PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #14

Iain
11-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #14
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Seems like there's been a hiccup in communication, so allow me to kick this one off.

Subject -Something's Not Quite Right
Suggested by Colkai.

Bit of a lateral thinking exercise here. An everyday object the viewer looks at twice because something is odd or unusual about it.
Get yer thinking caps on!

Time Limit - 60 minutes

art
11-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Very cool. Too bad I'm in process of moving. No time to participate. My computer is not even set up. That's not quite right...

JeffrySG
11-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Very cool. Too bad I'm in process of moving. No time to participate. My computer is not even set up. That's not quite right...

^good luck with the move, art!

This is an interesting topic! I'll be curious to see what people come up with! :)

Korvar
11-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I completely forgot to time myself, but I didn't start until part way through Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, and stopped when it did, so call it 30-40 minutes? Discovered uses of "Make Pole".

Texturing took a little longer; if I was doing it again, I think I'd model a very thin layer for the "polish".

212 polys.

Korvar
11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Okay, re-rendered the "textured" image (forgot to raise the sub-division level and forgot to use anti-aliasing), and fell foul of the 5 minute edit window :)

Incidentally, if anyone has any tips on texturing, please let me know...

Mark The Great
11-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm around 30 minutes in. I'm hoping to stencil a design or something onto the side with my remaining time.

And this is blatantly stolen from the cover of "The Design of Everyday Things."

But I liked the idea so much that I couldn't resist using it.

I'd be happy to share the model, and intend to surface and render it this weekend.

nlightuk
11-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Another absolutely pointless common item - the inverted cup and saucer... :)

35 modelling, probably another 20 fiddling with the render setup.

Mitja
11-14-2008, 02:05 AM
"Something's Not Quite Right" - good one!

Iain
11-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Quicky from me. 15 minutes modelling. (The rod is the model-everything else from my library.)

Weepul
11-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Great subject! I think I might have some further fun with it.

Here's one...

Model, about 40 minutes ('cause I was being particular :p) and texturing a good while longer. This one's turned odd more due to the texturing than the modeling, so I dunno how much it counts... :D

IMI
11-14-2008, 05:57 AM
LOL!

I love this category - really great entries so far. :)

IMI
11-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Here's my first... a computer monitor - my own design...

20 minutes modeling, about the same surfacing and rendering.

can you spot what's "wrong"? ;)

Nangleator
11-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Several excellent laughs here!

I'll join in, if I can think of anything that doesn't rip off Escher.

colkai
11-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Quicky from me. 15 minutes modelling. (The rod is the model-everything else from my library.)

Dang Iain, your stuff is always so beautifully rendered. Colour me jealous. :) ;)

flakester
11-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Here's my first... a computer monitor - my own design...

20 minutes modeling, about the same surfacing and rendering.

can you spot what's "wrong"? ;)

Eeeeeewwwwww! I feel soiled.

Nice entry. Clean lines. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Iain
11-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks Col-I started it running in fprime and it was taking forever. Switched to LW native and it just zipped through it!

IMI, I'm on my way over with the medication. Hang on!

Mark The Great
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Here's a render. Not quite done with the model, but at least now I have a template to render it on.

Maybe an hour of setup and tweaking. My modeling time is around 40 minutes. I made a few changes to the spout, and also made the model an enclosed volume (the spout would actually work!). It makes me wish LW had a decent fluid simulator, so that I could test the flow from the spout.

Oh, and I'm having problems with 9.5's radiosity. I've got some splotches at the base of the pot, and my RPE is around 1000.

Weepul
11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh, and I'm having problems with 9.5's radiosity. I've got some splotches at the base of the pot, and my RPE is around 1000.

What are the rest of your settings?

Mark The Great
11-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Here it is.

Weepul
11-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Your settings look reasonable, if very high quality in terms of primary RPE and pixel spacing. Why did you set 1000% radiosity intensity? That could certainly be causing those nuclear spots around and on the teapot...

parm
11-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Very cool topic, really fun images.

And Iain; What a beautiful render!

IMI
11-15-2008, 03:30 AM
Some billiard balls... ;)

About 15 minutes to model - most of that time spent messing around with stencil - quite a bit longer to render. Gave me a chance to play with the proximity modifier for DOF. Thanks again, Iain. :)

colkai
11-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Guys, can anyone tell me how to get a nice porcelain surface settings wise?
I've seen some lovely surfaces but durn it I'm thick and can't seem to get it. Definitely having a dumb phase on me lately. :p

Iain
11-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Here's the wc from my render above. It has a simple set up for porcelain.

cresshead
11-15-2008, 06:52 AM
some excellent scenes here...autodesk is 'far right'....

