PDA

View Full Version : licensing

yorkshiretyker
11-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the lightwave 9 licensing, I would like to run lightwave on my Laptop as well as my desktop, but am unsure whether I would be violating the terms.

YT.

geothefaust
11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
You can use LW on any machine that you attach your dongle to first. Be it PC or mac.

Dexter2999
11-08-2008, 08:42 PM
You can install LightWave on 10 or 20 machines if you want to. There is no violation as to how many installs you can have. But only the machine with the Dongle connected will work. So you can only run one copy at a time.

So take care with your dongle. Don't let it get broken or stolen.

You can run Screamernet on up to 999 machines, for rendering, no dongle required.

OlaHaldor
11-10-2008, 06:20 AM
So.. What happens if it's lost in a fire, for instance?! Or an earthquake that makes anything in the room.. sort of.. destroyed?

JeffrySG
11-10-2008, 06:27 AM
So.. What happens if it's lost in a fire, for instance?! Or an earthquake that makes anything in the room.. sort of.. destroyed?

Make sure your insurance covers it. :)
And keep it safe!

biliousfrog
11-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I'd be more upset that my workstation, external drives, monitor, speakers, books, toys, CD's and guitars were destroyed than a dongle for a fairly cheap piece of software 8~

....and that's just assuming that it was the office that got destroyed, if it was the house...well, there'd be a hell of a lot more important things than a dongle

OlaHaldor
11-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Assuming I really don't have a life and all I do is training myself to be able to do some 3D animation and compositing in Shake, and besides this, working towards the grand title and position in a production house as a 'colorist'.. :D

The only things I'd care about is the dongle (software is downloadable..), harddrive with the object/scene files and my cat.

JeffrySG
11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Assuming I really don't have a life and all I do is training myself to be able to do some 3D animation and compositing in Shake, and besides this, working towards the grand title and position in a production house as a 'colorist'.. :D

The only things I'd care about is the dongle (software is downloadable..), harddrive with the object/scene files and my cat.

...and if your cat's name was 'dongle', you'd have to worry about two dongles then!

biliousfrog
11-10-2008, 09:27 AM
quite a cool name for a cat!

OlaHaldor
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Haha! Nice! I'll name my next cat Dongle. My current cat has the cutest name - Melua, after the artist :bowdown:

Dexter2999
11-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I think I have read on the forums here that a replacement dongle can be purchased, but they are like $200.

OlaHaldor
11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Hmm.. I'll wait till LW10 comes before I accidentally burn down the house then, and spend the replacement dongle money on LW10, get a new house built and be my cats hero for saving her from the fire. :D