PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro 2.66 vs Mac Pro One 2.8GHZ Quad-Core vs Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core

virtualcomposer
11-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Just wondering if there's an obvious speed jump in comparison to what I have now. My main functions on my computer is rendering and music composition which really doesn't drain my computer much. I've fallen in love with photo real motion blur and radiosity so if there is a major jump in performance, then I will look into the newer Mac Pros. Also, I've heard rumors that any Mac Pro made before 2008 leaks a toxic chemical Benzene into the air. Now sure if that was debunked but that is a concern of mine as well. Let me know what you think. By the way, if the speed jump from mine to the single 2.88 Quad is 12% or so, it wouldn't be worth buying. I'm talking about a major speed bump!!:D

StereoMike
11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Something to think about:
http://www.efi-x.com/index.php?language=english

It needs certain hardware (e.g. gigabyte board) but in the end it's only half as expensive as a mac (pc + efi-x).

mike

kfinla
11-14-2008, 12:57 AM
I also have read rumors of new mac pros in January-march 09 with the new intel processor that just came out this week..

Mac Pro Suitable Nehalem (Core i7) Processors Due in 1st Quarter 2009

Thursday November 13, 2008 01:59 PM EST; Category: Mac Pro
Written by arn

Mac Rumors
Digitimes reports that Intel is planning on launching the Xeon 5500 and Xeon 3500 series of server CPUs in the first quarter of 2009. These new processors are based on the Nehalem architecture which has been officially branded as Core i7.

According to Digitimes, Intel will launch ten CPUs for the Xeon 5500 series with the high end topping out as a quad-core W5580 running at 3.2GHz. Processor speeds of the remaining 9 models range from 2GHz to 2.93Ghz.

Apple has traditionally used the Xeon server-class processors for their Mac Pro line. The current Mac Pro uses the Xeon ("Harpertown") 5400 series processors and is due for an update. Despite comparable clock speeds, the Nehalem-based processors have been shown to offer clock-for-clock performance improvements up to 29%.

Something to think about.. these processors excel at rendering and video encoding.

tribbles
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I, for one, will be waiting for the next range to come out. I've been a little behind the times...

JonW
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Mac & high end PC use the same 5400 CPUs, If you want to get a rough idea with LW performance on your current mac & compare with other 5300 & 5400 CPUs (5400 about 6% than 5300).

http://3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3

Then think about upgrading. If you can survive on your current computer wait for the 5500 CPUs, they are a lot faster.

Meshbuilder
11-15-2008, 06:16 AM
A dual quad xeon is almost 100% faster than single quad when rendering with perspective Camera. The heavier the scene is the more you gain from the extra cores.