IMI
11-15-2008, 08:52 AM
some excellent scenes here...autodesk is 'far right'....

I was wondering if you were going to find your way into this thread. :D

Nangleator
11-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey, odd looking toilet, but I guess... wait a minute...

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/terlet1.jpg

Take a closer look!

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/terlet2.jpg

Under 40 minutes modeling. I'll post wires soon.

colkai
11-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Here's the wc from my render above. It has a simple set up for porcelain.

Thanks man!
Typically, I have already rendered a version, though I'm going to do another using your setup :)
Did this today whilst I was busy assembling furniture in the real world, colour me sore N tired. :p

Anyhoo, here we go, the red/blood/stuff on the spoon hasn't shown up as well as I had hoped.
Wires given, model also attached. :)

Edit: Doh! done it again, forgot to say, modelling took about 30 mins or so, surfacing on the spoon based on a weight map, would love to get a better effect on the liquid but not sure if Dielectric expects a 'closed' mesh to do proper 'thickness'.

colkai
11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Trying a higher quality render setting, it's glacial on my ickle PC but hey, got to think it'll be better then. :D
Will post render if it completes before I go to bed. :p

IMI
11-15-2008, 11:09 AM
That's really cool there colkai - great idea!

I'm not sure either if dielectric needs a closed mesh... gonna find out though.

IMI
11-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Great modeling, really. I think you've captured the subtle spirit of this theme really well, too.

Excellent render too - if I didn't know better, I'd have figured this was a photo of a toilet from Larry Flynt's guest bathroom. :D

Mark The Great
11-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Your settings look reasonable, if very high quality in terms of primary RPE and pixel spacing. Why did you set 1000% radiosity intensity? That could certainly be causing those nuclear spots around and on the teapot...

Hmmm...

Here it is at 200%. I prefer 1000% because of the general look, and I don't like how dark this one is. There's still some weirdness at the bottom of the pot, so I don't think that the 1000% setting was the cause. I changed some stuff with the surfacing (I love Sigma!).

Edit: I also see that it's floating a bit. I'll fix that later.

Iain
11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Here it is at 200%. I prefer 1000% because of the general look, and I don't like how dark this one is. There's still some weirdness at the bottom of the pot, so I don't think that the 1000% setting was the cause.

I think 1000% is too much. If you need more light, you can raise the lights' intensity or add another light.

colkai
11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok, render finished.
GI time 7 mins give or take a couple of seconds. Total render time 39 mins 29 seconds.

Weepul
11-15-2008, 03:09 PM

:eek: Devious!

I'm not sure either if dielectric needs a closed mesh... gonna find out though.

Closed, no: just some geometry (dielectric or not) to be seen through it.

There's still some weirdness at the bottom of the pot, so I don't think that the 1000% setting was the cause. I changed some stuff with the surfacing (I love Sigma!).

Hmm, I think the SSS shaders had problems with interpolated radiosity in 9.5 release... That might be a cause of the blotching you see...

Weepul
11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Here's another one; about 40 minutes for modeling (CC sub-d), much more for texturing, lighting, and rendering.

IMI
11-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I redid my billiard balls, just to see how Sigma 2 would look with them, and I moved the focal point more to the front.

IMI
11-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Here's another one; about 40 minutes for modeling (CC sub-d), much more for texturing, lighting, and rendering.

Whoah-scary knives!

I actually had to look at that for a minute before I realized what was wrong. Great job!

TripD
11-15-2008, 04:53 PM
You guys would give Dali a run for his mustache!

@Weepul .... I don't 'Ow!' see anything 'OOOch!' Wrong with those knives.

I managed to do this lock within an hour mostly because I opted to not attempt the logo 'Yale'. The crappy key pushed me to over 1.5 hours though.

Mark The Great
11-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Update! Thanks for the tip, Iain. Adding a spherical light did the trick.

Maybe I'll even finish modeling the pot now. :D

colkai
11-16-2008, 03:21 AM

All you need now is to make the studs on the handles spikes! :p

colkai
11-16-2008, 03:22 AM
I redid my billiard balls, just to see how Sigma 2 would look with them, and I moved the focal point more to the front.

