PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know about flightsims?

virtualcomposer
11-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey everybody, I am looking and not sure where to find it. I'm looking for a flight sim that either is specifically geared towards helicopters or has allot of helicopters available for it. I want something that is accurate as for controls and can basically teach me the basics of flying one. I know I need the right hardware as well. I also have a Mac Pro so Microsoft Flight Sim is not an option unfortunately. Do you guys know of any really good flight sim that is realistic like MFS is? I'm mostly interested in helicopters so no airplane only flight simulators. I also need the hardware to be Mac compatible.

Phil
11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
X-Plane no good?

virtualcomposer
11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
x-plane? Is that Mac oriented and is it helicopters?

virtualcomposer
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I just checked out the site and it looks really nice. I need to find the hardware that will run with mac OSX that is really good quality like the foot pedals, left bar and joystick. I'm all about buying quality so I don't have to keep spending money on junk that breaks down every 2 months.

virtualcomposer
11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Now I'm getting excited!

OlaHaldor
11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Funny this topic appeared now. I recently bought X-plane, and a Saitek Pro Yoke system. Works like a charm, and the graphics aren't that bad.

I've been flying Microsoft Flight Simulator 9 and X two years, until I sold everything last summer, finding myself in a headache of always got to have the latest and best hardware to run the simulation as smooth as possible while getting the most out of the graphics.. It made the simulator dead to me. Now I've got a much better attitude to the whole simulator thing - X-plane saved my day.

BigHache
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I've been looking for a helo sim too. My Win system is much more powerful than my Mac though, so no X-Plane for me at the moment.

jin choung
11-24-2008, 12:17 AM
no idea about helicopters but il2 is a rockin' ww2 plane sim. hear good things about x-plane... that it is really deep but complaints have been that it's not as friendly as m$ fs.

say vc, is that chopper yours?

and while we're on the subject of non fixed wing aircraft - i dunno why autogyro's aren't more popular... it seems like THIS is indeed the way to go for popular, individual aviation.

fool proof. can't crash unless you bash yourself against a cliff or CFIT or something.

jin

jin choung
11-24-2008, 12:18 AM
I've been looking for a helo sim too. My Win system is much more powerful than my Mac though, so no X-Plane for me at the moment.

x-plane is for windows too!

jin

virtualcomposer
11-24-2008, 01:08 AM
no idea about helicopters but il2 is a rockin' ww2 plane sim. hear good things about x-plane... that it is really deep but complaints have been that it's not as friendly as m$ fs.

say vc, is that chopper yours?

and while we're on the subject of non fixed wing aircraft - i dunno why autogyro's aren't more popular... it seems like THIS is indeed the way to go for popular, individual aviation.

fool proof. can't crash unless you bash yourself against a cliff or CFIT or something.

jin

Wish I could say it was my chopper. My wife and I went to see the Airwolf remake in Knoxville a couple months ago and also flew in a Bell 206B as well. It was the highlight of the year for me. If I had the money and my wish, I would have a working helicopter that is an exact replica of Airwolf. I guess I'm what you call a copterholic. Can't wait to get the X-plane with all the hardware as well.

jin choung
11-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Wish I could say it was my chopper. My wife and I went to see the Airwolf remake in Knoxville a couple months ago and also flew in a Bell 206B as well. It was the highlight of the year for me. If I had the money and my wish, I would have a working helicopter that is an exact replica of Airwolf. I guess I'm what you call a copterholic. Can't wait to get the X-plane with all the hardware as well.

coooool...

well in the meantime, you got the sims (oooh, would recommend this- really makes a difference for "situational awareness" - never tried it myself but i am frustrated at NOT having the thing it provides - http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/ ... not having it it's difficult to tell what maneuvers you are doing because you have no seat of the pants experience and it's difficult to understand your in-world orientation through just the forward view... also makes it deceptively difficult to keep track of bogies so that they end up in good firing positions that would be unlikely in a real world situation where you can see them behind you and stuff).

and you could always kit helicopters for a lot cheaper than you can the bell... you can wait on that until you make your first million. : )

jin

p.s. better link http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackIR-4-PRO.html

virtualcomposer
11-24-2008, 01:46 AM
That sounds like a really nice device but unfortunately it only works with windows. I am however looking for a reallistic hardware controllers for x-plane that a real chopper pilot would use and also works with Mac. They are hard to find. I'm supprised at how little attention helicopters get compared to airplanes.

