PDA

View Full Version : VT4.6 does not see VT Board

edmellnik
11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
WEll I built up a new machine...
and have 4.6 on... but it wont see the toaster board.
ANy suggestions/

ed

ted
11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I assume you reset the VT card?

edmellnik
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
YOu mean there is a button to reset?

I did try re seating the card several times.

ed

ted
11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Yes, on the bottom corner, on the back, under the third capacitor....
Sorry, better wording would have been re-seating, as you said. ;)

goodrichm
11-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Sounds like what happened to me the last time I upgraded my PC. You have to be careful when selecting a new computer because some new motherboards don't have +5v on the card connector anymore, only 3.3v.

That's why I haven't upgraded my old Xeon puter yet again. I wish NewTek or more people would share their motherboard make/model info to avoid this problem.

Recommend you give NewTek Tech Supt a call to see if they can help sort it out. NewTek has the best support on the planet...MG

edmellnik
11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Do to my choice of Supermicro motherboards, my old VT2 board would not
come up so I had to send back to Newtek.
They reprogramed something and in 48 hours I had my board back...

Incredible.
Thanks Newtek for your great Tech support.

Ed

ScorpioProd
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Does this issue affect ALL Classic VT cards? As in ALL pre-VT Pro (VT4) cards? Or is it just an older subset of the Classic VT cards?

I mean, this would seem to be a rather big issue for Newtek as people upgrade to newer computers...

ted
11-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Dang you Ed! Yesterday I fired up our main VT and guess what, my BOB wasn't recognized. Something in the air?
Ended up just "reseating" some cables and all was fine. :D

Glad to hear about your success with Tech Support. NewTek has been working hard to make their Tech Support top notch.

goodrichm
11-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Awesome news Ed!

What's the model number of your Supermicro motherboard?

Hate to see someone else go thru the same pain...although NewTek's Tech Supt makes it as painless as humanly possible!

edmellnik
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
This was the Supermicro C2SBC-Q

It would be hard for me to answer if this is an issue for every board.
Tech support seemed to give me the impression that it was only some boards but that more and more if these issues are going to come up for the older boards.

ed

goodrichm
11-21-2008, 01:07 PM
This was the Supermicro C2SBC-Q

It would be hard for me to answer if this is an issue for every board.
Tech support seemed to give me the impression that it was only some boards but that more and more if these issues are going to come up for the older boards.

ed

Thanks for the info!

ScorpioProd
11-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I just talked with Newtek Tech Support about the issue.

I can't speak for VT Pro cards, since I didn't ask about those, but for Classic VT cards, anything made before VT[4], Tech Support says they will NOT work in modern motherboards without the 5V support and they can NOT be modified to work on those boards.

The only option would be the $2k upgrade to a VT Pro card.

ScorpioProd
11-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Good news! What tech support said was IF the new motherboards actually had gotten rid of the 5V support, but it now appears the majority of new motherboards still do have the 5V support, so there shouldn't be a problem for most.

nelsonm
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
On a side note...

Oxidation can be a problem as it was with my VT3 system. Every time i would start up the system the next day after a show - the ide storage raid would not show up. I'd have to re-seat the connectors. I had an oxidation problem with my 1642 Mackie mixer as well.

Lets face it, after a while, oxidation will form on connectors interrupting proper signal and current flow.

I use the DeoxIT cleaner/enhancer solution - a two step process - on my PCI cards and slots as well as sata and ide connectors. I applied it once last year on both the Mackie mixer and VT3 system including the external connectors between the VT card and the bob. I have not had to reseat anything since.

I suppose most quality cleaners will dissolve oxidation off connectors but this product keeps it off. However, it expensive at $14.99 per kit and all you get is .14g per can (cleaner can & protector can) at Radio Shack and it will barely cover all the slots and connectors on a VTx system even if you apply it sparingly.

You can buy larger quantities (thus less expensive) from other vendors but not Radio Shack.

jcweaver
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Sounds like what happened to me the last time I upgraded my PC. You have to be careful when selecting a new computer because some new motherboards don't have +5v on the card connector anymore, only 3.3v.

That's why I haven't upgraded my old Xeon puter yet again. I wish NewTek or more people would share their motherboard make/model info to avoid this problem.

Recommend you give NewTek Tech Supt a call to see if they can help sort it out. NewTek has the best support on the planet...MG

I have a VT2 card running VT4 in an older Win2000 Machine. I ordered a new HP Dual core computer with the right spec. My research on the new HP tells me that the PCI slot is 5V. and it does not register with the system. Sounds just like the problem that you had. Anything else you can share would be appreciated. I work for a school and I have no money left....

ScorpioProd
12-16-2008, 12:04 PM
What exact motherboard are you using?

goodrichm
12-17-2008, 02:36 AM
I have a VT2 card running VT4 in an older Win2000 Machine. I ordered a new HP Dual core computer with the right spec. My research on the new HP tells me that the PCI slot is 5V. and it does not register with the system. Sounds just like the problem that you had. Anything else you can share would be appreciated. I work for a school and I have no money left....

If your MOBO PCI slots have 5V, then it doesn't sound like the same problem.

Try uninstalling and re-installing VT4. If that does work, try putting the VT card in another PCI slot. If there isn't another PCI slot, then try it in a PCI-X slot. I run my VT1 card fine in a PCI-X slot. From what I understand, some MOBOs share the bus between one of the PCI slots and the video graphics card slot. The VT card won't work in that slot.

If none of this works, I recommend calling Tech Support for your new PC and NewTek to get expert help. Sorry I can't be of much more help. God's speed in resolving your problem...MG

edmellnik
12-17-2008, 06:29 PM

I sent the Toaster board back to Newtek and they had to re load the core???
ANyway it came back and works in the new Mother board.
So my board had the 5volts but still needed what sounds like a firmware change.
ed