That looks nice, wonder if I should try Sigma on my cup, I must admit, I rarely dive into nodes / materials.

IMI
11-16-2008, 05:34 AM
That looks nice, wonder if I should try Sigma on my cup, I must admit, I rarely dive into nodes / materials.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I would try Sigma2 if I were doing a cup like that, or anything porcelain-like. Porcelain is a bit translucent, and Sigma and Sigma2 are scattering nodes, so it would make sense. Although I don't know if it would be "technically correct" for porcelain - though you can adjust the refraction index of course.

If you want to save yourself alot of time doing experimental rendering, have a light behind the object as well as in front, and make note of your grid size relative to your object size so you can start with a scattering distance that's at least in the general ballpark.

It didn't really do much, scattering-wise for the billiard balls, since they're solid and uniformly thick objects, but I thought it gave them a nice spec.

IMI
11-16-2008, 05:40 AM
I managed to do this lock within an hour mostly because I opted to not attempt the logo 'Yale'. The crappy key pushed me to over 1.5 hours though.

I love your lock man! At least the key won't get lost. ;)

On the key though, I believe you could get sharper edges if you moved those outer edges more towards the outside. If you know what I mean - the closer your edges are to the outer part of an object, the less sub-patch smoothing of the edges you'll get.

colkai
11-16-2008, 06:17 AM
If you want to save yourself alot of time doing experimental rendering, have a light behind the object as well as in front, and make note of your grid size relative to your object size so you can start with a scattering distance that's at least in the general ballpark.
So do you use object size, or presumed thickness to sort out the setting? Just I tried sigma2 on a setting of a couple of millimeters based on my cup rim thickness and I seem to get very odd 'banding' on the inner part of the rim, I don't know if it's odd reflection or what.
I'll do a larger render (been working at 320x240 for speed) and put it up here with a screenshot of my sigma2 settings, be very grateful for your input on it. :)

IMI
11-16-2008, 06:42 AM
The scattering distance, I believe, is the distance into the object the light will penetrate. I've noticed too a very short distance can create bands and strange shadows, and I think small objects don't do well unless the grid is sized down to accommodate them. In other words, I wouldn't use a 5m grid with a 10cm object. Something like that. And if your scattering distance exceeds your object's size, all surface features will get softened - starts to look waxy.

If you want a "cheap" and painless way to test it out, create a null in layout and make it a Torus or something with the Modeler Tools. Makes for a nice, lo-poly and quick-to-render object to experiment with. Gotta have raytrace shadows, transparency and refraction on, too, and reflection if you're using any spec on it.

IMI
11-16-2008, 06:47 AM
I'll add too, it seems the scatter distance is measured from where the light hits your object and it penetrates the object according to the distance you set.

IMI
11-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Here, so you can sort of see the effect.
I have my options set to feet/inches, btw.
The torus is 9 feet in diameter, and the scatter distance is half that. You can see the settings I used and you can see the yellow penetrated halfway into the object, but falling off gradually and continuing through, but diminished.

I imagine there's probably a way to adjust the falloff, probably with a math node of some sort, or maybe a "distance to" gradient.

IMI
11-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Same settings, but with the gamma set to 2.0... makes the colors more true to what you have selected for the surface and scatter.

Nangleator
11-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Here are my wires.

Ridiculously easy to build this, and to modify it. I started with just a 2-point poly on the X-axis, then in the top view, in Edge mode, Extended, moved, rotated. I did that a few times until I had the top rim of the toilet, on one side of the X-axis. Mirrored it, selected the points along the outer edge, Extend, Move, Scale a few times. Then the same for the inside of the toilet. The tank was just a matter of grabbing a few polys, Extend, Move, Scale... It's all one piece here, except for the tank lid.

I've gone through Taron's head modeling tutorial more times than I can count, and I'm still bad at making heads. Each one gets slightly better, but it's frustrating. However, in my daily work in other areas, I notice I tear through problems that would have killed me a few years ago.

To think, if I had invented the technique in the mid-90s when I started modeling, I'd be a one-name artist now!

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/terlet3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/terlet4.jpg

colkai
11-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Very useful info IMI, thanks. :)

IMI
11-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Very useful info IMI, thanks. :)

You're welcome. :)

In case you're interested, I made a scene and am uploading it if you want to check it out.