The Dommo
11-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Jin, you play IL-2? I love that series :)

archijam
11-24-2008, 05:09 AM
That sounds like a really nice device but unfortunately it only works with windows. I am however looking for a reallistic hardware controllers for x-plane that a real chopper pilot would use and also works with Mac. They are hard to find. I'm supprised at how little attention helicopters get compared to airplanes.

If you need to whett your appetite, and you have an iPhone (or iPod touch), there's an official version of x-plane for 10 bucks, just search the iTunes store ...

Nangleator
11-24-2008, 09:14 AM
X-plane has a great online community, too, with lots of free downloads.

A fair amount of rotorheads create content, too.

virtualcomposer
11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
X-plane has a great online community, too, with lots of free downloads.

A fair amount of rotorheads create content, too.

That's very good to hear. I just don't care about airplanes. My dad did but I inherited the rotorholic. My biggest concern is getting good quality hardware. I need helicopter equipment, not plane equipment. It's much different and it needs to work with Mac. I've been on the internet and found a few things but one thing I haven't found is the throttle stick. I'm not sure where to look.

OlaHaldor
11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
As far as I know, Saitek should work with Mac. They got pedals and joysticks with throttle, though not a "throttle stick" - maybe a nice modification (some tape and a broom stick, painted black?) would do the trick..

I finally got a few hours free last night to get a tiiiiiiny little bit into the instruments and all again, after a few bumpy landings for show, to see the amazing physics in x-plane (trust me, x-planes physics knocks MSFS dead).

Dash 8 - 100 (http://www.olahaldor.net/fsvid/video/xp_d8100.mov) take off.. This one is a bit more worked on with a more cinematic approach.

The bumpy landing (http://www.olahaldor.net/dash100.wmv) - check out how the suspension really works with this one - and not least how nice the reflections in the water are compared to MSFS.

I don't need "cinematic graphics" like in MSFS - X-plane has got those killer little things like clouds that cast shadow on the ground and the awesome wing flex and physics in the landing gear. Totally in love with it, and after a take-off / landing I spend loads of time to review how it looks from a different perspective. :D

Nangleator
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Good videos! I guess X-plane has gotten more pretty since I saw it last. Pretty sure I don't have the juice to run that on my old system. I'll look into it again when I upgrade.

It would be nice to get my hands on a nice light plane again.

jin choung
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Jin, you play IL-2? I love that series :)

oh yeah. but i really need to get the track ir... very difficult to pull off things like rolling scissors without being able to see around the world (and where the other dudes are) while you're doing it...

jin

Nangleator
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I was grooving on Aces High II for a while, until they removed the free play side of the game. (I didn't have the $15/mo. fee back then, and my wife wouldn't let me get all obsessive about it now.)

Pretty darned accurate sim, very intense dogfights, and the flexibility of a few different types of missions, if you didn't want to be a pure dogfighter.

Nangleator
11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Good source of files: http://www.avsim.com/

3D Kiwi
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
You could go to a hobbie store that has rc chopers, I know they sell sims that you can hook up to a rc transmitter and they use it to teach people how to fly choppers before they fly there 1k model for the first time, the graphics arnt the best and i dont know if you can get a mac version but might be an idea.

OlaHaldor
12-30-2008, 07:00 AM
I've created a new X-plane video with the best payware plane I've seen so far.
HD video of Mitsubishi MU-2 twin prop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbaxHfxSgZU&fmt=22).

I'm currently creating a new scenery for the airport I landed at in that video. The scenery is outdated big time, not even the new tower (which is about a decade old) isn't in place. LightWave is of course the tool for this part.. ;)