PDA

View Full Version : Information on surface nodes.

sublimationman
11-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Is there a good book or web site that explains the node editor really well?

I have been playing with using nodes for a month now and just can't wrap my head around what all the options do. For instance right now I am making a note book cover and want it to look sort of like the colorful plastic ones that are slightly translucent but I want mine more transparent.

Figured this was a perfect place to test out nodes and started off with a pre made surface called frozen glass. Well it has a dielectric and gradient. I have 2 problems, it's 100% transparent and I don't want it 100% but more like 50% but there does not seam to be a way to change it. Also I want it slightly blue-green but I can only get clear with slight white flakes ( I like the flakes).

Anyway just looking for a literal definition guide on what stuff means (What affect it has) like normal, dispersion, absorption, blending and so on.

I think if I know what each controls I can figure out what to set to what to get my desired effects.

Matt
11-13-2008, 04:56 AM
You are double-clicking on the nodes to bring up their options where you can change stuff right?

sublimationman
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Yea I understand that much. I think the reason it was not doing what I wanted is because it was a material and apparently with a material plugged in the transparency node has no effect.

I got the look myself starting from scratch using transparency, flakes and image reflection but I am still wanting to find some sort of reference guide to help me understand all the options better. Maybe nodes are too new for a book to be out but I would love to see a small book on nothing but explaining what each one does and how they interact with each other.

The stuff that is already in the regular surface setting is no big deal but I want to learn everything else and get a better idea of how they interact. I do play a lot but there are billions of possible combinations so if you at least have an idea of what does this or that it can go a long way toward getting the look you want.