Maybe not very "correct" for porcelain, but it looks cool at least. Sigma2 node, of course, on the cup and saucer. I intentionally overdid the scatter and reflection to make it more obvious.

The objects I just whipped up real quick, 'cause what I really wanted to do was render. ;)
The render with the settings in the .lws scene file (LW 9.5, btw) took my machine 10 minutes, 25 seconds to render.
It probably would have looked better with radiosity, but I didn't want to take the time to set that up. The problem with radiosity and SSS is, obviously if you have a strong light source, and a light probe in there for reflection purposes, the image will get blown out. But it seems for objects like this you *need* a strong light source to get the SSS effect.
Probably there's some way around that problem, but I have yet to really look into it.

Mark The Great
11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
In case you want yet another porcelain surface to tweak, here's my teapot scene. I also used Sigma2, mainly to get the shadow of the handle to look right. Oh, and it uses Dpont's Sunsky plugin, so you might need that.

About Sigma2, it seems to be messing up the shadows in the scene, making them much more pronounced than they would normally be. Anyone else experienced that?

IMI
11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
About Sigma2, it seems to be messing up the shadows in the scene, making them much more pronounced than they would normally be. Anyone else experienced that?

Area lights and dome lights do better, with a high quality setting, but also the scatter distance can play hell with the shadows if it's a large object on a small grid, or vice-versa.

RollerJesus
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
About 15 minutes total effort. Love the category!

TripD
11-16-2008, 09:52 PM
@Nangleator: Heh funny/creepy idea there! But now I'm very peeanoid. Very clean modeling me thinks.

@Rollerjesus: Too funny. Kinda looks like a candle holder with some wicked candle smoke coming out.

I love your lock man! At least the key won't get lost. ;)

On the key though, I believe you could get sharper edges if you moved those outer edges more towards the outside. If you know what I mean - the closer your edges are to the outer part of an object, the less sub-patch smoothing of the edges you'll get.

Yah, I could have touched it up, but I knew I couldn't do any of those nifty side indentures cause I already ran over on time. I would've left the key out of the picture, but then it woulda just been a lock. lol

We may just have to change the name of this contest to Speed Mendering.

colkai
11-17-2008, 03:20 AM
You guys are way kind, thanks, I'll be dissecting these to try and improve my surfacing techniques. :)

colkai
11-17-2008, 03:22 AM
It probably would have looked better with radiosity, but I didn't want to take the time to set that up. The problem with radiosity and SSS is, obviously if you have a strong light source, and a light probe in there for reflection purposes, the image will get blown out. But it seems for objects like this you *need* a strong light source to get the SSS effect.
Probably there's some way around that problem, but I have yet to really look into it.
A-ha! - that explains a lot actually, I had been using radiosity and as you say, blow out, dropped my global illum. down to 40% to get anything like a clear image.

IMI
11-17-2008, 04:34 AM
A-ha! - that explains a lot actually, I had been using radiosity and as you say, blow out, dropped my global illum. down to 40% to get anything like a clear image.

Yeah, but when you lower it that much you begin to defeat the purpose of GI, I think.
One thing I suppose you could do is convert any HDR images to JPG or 24 bit BMP or something like that, to lessen the effect it has on GI. If you only want it as something for objects in the scene to reflect, that is.

colkai
11-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Hmm, could try that, I'm surprised dropping the GI down would be any different to say altering the exposure once the image is rendered, but I am not exactly "up" on these matters so I'm probably wrong. :p

IMI
11-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Hmm, could try that, I'm surprised dropping the GI down would be any different to say altering the exposure once the image is rendered, but I am not exactly "up" on these matters so I'm probably wrong. :p

No, you could be right - I'm not really sure. I've just noticed what appeared to be a degradation in GI quality in the past when lowering it. Could just be me though. ;)
I usually leave it at 100% anyway, and adjust lights or b/g or image probe brightness, or lower the diffuse values of surfaces.

ANS
11-17-2008, 08:30 AM
one more cup with something wrong ;)
about 30 minutes for model.

colkai
11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I usually leave it at 100% anyway, and adjust lights or b/g or image probe brightness, or lower the diffuse values of surfaces.

Could be worth trying the combinations to see if there is any obvious differences. :)

Iain
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM

I vary intensity from 20% to 200%. It won't affect the scene other than overall brightness.

