PDA

View Full Version : Convert .lwo to .dwg

BlueApple
11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I have a feeling that this request is similar to asking if I can take a chocolate cake and convert it to eggs, milk, flour, etc., but is there a way to take a LightWave object that I've modeled and kick out a .dwg?

I have no experience with any cad applications, but would be willing to purchase if necessary. I have a model and would like to have someone fabricate it out of plywood sheets, but don't want to pay the few thousands of dollars that he charges to generate the .dwg file.

Any assistance is appreciated.

JeffrySG
11-14-2008, 10:19 PM
You might want to see if he will accept any other formats. He might be willing to take .dxf files. I'm not sure if LWCAD will export .dwg files or if PolyTrans will? If so maybe someone here can convert them for you?

Whatever you do, just make sure they run a small test for you to double check that the files are outputting the way you want and with the quality you want. I'm assuming that he'll be running them on a CNC machine. One of the guys I've used used to just like high res JPG files... weird but they worked.

Nicolas Jordan
11-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I think .dxf is probably your only shot at it as already mentioned. It's just an older AutoCAD file format from what I understand. AccuTrans can convert .lwo to .dxf http://www.micromouse.ca/

The only way I know of to get a .lwo into a .dwg is to convert the .lwo to .dxf and then load the .dxf into AutoCAD and save it out as a .dwg.

archijam
11-15-2008, 02:33 AM
ANY cad app can open dxf (drawing exchange format) files, which are a 'watered down' interchange format of DWG (which is owned by autodesk and now comes in incompatible 14, 2000, 2004 and 2008 flavours). Therefore, try to get a good DXF out of your LWO, then worry about the DWG conversion, which is a simple load and save.

DXF files tend to only like tri's for 3d surfaces, but are a solid, clean format.

What exactly do they want? Closed polylines? Were they more specific?

If you haven't already given 20 bucks to micromouse for accutrans3D, do it now! Graham is really helpful and will answer questions and queries straight away ...

For a free, (almost) fully functional CAD app to play with, I would recommend ProgeCAD 2006, an older version which they released free. It mimmicks autocad in almost every way, and gives nag messages on a few features which are not included (for example, you can edit and make use of images already linked within a DWG file, but you can't add new ones).
Here's a review and download link (http://www.magnesiummedia.com/pcutilities/details14567.html).

BlueApple
11-15-2008, 08:09 AM
You folks rule. Thanks for all of your help... time to get to work.

Drakonsden
11-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I do know that TurboCAD 15 has added an import and export function for OBJ objects and an improved 3DS import/export function.

I use TurboCAD 12 right now for making mechanical models for animation. It works great and the 3DS export function is flawless.

TurboCAD 15 New Features (http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCAD15/TurboCADPro15PlatinumEdition/NewFeatures/tabid/824/Default.aspx)

robk
11-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Accutrans 3D is the way to go and "Wayne" will be able to help with any questions. I have been using it since 1993. An indespensible tool.

archijam
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Ah yes, Wayne :) .. I get my 'plugin' authors crossed from time to time ... :P

gerry_g
11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
there are old versions of Amapi nocking around on the net if you search hard enough (free ones, Doze&Mac) one of the only progs I've ever used that will import an .obj and export a .dwg, and I think v6 Amapi still imported native .lwo's , all this being said exporting something in a given format isn't always the same getting something usable at the end of the day

Sekhar
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Deep Exploration will convert LWO to DWG. I have it - PM me if you want me to convert some for you.