PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have problems with USB dongle and VIA chipset MB?

Graham Nichols
08-07-2003, 01:43 AM
What a day yesterday! I became a new Lightwave devotee, as my new software arrived today. Yipee!!

Err .. hold on ... my Windows XP Pro powered QDI Kinetix VIA Chipset box crashes when Windows attempts to install, or access, the USB dongle driver. Grr...

Anyone else experienced this USB dongle situation, and found a way to make it play nicely please? I tried to help myself by downloading the latest driver from www.rainbox.com and installed the latest VIA 4in1 driver and USB filter patch for my MB without it making a dent on the problem

So near and yet to far,

rgds, Graham Nichols.

Graham Nichols
08-07-2003, 06:59 AM
I'm pleased to say that Technical Support at Rainbow found a solution to the problem. I enclose the solution below in the hope that it may help others in the future:

1. Download the Sentinel System Driver from http://www.rainbow.com/support/sentinelESC.asp and uninstall program ( boot into normal mode of Windows to download this file.) by going to the file attached (DriverRemove.zip)
a. Unzip this file to temporary folder.
b. Browse to the folder, double click on the Setupx86.exe.
c. Click on "Functions". Click on "Remove Sentinel Driver".
d. Reboot the system.

2. Go to Control Panel-->Add/Remove Program and remove any entries related to "Sentinel System Driver".

3. Please make sure that the following files are no longer present in the system: sentinel.sys, sentinel.vxd, sntnlusb.sys. These files are usually found under Windows\System32\Drivers. If these files are still present in the system, make sure you rename or delete them.

4. Delete the registry entries using the registry editor. Open the registry entries and see if they are completely removed, if present remove the registry specify:
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Services\Sentinel
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Services\Sntnlusb
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlS et\Services\VxD\Sentinel
Make sure you remove either "Sentinel" or "Sntnlusb" key entries.

5. Reboot the system.

6. Download and install the Sentinel System Driver ver5.41.1 from http://www.rainbow.com/support/sentinelESC.asp.

best, Graham