be:

Hello... are you tired or not?

How would the US redneck respond to that?

A) Well, thats none of your God damn bussiness!!

B) Let me see now. Hmmmm... yeah I kinda feel somewhat tired at this hour usually

C) Well you know, yeah a bit. Weve come to say today that we are 'never tired', but you know, the truth is, you dont get the job done without beeing tired in the end of the day.

That C would be the usuall response back here. Any chance it gets to be said from over there or anywhere else for that matter? :)

IMI
06-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Just buy the game, Diedon, I think you'll really like it. ;)
I didn't mention that you're not only limited to one character trait, but rather you start out with 4 or 5 of your own choosing, assuming you start a new game, with your own Sims. You can start with a pre-fab family if you want, but you're just stuck with whomever you get and whatever their traits are.
So basically you can combine those 4 or 5 traits to try to create a custom Sim to act more or less in any way.
However, there are no Serial Killer or Insane Dictator options, unfortunately, and I have yet to find an AK-47 for sale anywhere in the game. ;)

But as you go through the game, you get opportunities to achieve and thereby accumulate points to be spent on rewards, some of which allow you to alter your Sim character's traits.

And through a brief tour through various websites I found by googling, apparently the Sims are very very mod-able. Sims 2, at least, although I'm sure the Sims 3 will be huge too. There seem to be quite a few Sims modding sites and tools, and there doesn't appear to be much that can't be done. I'm looking forward to digging into that stuff.

DiedonD
06-23-2009, 05:49 AM
I will.

But Im more of a finish this game before you start at the next one type of a guy!

So PROTOTYPE must be done first!

Are you playing that game already? I have it but couldnt find the time still!

Darn it!

Yesterday I was all day long with my cousin awaiting delivery at the clinic! He had himself a son in the end. Names is Rin! Such a cute looking baby :) . And very tired one too! It was a somewhat heavy delivery! Waited 36 hours for it, and I was tired! Imagine his wife! No food nor sleep during those entire hours!

And do you use painkillers for delivery? Is it standardized yet? This one surely couldve made a huge use of them if the option started beeing available already! Someone oughta seek through this huge demand for delivery painkillers here! And Kosova has some great natural population increase too!

IMI
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
No, I haven't gotten PROTOTYPE yet. I have way too much going on right now and not enough time for games, but I'll buy it soon enough. I made an exception for The Sims 3, because my wife really wanted to get it too. She's been playing it more than I have, actually.

RollerJesus
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Just picked up Blueberry Garden off of Steam. Lots of fun, really nice music and haven't gotten through it yet. (~ 6 hours of play so far)

http://eriksvedang.wordpress.com/blueberrygarden/

Absolutely worth the $5.