PDA

View Full Version : Merging .bdd motions

phorne_tca
11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Hello all,

So I have an object, a building, that's broken into several different layers. The building is supposed to be destroyed, so the different layers are in place in order to have collision objects and hardFx objects (since only parts of the building are collapsing).

I got everything looking just the way I wanted it per layer and saved out the .bdd file per layer. Well, now the problem is that I need to export it as /one/ object while still retaining the motion that's in the .bdd files for all of the layers.

So basically I need to be able to import this as one object into another program with all of the motion data still available.

Any ideas? Is there a way to convert the motion to a morph or something?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

serge
11-18-2008, 07:15 AM
The motion file will be an "MDD", is that okay? And you need the MDD-pointer plugin which is part of Dpont's DP kit (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html).

> Convert your BDD's to MDD's: Add ClothFX to your layers, and set "Fix" to "All" (to be certain the simulation won't affect anything). Run "Scan motion" for each layer, so an MDD equivalent will be created for your BDD-files.

> Collapse your layers into one object, and load it into Layout.

> Apply nodal displacement, and add a MDD-pointer node for each MDD-file. Load the first MDD in node 1, the second in node 2, etc.

> Now, because you collapsed your layers, the point order will be different. Only the MDD-file from the first layer will match the correct points, but the next will not. You need to correct this with the "Point Offset".
See attached image: In my example I've used a ball with 42 points in layer 1, and a box with 8 points in layer 2. The points from the box were numbered 1 to 8, but after collapsing the points got numbered 43 to 50, because the ball has 42 points. So, the Point Offset for the box has to be 42. Hope this makes sense.

> Now you have one object affected by different MDD's. Apply ClothFX to your object and do a new motion scan, so you'll end up with one MDD-file for your object.

phorne_tca
11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Serge, you're bloody brilliant! :D

Many many many kudos to you!! :) It seems like this would've been something that was built into Lightwave, but I guess not.

As always, I guess I can hope for it to be in v10.

Again, MANY MANY thanks!!!

serge
11-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Glad I could help! :)

Fortunately, for most of Lightwave's limitations we have some plugin from our precious third-party developers (in this case Dpont) to help us out.