PDA

View Full Version : Animation stutter!

sean hargreaves
11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I have a 2 second animation I rendered out in Fprime. 30 fps. Frame size 2000 x 1000. I loaded it as a sequence into Quicktime Pro. But when I played it it stuttered. I checked the frames and none are missing, there are exactly 60 frames. I then loaded it into Final Cut and played it and it stuttered. I shrank the viewer to 50% and it stuttered less, then at 30% no stutter.

Why can I not view it at 100% without a stutter?

virtualcomposer
11-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a 2 second animation I rendered out in Fprime. 30 fps. Frame size 2000 x 1000. I loaded it as a sequence into Quicktime Pro. But when I played it it stuttered. I checked the frames and none are missing, there are exactly 60 frames. I then loaded it into Final Cut and played it and it stuttered. I shrank the viewer to 50% and it stuttered less, then at 30% no stutter.

Why can I not view it at 100% without a stutter?

Quicktime seems to have issues like that. I've had the same thing happen when I render out at 200%. I've gone to using image sequencing now which you can drag into FCP. It's also a better image quality as well.

sean hargreaves
11-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I have Final Cut Express, I dont think you can image sequence it into FCE. Is there another workaround you know of?

sean hargreaves
11-10-2008, 10:39 AM
the wierd thing is that is doesnt stutter in Final Cut at 25%. It seems like its an image size issue, which should'nt be a problem really.

evenflcw
11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Did/can you check CPU usage? (ctrl+shift+esc on windows system for task manager)

Quicktime isn't particularly light on the cpu, especially not when encoded with h264 or the like. And 2000x1000 is pretty big, and with alot of detail and motion that cpu will be working hard! Perhaps your cpu (or possible but unlikely hdd) just can't keep up.

virtualcomposer
11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I have Final Cut Express, I dont think you can image sequence it into FCE. Is there another workaround you know of?

Yeah, that's what I have to. Image Sequence is easy. It will work just fine.

archijam
11-10-2008, 11:11 AM
When you encode it, it should play fine, just don't put the settings ridiculously high.

On the maximum quality settings, my machine (specs bellow) can never play HD animations without stutter.

Experiment with a few different codecs.

sean hargreaves
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I think its the CPU. Now, I don't have Quicktime on my desktop cos I screwed it up and dumped it. My desktop is a 2 x 2.66 GHz CPU. It is not hooked into the internet. How can I transfer my Quicktime from my Laptop to the Desktop so that I might use the more powerful CPU?

sean hargreaves
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow, this is a pain. I can't seem to be able to copy Quicktime from one computer to another. Why?