IMI
11-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I vary intensity from 20% to 200%. It won't affect the scene other than overall brightness.

Good to hear. Thanks for the info. :)

Iain
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Good to hear. Thanks for the info. :)

No problem.

Nice balls!

art
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice entries everyone, this one is fun to watch. All challenges are :)

JCG
11-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Ran full 17 minutes over the time limit even though the only thing (intentionally) not quite right is a single character.

Weepul
11-18-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm not done yet! :D

Speaking of which, I have notes for some half dozen more ideas...

See what you've done, Colkai? You've given me a topic I'm finding really interesting! This is all your fault. :p

Black version = most faithful to my model, white version = easier to see what's amiss. :) About 50 minutes for modeling.

Weepul
11-18-2008, 08:05 AM
one more cup with something wrong ;)
about 30 minutes for model.

Heh, neat! I think the best part is, if made right, it would in fact hold liquid...until you try to pick up the cup. :D What a mess that would be!

BeeVee
11-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Ran full 17 minutes over the time limit even though the only thing (intentionally) not quite right is a single character.

Hope it wasn't the Kelvin bit because you don't need a degree symbol with Kelvin! :D

B

Weepul
11-18-2008, 08:39 AM
One more. (Accursed edit time limit...)

Toby147
11-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I've been reading through these forums for the past week or so and finally decided to try my luck with this. The modeling wasn't the difficult part but the scene setup and rendering turned out to be a nightmare. I'm waaaaaaay out of my element when it comes to realistic rendering. The images that I've seen on here are phenomenal!! Thought I'd try it out. I've definitely learned a lot.

The model took about 55 minutes (I'm no speed modeler) and an insane amount of time with the setup (too long for me to admit). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Iain
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm waaaaaaay out of my element when it comes to realistic rendering..

No need for realistic rendering here.:)

Nice entry and good modelling too.
If you want tips for improvement, try using images rather than procedurals for your work surface.

Nothing is more photoreal than photography.

JCG
11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Hope it wasn't the Kelvin bit because you don't need a degree symbol with Kelvin! :DB err... uhm...ugh... it's... an oven from 1967 yeah... that's my story >_<;;;.

Toby147
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
No need for realistic rendering here.:)

Nice entry and good modelling too.
If you want tips for improvement, try using images rather than procedurals for your work surface.

Nothing is more photoreal than photography.

Thanks. :D

Like I said, I'm not usually using photos as my work surface, so if I have them... not sure where they are! ;) Appreciate the tip, though. Very cool.

TripD
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Muhahahahaha!

Only took a few mins on my third try to get clean sub'd's. Who woulda thought that simpler is better? :D

colkai
11-19-2008, 03:05 AM
I've been reading through these forums for the past week or so and finally decided to try my luck with this.

Nice one, interesting how the food / drink problem seems popular. :p

Reminds me of unlucky uncle Arthur, the soup factory at the top of the road burst it's boiler and all he could find was a fork and a sieve. :D
(Nostalgia for those in the UK who remember Mike Harding ;) )

Weepul
11-19-2008, 03:41 AM
So when's the deadline? 'Cause I'm not through all my ideas yet. :p

flakester
11-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Nice idea Weepul - and a pretty sweet render to boot.
Awesome work.

flakester.

Nangleator
11-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Wow, brilliant render, outstanding surface, great modeling.

Iain
11-19-2008, 05:28 AM
So when's the deadline? 'Cause I'm not through all my ideas yet. :p

Today at 2200 GMT.

That nail/screw render is terrific! I love the surfacing.

Weepul
11-19-2008, 05:52 AM
Today at 2200 GMT.
Ok, that's what I figured. So it's pretty unlikely I'll be able to finish any more of my ideas in time beyond this one, so if anyone wants to make any of them themselves, go ahead:

- A fire extinguisher with a flamethrower nozzle and the advisory, "Use in case of extinguishment". Maybe light the scene all diffusely orange lit from below to make it look like it's emergency gear for a certain fiery plane of existence. :D
- A pair of glasses with the nose bridge and pads upside-down.
- A security camera with a lens cap attached.

If not, I might finish them myself anyway, just for fun.

Thank you. :) I forgot to mention, that one took about a half-hour for modeling. As usual, quite a bit more for texturing and scene setup.

Aaaand, here's one more. About 45 minutes for modeling.

