PDA

View Full Version : Display subpatch level? Ocean details better???

virtualcomposer
11-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Just wondering, I really have never messed with the "Display subpatch level" in the properties panel and I want a really detailed ocean. One that doesn't look computer generated. I would rather spend an extra week in render then have a fake looking ocean. I was wondering if the DSL set to 12 is going to give me a much more detailed ocean then the default 3?

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
The display level does not effect the rendered image at all. It just effects what you see in the viewports. So you can adjust it based on how fast your computer and video card are to adjust your viewport performance - and what you see as well.

Your render level is what effects the resolution of the mesh at render time. And yes, that can greatly effect the final rendered image. Try a few different settings to see how they look: 1, 3, 10, 40, etc.

flakester
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Try a few different settings to see how they look: 1, 3, 10, 40, etc.

00ooof!! Render sub-patch level of 40! That might cause a bit of a pause before drawing anything! :p

To my knowledge, fprime reads the 'display' sub-patch level only for it's geometry calculations when rendering, not the 'render' sub-patch level. Though I could very well be wrong there.

flakester.

Andrew March
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
set display between 3-6 depending on the density of the subpatched ocean and render level between 6-12 again depending on the density of the original.

The more dense the object the lower the display/render levels.

'The more dense the object' sounds like some forum admins I know :)

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
'The more dense the object' sounds like some forum admins I know :)

lol!

Yes, each model will definitely have its own sweet spot for a render setting...

BeeVee
11-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Also think about using APS so that you don't subdivide more than you need to. You can base it on distance to camera so that polygons far away from the camera are not subdivided as much as those close to the camera.

B

virtualcomposer
11-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Also think about using APS so that you don't subdivide more than you need to. You can base it on distance to camera so that polygons far away from the camera are not subdivided as much as those close to the camera.

B

Hey that's good advice. Thanks. I never thought about the far away objects with less polygons. :)

toby
11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Try to keep Display and Render subD levels the same. When you don't, you'll see the spinning beachball (or timer) as LW re-calculates the entire subd mesh whenever you hit F9, and then again when it's done rendering. It's harmless, it just adds a lot of time to renders.

And APS is probably the best thing that ever happened to ocean renders! ( I don't know if the above tip applies to APS )