PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive graphics tablet?

SilverDragon
08-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi folks! I'm new to LightWave and to computer graphics in general, tho I'm an old-timer in other computer applications. My budget is limited at present, as I've blown most of it acquiring LightWave...

I note that many people use a graphics tablet with LightWave. Is it worth the expense? Will a low-end tablet like the Graphire give me most of the benefits, or do I really have to spend the bucks for an Intuos if I'm going to bother? Is there any other manufacturer besides Wacom to consider?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pensart
08-06-2003, 02:55 PM
go for the wacom intuos!!
Very serious.
I tried a graphire and an other board from trust, never again.
ofcourse this is my personal opinion.

paintboy
08-06-2003, 03:24 PM
i love my intous(12x12)....but not for LW. i am sure you will get many opinions here, after all, its really about what you get used to. i have several friends
that use the 6x9 intous and love them(still about $200)
the graphire really doesnt cut it next to the intous, just not the same for drawing/painting, less levels of pressure sensitivity(not important for LW anyway)
there used to be other manufacturers(calcomp) but they sunk, i think.
for LW, i think i would rather sink my "limited bucks" on a multi button mouse
or track ball(which is what i prefer for LW)Kensington makes some nice ones
and i have not had troubles with them. people always whine about track balls
and they do take a day or to to get used to, but once you get the hang of it their
pretty cool. Good luck!

Beamtracer
08-06-2003, 03:42 PM
The smaller Graphire tablets are very cheap. If you have a really large screen or twin CRT monitors you may find it's hard to get fine control.

You can do it with a small Graphire, but you might need to switch to the mouse every now and then when fine tweaking a model.

Tablets allow you to rest your wrist in a more natural position, so they can reduce muscle strain.

Rey
08-06-2003, 07:24 PM
I've got the 6x8 Intuos tablet, and it is one of the best investments I've made. I've never used it for LightWave though. I agree with paintboy, if you want to spend money on a new peripheral to use with LightWave invest in a multi-button optical mouse. The tablet though is indispensable when used with Photoshop; I'd highly recommend one if you spend any quality time in Photoshop.

Beamtracer
08-06-2003, 08:21 PM
But some people may need to use a tablet to avoid the strain issues I mentioned above. If I use a mouse all day and night for weeks on end I start getting muscle strain. If I switch to a tablet it goes away.

As I said, if you've got a large screen area then a larger tablet is worthwhile. I guess you can only buy the biggest one that you can afford.

SilverDragon
08-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted information! Since I will be spending - quality? - time in Photoshop, I will save my pennies until I can get a used Intuos on eBay.

Pensart
08-07-2003, 03:09 AM
Forgot to mention, i do use the pen for modeling in Lw and it rocks.
For layout i use the mouse.
Especialy when u are tweaking some point/polygons the pen is a must have.

jrd
08-07-2003, 07:43 AM
i vote for the 6x9 intuos2. especially if your gonna use photoshop at all. i've used a pen for years and would never even touch the mouse. once you get comfortable with it, you'll never go back. in fact, i think mine has fallen off behind my desk right now, i can't see it.

Trinity
08-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Absolutly get the 6x9 intous! I used to use the big ones and I was convinced I'd hate switching to the smaller ones. After using the smaller ones I very quickly came to prefer them! And I use two very large moniters. True you grow comfortable with what you use. In my experience however I have used many different configurations and even with alot of screen real estate I prefer the 6x9.

silvergun
08-07-2003, 05:29 PM
I myself bought the 9 by 12 intuos platinum fairly recently... I think its a little too big and an A5 size would be perfect. I use it for photoshop and painter but havnt really used it for lightwave yet. It works well if you wanna model with splines...Might I add..essential for texture mapping, it's made my life so much easier

GruvSyco
08-07-2003, 05:40 PM
I have the 9x12 intuos also. One thing that is really nice about it is you can set the surface to 2 drawing areas. One small one similar to the smaller pads and one big one that will allow you to do more detailed work.

I wouldn't buy anything other than a Wacom right now.

tortoro
08-08-2003, 02:53 AM
If you ar in usa you could buy a refurb one at the wacom site.
Cheaper and work wll, and you have on year of warranty