Nangleator
11-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Excellent modeling, weepul, and good ideas, too.

I had lots of ideas I didn't have time to go with, too. I was inspired by my toilet. At first I wanted to create a toilet that was plainly not for someone entirely human. Then I thought about clearly alien bathroom fittings. Or a toilet with a suspicious device inside and a control panel with buttons for "Excruciate," "Descrotalasculate," "Recto-Explodate," and "Refecalize."

Not all my ideas were related to toilets.

Really.

Toby147
11-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Weepul: Great ideas!! The surfaces on that nail/screw are awesome. You're really kicking these out. Very nice.

TripD: Nice one. Very clean model. That would certainly make for an interesting game of craps!! :P

cagey5
11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I think Weepul nailed it.

art
11-19-2008, 10:03 AM
That's the best nailscrew I've ever seen.

colkai
11-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Ok, less than 3 hours to go and I have to say, been some great entries, I'm pretty sure I've already made up my mind unless I see something new that blows me away. The winner will, of course, be responsible for coming up with challenge #16. I'll probably announce said winner tomorrow as I may be busy later.

( Wonder if IMI has come up with an ideas for challenge #15 yet? :) )

IMI
11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
My final entry...

Toilet paper in a public restroom. ;)

Modeling time - 40 minutes, rendering time about a half hour.

IMI
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Ok, less than 3 hours to go and I have to say, been some great entries, I'm pretty sure I've already made up my mind unless I see something new that blows me away. The winner will, of course, be responsible for coming up with challenge #16. I'll probably announce said winner tomorrow as I may be busy later.

This has been a great subject with some really cool entries! I love 'em all, even if I haven't pointed that out for each entry. :)

Weepul, that's some *fantastic* work!

( Wonder if IMI has come up with an ideas for challenge #15 yet? :) )

Yes, I have an idea. It's gonna be hard to live up to this theme though. ;)
Who do I tell?

Toby147
11-19-2008, 11:59 AM
This has been a great theme. Came up with a lot of ideas, but unfortunately not enough time to work on them. Really great entries for this one. Very creative!! Look forward to #15. :)

parm
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I've really enjoyed all the entries for this one.

Here's mine while my internet connection is still up, (It's been really rubbish all week, and down most of today).

parm
11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's the wires and the lwo.

47 minutes modelling, well 30 modelling and stopped needless tweaking it, at 47 mins.

flakester
11-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Well executed idea there Parm, good clean model too.

flakester.

parm
11-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Thank you flakester.

The seashell tool was a big help. The shell took under 5 minutes to do in total,
with it.

Iain
11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes, I have an idea. It's gonna be hard to live up to this theme though. ;)
Who do I tell?

You can PM me or just copy and paste the first post here to make a new one.
Like your toilet roll render btw.

This has been a great challenge all round. Well done on a the idea Colkai :)

Weepul
11-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the praise, everyone! And my thanks to Colkai for picking a theme I was interested in. :D

My final entry...

Toilet paper in a public restroom. ;)
:D D'oh!

Here's mine while my internet connection is still up, (It's been really rubbish all week, and down most of today).
That's a well-equipped snail. :p

So I managed to bang out one more. About 35 minutes for modeling.

flakester
11-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Ace entries all, well done.

Didn't have time to finish mine in the end - was well under the hour for the modeling, but had to go and eat in the middle of laying out - so missed the deadline. Never mind!

I'll post the image so you can see the idea, and where it was heading. Might finish it off when I have more time.

Can't wait to see the idea for the next challenge.

flakester.

VoodooChile
11-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone...LW newbie here who would like to submit something for this week's challenge. Am I too late? When is the cutoff?

Really enjoyed all of the pictures this week.

Mark The Great
11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Today at 2200 GMT.

See above.

If you hurry, you can make it.

IMI
11-19-2008, 04:42 PM
You can PM me or just copy and paste the first post here to make a new one.
Like your toilet roll render btw.

Thanks and thanks. :)
Since it's past 2200 GMT, I'll be posting the #15 challenge soon..

IMI
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone...LW newbie here who would like to submit something for this week's challenge. Am I too late? When is the cutoff?

Really enjoyed all of the pictures this week.

