PDA

View Full Version : wanted to say that for a long time

jan_muentinga
08-06-2003, 11:52 AM
i really dont like like the direction that the lw-comunity took the last year.... all that bitching and whining..
i feel like this wonderful comunity is destroying itself
when i recall ol times, the lw comunity was legendary for their friendliness, but now... i dont know... its just sad.
i wouldnt wonder if there are a number of people who left the board...

there is also a thread at cgchannel, take a look:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80215

cheers
jan

edit: dont get me wrong, but im no newbie, im around since 1997...

DigiLusionist
08-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Jan, yup. It's sad. The four letters that help kill it are IMHO. Seldom are the opinions shared here humble, and even less seldom respectful of other folks' opinions.

I think things will start to change now that NT has started communicating with the users more. The long vaccuum of silence has made everyone nervous of late...

fortress
08-06-2003, 11:52 PM
jan i agree 100%
it has gotten a little better latley but the nt community used to be the best around

wacom
08-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Not that I'm a saint when it comes to my posts...but even in the short time I've used this wonderful resource I've seen some nasty and long winded posts (which I have unfortunately contributed to) that had little to do with making great images. I guess some of us forget why we're really here sometimes...

The funny thing is that discussion lists like Pigsfly don't seem to have this problem- people use it less like a chat room and more for real Q and A around relevant issues. I've been thinking about why this is but can't put my finger on it...the over all tone of the list just carries its self differently.

It does make me wonder what would happen if any one could read the newtek pages, but only people who had a serial number for LW could post- would this change/help things? We should be able to police ourselves better though. The VT section seems to be doing well in this regard and why can't we?

Thank you for starting this thread, I hope something good comes out of it and threads like it.

riki
08-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Mmm I remeber lots of nasty flaming wars back in the old days. I don't think it's gotten any worse. I think I'm a bit more careful these days.

Chuck
08-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by DigiLusionist
Jan, yup. It's sad. The four letters that help kill it are IMHO. Seldom are the opinions shared here humble, and even less seldom respectful of other folks' opinions.

I think things will start to change now that NT has started communicating with the users more. The long vaccuum of silence has made everyone nervous of late...

There has been no long vacuum of silence. I and many other NewTek staff have communicated daily and at all hours here and on other forums, newsgroups, and mailing lists, consistently for years.

I would certainly agree that respect for others opinions has been lacking, and we've been addressing that with more active moderation of posts and threads and removal of the accounts of those who seem incapable of civil discussion.

Matt
08-07-2003, 05:51 AM
okay everyone, huddle together, that's it move in closer at the back, ready . . . grooooooouuuup huuuuuuuuug!!!!

ahhhh! that's much better! :)

anieves
08-07-2003, 06:39 AM
have you guys thought that the reason for this could be that there are more trolls out there now, and how about immaturate 13 yr olds? I have seen the boards get flooded with more and more kids that think they know everything and their comments are the only ones that really count becasue they are teenagers and know everything.:rolleyes:

And how about some maxers (and other software users) that are extremeley jealous of the LW community that join boards to just stir s*** up... is annoying as hell.:mad:

mattclary
08-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Hell, I'd be jealous too if I had to use that piece of crap. :)

colkai
08-07-2003, 07:22 AM
I had tended to group the rise of trolls with the school holidays and "youngsters" - but didn't like to say it as I thought I may just becoming a crotchety old bloke :p

Historically it has tended to be the case, after all, there are plenty of guys out there who think the best way to show how clever they are is to cause disruption and destruction.

I like it here normally - we create - not devastate :D

Hey...
LW8 - cre8 devast8ing work! ;)

DigiLusionist
08-07-2003, 09:00 AM
Actually, Chuck, you guys are just now sharing a lot of the basic information we've been asking for for a while now. Like, when the next version of LW is projected to be released, etc.

I have read a lot of "We have nothing to do with Lux" posts, and "It'll be done when it's done" posts over the last two years. Not much other elucidating info about LW's future, though. That is the silence I was referring to.

P.S. I'm glad to see you're posting again.