PDA

View Full Version : issues w/ hdd

EVBC
08-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Hi,
We have a Dell PRECISION 530 w/ video toaster 2. For some reason, the computer twice has had a hdd failure and we feel the reason might be resulting from vt[2]. Has anybody else had this issue? It appears that vt[2] is writing something odd to the hdd causing it to become corrupted/damaged and we have to buy a brand new hdd each time to replace and then format and etc. Any ideas/comments/suggestions? Thanks.

SBowie
08-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, it's hard to diagnose your issue long distance like this, but ... there are an awful lot of T[2]'s out there that aren't burning up hard drives; so one is inclined to suspect another cause.

Paul Lara
08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by EVBC
For some reason, the computer twice has had a hdd failure and we feel the reason might be resulting from vt[2].

Absolutely impossible.
Any reads or writes from VT go through the Operating System first. It is unusual for hard drives to fail, and quite unusual for two drives in a row to fail. But...it can and does happen. Some more rational reasons for repeated hard drive failures might include:

Excessive heating / inadequate airflow
Power spikes
Insufficient voltage / underpowered Power supply
Intermittent electrical shorts in the cabling

Mick Haensler
08-07-2003, 04:37 AM
You didn't say what kind of drive you have. My work computer has gone through 4 hard drives in 6 months and it had nothing to do with VT. My repair shop was using cheap rebuilt crap. Make sure of what you are getting.

Mick Haensler
Soundworx

PIZAZZ
08-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Curious.

Do you use Nextel phones by chance??

I had a client that kept killing hard drives and he believed it was his phone giving off too much interference.

Just trying all the angles....

ted
08-11-2003, 11:03 AM
I've heard the same thing about Cell Phones on the internet:eek:

Check for proper cooling and make sure you have a Voltage Regulator capable UPS on any computer you own.

Just curious, do you leave you system on or turn it off at night?
I turn mine off, but there are valid arguments both ways.

SBowie
08-11-2003, 12:22 PM
They can be turned off?