PDA

View Full Version : AWESOME Phil Tippett stop-motion dinosaurs from 1985...

Celshader
11-08-2008, 08:51 PM
The great Phil Tippett studio made amazing stop-motion dinosaurs for a TV show called "Dinosaur!" in 1985. These amazing Tippett scenes fired my imagination for years after I first saw the TV show.

Thanks to YouTube, folks can still see this great work today. I've posted links below, along with the start/stop times of each Phil Tippett clip. Scrub to the start times to see the beautiful Tippett animation.

Montage (0:00-1:00)
T-Rex tease, disaster aftermath and hadrosaurs (4:00-5:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eQ3LDhGfpU

Hadrosaurs build a nest (4:10-4:55)
Hadrosaur lays eggs, Struthiomimus attacks them, Dinonychus pair attacks Struthiomimus (5:35-8:49)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkgr2kKnmH4

Brachiosaurs(?) eating (5:35-5:57)
Hadrosaur family, T-Rex vs. hadrosaur (7:26-9:52)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mvpVmXIbjU

Monoclonius vs. T-Rex (0:00-2:00) (my favorite piece)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAju363IMAI

Extinction event (1:08-3:49)
Montage (7:58-8:35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyxHX0ENZ14

The lighting, design, camera work, models, and character animation are all first-rate. I hope someone releases this stuff on DVD or iTunes someday.

Matt
11-08-2008, 10:20 PM
The ED-209 boardroom scene is still my favourite Tippett stop motion moment!

bobakabob
11-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the links - the T Rex forest scene is well done and the Harryhausen clips are classic. I've always thought CGI dinosaurs inferior to these stop motion behemoths.

daforum
11-09-2008, 08:42 AM
These are great clips and thanks for posting the links too. :)

hrgiger
11-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I miss Christopher Reeve.

and a particularly impressive piece of dino animation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJEPevcswk

Cageman
11-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the links - the T Rex forest scene is well done and the Harryhausen clips are classic. I've always thought CGI dinosaurs inferior to these stop motion behemoths.

Phil Tippet has done some of the very best stop-motion animations to date. Period. It's always nice to see the old techniques long before computers were added to the toolset.

Maybe some of the shading/lighting may look slightly better compared to ILMs CGI-versions, but overall, those clips are no way near the work seen in the first Jurassic Park, especially regarding the animation. Stop motion just doesn't cut it on the animation part...

Cageman
11-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I miss Christopher Reeve.

and a particularly impressive piece of dino animation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJEPevcswk

Haha... that one made me laugh! :)

Pretty well done, considering the very stiff limbs found on LEGO characters. :)

hydroclops
11-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Dinosaur!

Yeah, I really got excited about this when it first aired. I even managed to record it to vhs at the time. I've also seen it for sale on vhs, although it's long out of print. It's one of the few interesting tapes that does show up in bins of tapes for $1, or at thrift shops. As it was sold as children's entertainment, most existing copies are owned by people that don't really care about it. I bet you could find a copy without trying too hard. DVD would be best, of course.

I'd like to see the original version known as Prehistoic Beast, which was an all stop motion short. It may have not been finished.

There is a good article about this in American Cinematographer, April 1986.

anyone who likes this should check out When Dinosaurs Ruled the World. I think it has some really great dinosaurs and other effects. There are many clips on youtube.

hydroclops
11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
The main page for Prehistoric Beast on IMDB has a lengthy user comment describing the production. Here's the last bit:

And I will say that I'll include Phil Tippett's Prehistoric Beast and the 1985 CBS TV Christopher Reeve special, Dinosaur! as part of the Dexter's Odyssey DVDs between November 2012 and November 2013. Can't wait to see Phil Tippet's Prehistoric Beast! It will be totally awesome dude!

I googled Dexter's Odyssey, but it wasn't clear what it is...

hydroclops
11-09-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEK9mitagS8

This is what might have been. It's only a test. This is built upon what Tippet developed making Prehistoric Beast

Red_Oddity
11-10-2008, 03:22 AM
I thought Dragon Slayer was quite the milestone, especially with the motion blur on the stop motion footage (Go Motion), still looks cool today.
If you haven't seen it yet, you can pick it up at the bargain bin for a couple of euros/dollars (the movie itself is so so, but the fx are really cool)

jin choung
11-10-2008, 03:35 AM
ahhhhhh.... go motion....

man, that was a loooooooong walk for a short drink of water.... geez, to have all those servos and stepper motors during an exposure.... yeeeeeesh.... it's a wonder how people did this stuff before computers.... and to preface - i'm totally a child of the 80s and grew up on stop motion, motion control and optical printers....

imo, a much more reasonable solution to the strobing of non motion blurred stop motion was pulled off for beetlejuice for the beetlejuice snake monster... stuck a sheet of glass in front of the camera and "painted" vaseline! brilliant!

jin

p.s. wonder what happened to jim danforth... he was a big stop motion dude too... last thing i heard associated with him was carpenter's 'they live' (did he also do the penisaurus in flesh gordon?)

hydroclops
11-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I experimented with motion-blur effects and stop motion back in the 80s and I found that the vaseline approach didn't give the results I expected. What did work was using paint, mixed to match the color of whatever was moving, on glass. Of course the glass needed front light and the whole set up was very cumbersome.

I suppose some did use vaseline, but other approaches used were multiple exposures (which looks like lightwave classic motion blur), and jiggling the model while the shutter was open, hard to control.

Tippet and/or Dennis Muren did tests with the DragonSlayer rig(the same moves with and without blurs) and said that perceived strobing had more to do with the precision of the animation and less to do with whether or not there were blurs on the frames.

Jim Danforth did the effects in When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. I guess he's retired. He participates sometimes in the Stopmotionanimation.com forum.

daforum
11-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Maybe some of the shading/lighting may look slightly better compared to ILMs CGI-versions, but overall, those clips are no way near the work seen in the first Jurassic Park, especially regarding the animation. Stop motion just doesn't cut it on the animation part...

Agreed.

I still remember the first shot of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park :bowdown:

Nicolas Jordan
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I remember seeing this work when I was 5 back in the 80s and remember being glued to the TV and totally mesmerized by it. My grandma taped it for me on a Beta machine so I could watch it over and over as many times as I wanted. I was a really Dinosaur crazy kid at the time. I had tried to find this stuff on Youtube a while ago and couldn't track it down. Thanks Celshader, this brings back lots of memories. It's still very cool to watch even now. There is something special about the look of stop motion animation that really sets it apart making it a timeless art form. :)

akademus
04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow. They are amazing. Thanks for links. Enjoyed them...

Nicolas Jordan
04-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I think they actually considered having Tippett do stop motion for most of the stuff in Jurassic Park until they had ILM do some tests with 3D stuff to see where technology was at and Spielberg decided to go with the 3D technology since it had matured enough to pull off a more realistic look than stop motion could achieve. Stop motion was still the next best thing to CG though.

Nicolas Jordan
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
The lighting, design, camera work, models, and character animation are all first-rate. I hope someone releases this stuff on DVD or iTunes someday.

:agree: I sat down last night and watched all of this and it's just as good as I remember it minus the Youtube compression blur. Everything here is top notch stuff. If this ever comes out on DVD I will definitely get a copy!

Andyjaggy
04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I think they actually considered having Tippett do stop motion for most of the stuff in Jurassic Park until they had ILM do some tests with 3D stuff to see where technology was at and Spielberg decided to go with the 3D technology since it had matured enough to pull off a more realistic look than stop motion could achieve. Stop motion was still the next best thing to CG though.

............ trying to picture Jurassic park with stop motion dinos. That's an ugly thought.