PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Why is Layout doing this?

gumbytrain
11-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a very complex scene in layout. It has about 50 different lwo files in it. (Complex for me, anyway!)

When opening the scene today I get the error that the layer is invisible.

When I look in the scene editor there are now several objects that have no file associated with them.

For example: FillerPipe

After looking around for a bit and freaking out I found a new object called "FillerPipe:Filler"

Originally there was only one layer in that lwo file. I have added a second layer, but set its export to off in the layers window. The first layer was always called "Filler".

Am I doing something wrong? Should I delete objects like "FillerPipe" if I see new ones with layer name appended to the end?

BTW, if I select "FillerPipe" nothing gets selected in the scene.

I made changes to about 10 objects in this scene last night and now I'm wondering what's going on. All 10 of these objects seem to be like the above description.

The only thing is I selected the object in layout and then sent it to Modeler.

Is that a "no no"? Should I choose file and then Load in modeler to work on models from the scene?

Thanks for any light you can shed my way!

Hopper
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I had gotten this message once .. but it was a loooong time ago. I had exporterd a layer to Layout, saved the scene then closed Layout. Later I had gone back into Modeler and made the layer invisible to Layout. Then the next time I opened the scene in Layout, I got that error. I don't think I've ever done it twice though. I learned my lesson.

gumbytrain
11-17-2008, 08:15 PM
But I didn't make the original layer invisible to layout. It's still visible.

I did make the NEW layer invisible. But that layer was never in layout in the first place.

Does this mean I must not have the scene in layout open if I need to modify objects? I thought you could go back and forth between the two apps.

(Obviously, I'm still very new to Lightwave.)

Hopper
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Does this mean I must not have the scene in layout open if I need to modify objects? I thought you could go back and forth between the two apps.
Oh no, don't get me wrong. You are certainly able to go back and forth while editing. That's the primary reason for the Hub. It usually works pretty well. You should be able to turn layers on and off in Modeler then sync with Layout (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Surrealist.
11-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Yes you can work back and forth of course but there are some things to remember about the workflow because when working with a lot of objects it can get complex real fast.

The main thing to remember is when you save a scene you save a reference to the locations of objects by name and or layer number or name.

If you send an object to layout with 3 layers and then afterwords turn off the visibility to a layer it will remain in Layout unless you delete it in modeler with layout open and save the scene again after (So it won't try and look for it again).

If you are working back and forth and you save a scene with a reference to an object that is in the scene, and then after that you delete it from the model, Layout will leave an "imprint" of the object in the way of a blank reference that has the original file location all written out. If you save the scene in that state it will load up that reference (or try I believe) and that may be where you get the error message. But usually that message is just because in all the confusion you simply did not save the scene with the correct references to the objects in their current state layer wise or made changes to the objects separately.

So now if you make changes to an object with layout closed or don't save the scene the scene will only load - or try to load- the layers it was saved with.

But the thing to remember when it all is so complex is just that if something goes wrong you can use "load from layer" or replace object with a layer. That will get you back on track with anything that has gone wrong. Resave your scene and all will be well.

gumbytrain
11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
So if I have a scene in Layout and want to work on any objects that are in it and maybe add or delete layers in that object should I:

1. Select object in layout.
2. Press F12 to send the object to modeler.
3. Make changes - add new layer, delete new layer, etc.
4. Press "S" to save the object in Modeler.
5. Press "synch to layout"
6. Close object in modeler (File -> Close Object)
7. Save scene in layout.
8. Should I also save all objects using (Save -> Save All Objects) in Layout?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Surrealist.
11-18-2008, 09:23 AM
So if I have a scene in Layout and want to work on any objects that are in it and maybe add or delete layers in that object should I:

1. Select object in layout.
2. Press F12 to send the object to modeler.
3. Make changes - add new layer, delete new layer, etc.
4. Press "S" to save the object in Modeler.
5. Press "synch to layout"
6. Close object in modeler (File -> Close Object)
7. Save scene in layout.
8. Should I also save all objects using (Save -> Save All Objects) in Layout?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

#5 should be redundant. But there may be some things it syncs I am not aware of. I've just never really see it do anything that was not already being done automatically.

Save all objects is always a good idea. Make sure and add a step to get rid of those pesky references to layers that are not there anymore.

Other than that, you got the idea. :)

gumbytrain
11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you all for the help.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this work flow.