PDA

View Full Version : anyone see THE ROAD WARRIOR lately?

jin choung
11-10-2008, 11:05 PM
i saw this movie when it was released and loved it.

but it's been a while and i caught it again on tv over the weekend.

i ended up cracking myself up cuz i said something out loud to myself that i've never said before about a movie.

"man, this looks dangerous..."

oh mercy. : )

jin

Chris S. (Fez)
11-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah, it's one of those movies you expect to end with a stuntman dedication. I caught Mad Max the other day for the first time and was dissapointed.

brian.coates
11-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Would you believe that one of the bikers (Bertrand Cadart who played Clunk and actually designed some of the motorcycles used in the film) is now the mayor of a local district (http://www.gsbc.tas.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=223) here in Tasmania.

SaturnX
11-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Would you believe that one of the bikers (Bertrand Cadart who played Clunk and actually designed some of the motorcycles used in the film) is now the mayor of a local district (http://www.gsbc.tas.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=223) here in Tasmania.

lol
that's pretty awesome ;)

jin choung
11-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Would you believe that one of the bikers (Bertrand Cadart who played Clunk and actually designed some of the motorcycles used in the film) is now the mayor

awesome!

hey he's not the guy who did the endo over his handlebars is he? there was a "dvd extras" kinda thing during the show and they said that "stunt" was actually a real accident and the dude broke his leg!

REALLY AWESOME SHOT THOUGH! i think i might have said the thing about dangerousness in that proximity! cuz it certainly wasn't cg and it did NOT look like a manequin!

jin

geothefaust
11-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Man I haven't seen that movie in some time. I remember it kicking much *** though. :D

That movie (strangely) reminded me of Weird Science, because of the biker guy with the awesome hawk. I looked up his name, Vernon Wells. Wonder if he still has a hawk? :)

doimus
11-13-2008, 03:02 AM
awesome!

hey he's not the guy who did the endo over his handlebars is he? there was a "dvd extras" kinda thing during the show and they said that "stunt" was actually a real accident and the dude broke his leg!

REALLY AWESOME SHOT THOUGH! i think i might have said the thing about dangerousness in that proximity! cuz it certainly wasn't cg and it did NOT look like a manequin!

jin

Pay attention to the end of the last chase scene, when Max turns the truck around and crashes it. There actually was a stuntman inside, driving the truck into the ground! Imagine how it must've felt....

I remember seeing the interview with the driver online... I'll try to find it...

Anyway... Roadwarrior is one of my favourite movies... Great action scenes, great video editing, GREAT soundtrack, great costume and scene design (you have to see the HD version to really appreciate this) and above all, great atmosphere.

BTW, did you know that Mad Max 1 & 2 are NOT set in post-nuclear world? Nuclear apocalypse was something trendy that was added to the third movie, among all other trendy things.

EDIT:
Here's the interview, from madmaxmovies.com (lots of info there).
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/making/madmax2/TankerRoll/index.html

Korvar
11-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Mad Max I and II were more of a "Peak Oil" aftermath... years before that got trendy :)

Nangleator
11-13-2008, 07:24 AM
... Weird Science, because of the biker guy with the awesome hawk. I looked up his name, Vernon Wells. Wonder if he still has a hawk? :)
Pretty sure he played the heavy in Commando, too. Not certain, but the face and the accent matched.

As for the final accident, I noticed the cab was already going over when the stunt coordinator fired the telephone pole cannon to make sure it rolled. You can clearly see it in the film.

Favorite moment: The cyclist that tries to slash or shoot the tire and gets pulled under the wheels. Not sure exactly how that happened, but it sure looked cool.

Iain
11-13-2008, 07:36 AM
What made me think like that was Jackie Chan's Police Story.

I spent the entire time going, "ohhhhh that had to hurt...ooooohhhh ouch!".