PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Motion Builder with Lightwave??

digirob
11-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I need to do some Character animation and we do our modeling in LW and animation when it comes to characters in MotionBuilder.

Seems LW STILL doen't work well with FBX. Even 9.5 won't export correctly and forget about merging animation data into LW. The older plugins don't work.

Anyone else having any solutions or thoughts on this?

-Rob

jasonwestmas
11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah, use the LW Beta.

daforum
11-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I need to do some Character animation and we do our modeling in LW and animation when it comes to characters in MotionBuilder.

Seems LW STILL doen't work well with FBX. Even 9.5 won't export correctly and forget about merging animation data into LW. The older plugins don't work.

Anyone else having any solutions or thoughts on this?

-Rob

Take a look at the Siggraph 08 videos on the Newtek website
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/sigvideos.php

Go to the list tab and take a look at video no:4 FBX Import/ Export and this may help you with what you need to do.

joseburgos
11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
It works here.
I am using the old fbx plug-in and I export then animate in MB then merge back in to LW.
The plug-in runs a lot slower now and will give the impression that LW has stopped responding but give it some time and it should work.
Does here anyway.

Good luck,

joseburgos
11-12-2008, 06:20 PM
PS This is the plug-in I use;
http://www.burgosfx.com/learnalien/downloads/fbxlw.p

digirob
11-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks All...

I'll give it another chance.

User error I guess...

Thanks again!!!

-Rob

digirob
11-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Jose,

I've tried everything and I still can't get the data to work. I'm getting screwy results.

I'm using MotionBuilder 7.5 Ext. 2 64 bit and Lightwave 9.5 (32 and 64).

I've been using 9.5 32 bit because plugins work better with 32 bit.

Just not having any luck.

I looked at the siggraph video and wow...that looks great BUT...I can't get that to work here for some reason. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

-Rob

joseburgos
11-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Well I dug deep and changed the flow I used to do to run some test.
Start with I use LW 9.5 32bit and the FBX plug-in I mentioned above.
If I load my skeleton attached to a null root in LW and save that out via the same FBX plug-in.
I then load this into MB 6.0.1 (have stopped upgrading since 4.0).
Here I characterize and then add motions via the character track, I then plot all and save the new FBX file.
I switch back to LW where the null object with skeleton is and using same FBX plug-in, I use Merge FBX and choose the take.
Now my skeleton moves just like in MB.
I then replace null with my character object and go from there.

Anyway, that is my present work flow but I did something I have not done in a while and that is save the scene with the character and skeleton out of LW using the LW FBX plug-in and the old FBX plug-in I mentioned before.
No matter what setting I choose on the LW 9.5 FBX plug-in I use, it saves out of LW but crashes MB 6.0.1 every time.
The old one still works but takes a very long time for the FBX to generate out of LW and then takes a long time to load in MB.

Hope that helps,

digirob
11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for checking Jose!

I have MB 7.5 :( not 6.

Bummer. I might have to load an old version of LW. This use to work. We don't do a lot of character animation. I'm pretty good with MB and usually just use that but I need to do some radiosity rendering with Vue landscapes.

Our workflow with character animation starts with Poser. Build the character save it out. The poser pro with their plugin is fantastic mainly for getting all of the surfaces right. Also just picked up PK plugin from Kurv studios...very nice. Open the scene in Daz Studio and use their Collada plugin and presto...perfect scene in MB.

Then we go straight into MB. Works like a charm until you want to go to LW....

Thanks again!

-Rob

DLIT
11-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Meet the same screwy import in MB7.5 exported from fresh LW9.5 offering FBX with options bin/ascii and MB70 75 60 and some other FBX. I presume NT made test with those before release. What comment ? Thanks for help.