VoodooChile, (Can I call you Jimi? ;) )

You missed the deadline for competetion, but you can certainly post models and renders still. This was a fun topic, and it would be cool if people post new "creations" to it into the future, just for fun. :)

VoodooChile
11-20-2008, 12:44 AM
IMI, sure you can all me Jimi! I only wish I could play my guitar 1/10th as good as he did :)

Well, I decided to post my project even though it was late since it represents the first project that I have ever completed from start to finish....yeehaa! I know my model is probably rediculously silly to the talented people here but it is something I never imagined I could have done even 1 month ago, so please ignore me while I go on with my bad self :)

I just started learning LW about 3-4 months ago as a hobby, and in that time I have read two 1,000 page books, watch countless videos and read articles until my eyes bled, but I hadn't ever taken the time to just sit down and make something for fun. I really enjoyed it and hope to enter more of the modelling challenges as motivation to learn new things.

Anyway, enough rambling. It took me 4 attempts from start to finish but I finally was able to complete modeling in 52 minutes. I just learned subD modeling last week, so I'm not very good yet and I had to make a few practice runs before making the final attempt. I wasn't sure if making the hypervoxel flame counted as modeling time...if it does then I ran over because I spent somewhere in the vicinity of 5 hours lol - I've never used hypervoxels before.

Iain
11-20-2008, 01:07 AM
it represents the first project that I have ever completed from start to finish....yeehaa! I know my model is probably rediculously silly to the talented people here but it is something I never imagined I could have done even 1 month ago, so please ignore me while I go on with my bad self :)

That looks great! Well done-better late than never :)

geothefaust
11-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey VoodooChile, welcome to the forums and to LW. :)

That's an excellent model, and an even better render. The flame looks superb!! :thumbsup:

Anyway, enough rambling. It took me 4 attempts from start to finish but I finally was able to complete modeling in 52 minutes. I just learned subD modeling last week, so I'm not very good yet and I had to make a few practice runs before making the final attempt. I wasn't sure if making the hypervoxel flame counted as modeling time...if it does then I ran over because I spent somewhere in the vicinity of 5 hours lol - I've never used hypervoxels before.

IMI
11-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Alright Jimi, that looks really good!

Completing that first LW project is satisfying, isn't it?

I know what you mean about all the time put in reading books and studying videos. I've been L-waving since v.7 and 2002, and in that time have bought every major LW book that's come out, and a whole lot of videos since they started becoming popular a couple years ago. I was always hard surface modeling though and it's only recently I began diving into subpatch modeling. LOADS to learn there.

If you don't already have them, a couple books and videos I think are the best are Steve Warner's Essential LightWave v.9, Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave v 9 (both come with a disk with videos and project files), Dan Ablan's LightWave v.9 Courseware, and, of course, the nearly 4 GB's of free videos William Vaughan has put out and posted here: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

But back to the subject, that candle looks really good. Took me a little while to figure out what was "wrong" with it, though - you did a great job with that hypervoxel flame. I'd say you're well on your way. :)

Nangleator
11-20-2008, 05:25 AM
VC, that's a sweet render!

colkai
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Guys, sorry I'm late with the result, but been a hectic day at work and didn't get any break until now. (ahh joy :p)
I have to say this was a toughie, many very good entries, in the end though, both for the modelling, which was nicely done, plus the concept, I am gonig with Weepul with his screw/nail.
I know it's a modelling challenge but I also wanted to pass on kudos for the render of the subject too, perfectly 'described' and beautifully lit and surfaced.

So again, congrats to Weepul who gets to think about what challenge #16 will entail. :)

It was great to see so many entries this time around plus folks wanting to do multiple entries - give yaselfs a congratulatory shot of your favourite beverages. :D

geothefaust
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Congrats Weepul. :)

Toby147
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Congrats, Weepul. Great job with the theme!!

flakester
11-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Well deserved Weepul. Congrats!

flakester.

Korvar
11-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Congrats, weepul :)

IMI
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Yes, congratulations, weepul!

Mark The Great
11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Congrats! And I just realized what was wrong with the picture. So, I guess it went slightly over my head. :D

TripD
11-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Gratus Maximus Weepul!! :)

Weepul
11-22-2008, 04:29 AM
Thank you all, and thank you Colkai for picking mine, and again for the fun theme. :)

I already have an idea for a topic, but I'll see if I come up with anything better in the meanwhile...

I'd be willing to share my models, but for most of them it wouldn't be practical to include all the texturing. Would you guys be interested anyway?