PDA

View Full Version : UV Unwrapping?

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
What are LW mac users using for UV unwrapping here?

I have to resort to breaking apart my meshes in LW and importing into Blender to simply unwrap my models. I have Silo but I find that it is really buggy and there is not a lot of forum support or documentation either.

So what are you using?

Are you as frustrated that you can't simply unwrap a mesh in LW too?

It would be nice if the PLG UV tools were available on the UB Mac or if NT converted them for us.

Just frustrated here....

BeeVee
11-13-2008, 01:13 PM
You could always run the CFM version as well as the UB version for your UV mapping.

B

Greenlaw
11-13-2008, 01:17 PM
I've been using Headus UVLayout for almost all of my UV tasks for a few years now, and the developer recently released a Mac OSX version. I haven't used the OSX version, but I can say the Win version works great for me.

http://www.uvlayout.com/

I've talked about this app before in this forum so I won't go into great detail. In brief, UVLayout lets you quickly cut up and pelt your object in a visually interactive way, resulting in the least amount of distortion possible. It uses realtime dynamics to 'melt' your object which is fascinating to watch in action.

Originally, UVLayout was mostly useful for difficult organic objects like characters and clothing, but over the years it's evolved into a pretty complete package.

The interface is spare (mostly 'muscle-memory' of command keys) and takes a day or so to become proficient with it. Once you get the hang of it, it's very fast to use. Also, there is a ton of video tutorials on the website.

One feature that was added a while back was plug-in access for a host program, which Maya, XSI, and 3DSMax users have enabled for their respective 3D app. The programmer at Headus says it's possible for other 3D apps to support this feature and he is available to answer questions and assist. I keep hoping somebody smarter than me will do the same for LightWave.

If not that, then a direct .lwo importer and exporter would be almost as convenient. (Which is one of the many reasons I prefer 3D Coat over its competition.)

DRG

Greenlaw
11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Speaking of 3D Coat, it has some capable UV tools too. From what I've seen, it's not as powerful as UVLayout, but it can split seams and pelt UVs somewhat interactively. I haven't actually used this feature in 3D Coat, but it's good to know it's there.

And yes, there's a Mac OSX version now.

http://3d-coat.com/download.html

DRG

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys!

BV: I'd rather not have to keep two versions just for unwrapping but I will re-look at that possibility. If I need to use another app besides LW it might as well be LW, right? ;)

DR: Thanks for the info on headus. I'm going to take a look at it now. I see that they have some videos too. I know 200/300$ isn't a huge amount but it might be a bit more than I want to spend at this time. I'm going to look at the software though.

:)

rezman
11-13-2008, 02:33 PM
You could try Blender. Steve Warner did a great set of tutorials on how to do it as well:
http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 03:24 PM
You could try Blender. Steve Warner did a great set of tutorials on how to do it as well:
http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

That's how I'm doing it now. I was looking for a more 'elegant' solution.

rezman
11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Sheesh! Sorry about that, maybe I should actually read your whole post.

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Sheesh! Sorry about that, maybe I should actually read your whole post.

lol, no problem! Blender actually does a good job, I just hate having to tear apart my mesh and then export, then import, then unwrap, then export, then import, etc...

To be honest I should learn more of the UV tools in Blender but I really wish LW had better UV unwrapping tools. I know they'll be there for v10 though.

JeffrySG
11-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey does anyone know of a plugin that will let you break apart an edge for you in one step? To uv in blender you need to break apart the entire mesh in LW to essentially mark the seams you want to uv cut. I usually will cut and then paste parts of the model but if you want other parts to remain connected you have to go back in and then merge only those specific points on the model.

It would be great if we could at least select the edges we want to uv cut and select an 'edge break' or something like that.

Of course this needs to work in Mac UB. I think there is a plugin for CFM on this, but I can't find one for MacUB. doh!

hrgiger
11-16-2008, 04:43 AM
I don't use a mac but I can concur on UVLayout. It's a great little program that I'm glad I bought.

Hopper
11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
It would be great if we could at least select the edges we want to uv cut and select an 'edge break' or something like that.

Close enough... it's called 'Edge Opener' Its old but still works. Enjoy... :)

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/version56.htm#EdgeOpener

And get JW_OpenEdges as an additional utility. It will auto-select all open edges.

Hopper
11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Note: JW_OpenEdges is part of the EdgePack (if you don't already have it) from James Willmott.

The links no longer work on flay.com, so here's the file. There's also another one of William's cool tutorials on some of it's features.

You can watch or download it here: (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/Edgepack.mov)

Enjoy. (I included a MAC port).

JeffrySG
11-16-2008, 01:54 PM
^thanks Hopper! That is pretty much what I was looking for except these don't work on the Intel Macs version of LW. I might try to run the non-intel version on my machine as well, but if I'm going to do that I'll be able to just use the PLG UV tools.

I'm going to look into getting the non-intel (CFM) LW running this week to get access to some UV tools.