PDA

View Full Version : Need help. Windows XP won't start anymore.

serge
11-11-2008, 08:27 AM
A family member has asked me to have a look at her PC since it won't start Windows anymore (Windows XP Home edition). At the first Windows Splash screen it shuts down and reboots again over and over.

I tried "safe-mode" and that worked. The PC has AVG anti virus installed, so I ran that. After the check it said it found "user32.dll" which is a Trojan Horse, and it deleted it automatically :eek:. Now, when I reboot the problem is still there, and I can't even boot in safe-mode anymore.

I tried booting from the Windows CD, but that also didn't work (same problem).

I also removed the memory sticks separately, and removed any unnecessary cables (including mouse and keyboard), but no luck.

Any suggestions? (Oh, and I need to mention that I'm not exactly a computer geek.)

irenderlw
11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
You may want to make sure that the CD is the first boot device in the BIOS settings.

IMI
11-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Did she make a boot CD and/or floppy or flash drive boot with the AVG software?

User32.dll is an essential Windows file - if it's been deleted, I'd imagine you'll probably have to reinstall Windows. You can reinstall it over itself rather than reformatting first, at least that way program files and such won't be gone after the reinstall.

You might try this though, to use system restore in XP in Safe Mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

Good luck.

EDIT:
yeah, if you can get into the BIOS, make sure boot from CD is selected and disable any other boot devices if possible. Depending on the brand you can google to find which key to use to get into BIOS.

serge
11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys!

You may want to make sure that the CD is the first boot device in the BIOS settings.
Yes, I did that but that didn't work either.

Did she make a boot CD and/or floppy or flash drive boot with the AVG software?
I'm 100% sure she didn't. :)

You might try this though, to use system restore in XP in Safe Mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/
No, can't start in safe mode.

Okay, I think I might have something here. Her own Home edition CD didn't work, but I just tried my own XP-pro CD and now I get the setup option. Can I use my XP-pro CD to repair the XP Home edition?

serge
11-11-2008, 09:01 AM
... Can I use my XP-pro CD to repair the XP Home edition?
Hmm, after googling a bit it seems I can't do this. Damn.

BTW, I hit F8 and I chose the option not to reboot when an error occurs, and I get a blue screen saying it misses "user32.dll", so there you go. Seems it needs a reinstall, but if I can't boot from the CD how is this possible?

beverins
11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
one option is to remove the hard drive, and put it into a USB enclosure. Take it to another machine with a working XP Home install and copy the needed file back into system32.

serge
11-11-2008, 09:15 AM
one option is to remove the hard drive, and put it into a USB enclosure. Take it to another machine with a working XP Home install and copy the needed file back into system32.
I don't have a USB enclosure. Thanks for the idea though. If nothing else works this is probably cheaper than having to buy a new harddisk plus Windows.

serge
11-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Okay, for some odd reason it suddenly did accept the Home Edition CD. So its repairing the files right now. I guess this is going to work.

Thanks again for the quick help guys!

RollerJesus
11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
If it still doesn't work, you can download a live version of Ubuntu Linux (don't worry, it's just like Windows) and boot that from a cd.

Once it's up and running, go to trendmicro.com and run Housecall, their online virus scanner.

serge
11-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks RollerJesus.

I've got it up and running again. I'll try that "Housecall".:thumbsup:

beverins
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
You should add your voice to the complaints, this is a huge problem apparently

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/11/10/2319209.shtml

beverins
11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
they seem to have a fix

http://www.avg.com/support

and go to 1575:
False positive "user32.dll" - fix tool

Lightwolf
11-11-2008, 11:56 AM
they seem to have a fix

...I was just gonna post.

Cheers,
Mike

serge
11-11-2008, 01:42 PM
they seem to have a fix

http://www.avg.com/support

and go to 1575:
False positive "user32.dll" - fix tool
Thank you, beverins!

Dodgy
11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I've been getting a lot of what I think are false positives with AVG recently, including 3dcoat 'infections'. This sounds like this problem. Anyone else been getting suspicious 'Virus Found' reports?

Phil
11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
AVG quality went right down the drain with version 8, so I abandoned it on the Windows boxes for Avast. I prefer AVG's way of doing things, but simply cannot get on with it any more. The irritating AVG issue that shoves an error icon in your system tray if you don't install an optional component didn't help.

Stooch
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
nod32 people!

Medi8or
11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Anyone else been getting suspicious 'Virus Found' reports?:D

flatpyramid
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
nod32 people!

Yep! I'm using NOD32 and its a great AV, specially version 3. Its light and compact, you wont even notice its running a scan in the background. :)