PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch problems

akrantz
11-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey guys,
I am having trouble in Layout 9.3.1 whenever I change the default values of the Display Subpatch Level in the object properties dialog. Changing it to anything above 3 causes a crash. Also, changing the render sub ptach value below it causes an error and I get the message "Lightwave can not create the mesh rendering faces" or just a crash. Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks for the help.
-Aaron

Kuzey
11-16-2008, 02:30 PM
9.3.1 does not work well on intel Mac's. If that's your machine then try the 9.5.1 beta.

Kuzey

akrantz
11-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks,
I figured this was the case and yes I am using an intel mac, I have been trying to hold off on installing the beta because the install is a bit of a pain in the *** and i'm hoping the final release will be out soon.

akrantz
11-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Sigh. I tried to install the beta and the license key they gave me doesn't work. How many times will I be burned by Netwek before I figure it out. One has to wonder.

akrantz
11-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Problem still exists in latest beta, crashes ap. Anyone else have this?

Chilton
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi,

The install for 9.5.1 UB is pretty straightforward. Drag it to your Applications folder and launch it. There's no actual installation process. For that matter, you can run it directly off a disk image, thumb drive, network volume, etc.

If you want to, it includes instructions for how to include your prefs directly in with the app, so it won't even touch the host system.

-Chilton

Chilton
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Problem still exists in latest beta, crashes ap. Anyone else have this?

Send me the crash log and I'll take a look.

[email protected]

Thanks!
-Chilton

akrantz
11-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Chilton thanks, where can I find the log?

Chilton
11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
It appears on the screen when it crashes, if you click the 'report this problem to Apple' button. Then copy the subsequent text (all of it), and email it to me. That often contains everything I need to know to tell what is happening.

Do that, and I can tell you what is happening.

-Chilton

akrantz
11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Chilton,
The problem is its not technically crashing, I just get the spinning ball of frozen nothingness until I force quit. So I am not getting that pop up screen. I am currently waiting to see if it will crash. nothing yet, just frozen

Chilton
11-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi,

While I'd prefer to handle this in the beta forum, I suspect that if you just signed up for the beta, you don't have access to it yet. So let's start with some basics. What are your system specs (CPU, OS X version, etc.)?

-Chilton

akrantz
11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Lightwave seems to fear your wrath more than it does mine Chilton. Looks like the operation is working now, although the render screen is still blank it did at least update the geometry in the layout viewports after about 5 min. Looks like its just taking an extremely long time to do the math. I have an intel mac with 2x3ghz dual core processors and 6gb ram, so this seems unusually slow. Is using nodes to apply displacement maps easier on the program?

akrantz
11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
We can move this to the beta forum if you like I do actually have access, I am currently working in 9.3.1 however because I haven't had time to install my plugins to the beta.

Chilton
11-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Good idea, let's do that.

-Chilton