PDA

View Full Version : Real noob Save question in layout

gumbytrain
11-08-2008, 09:41 AM
For the past few months I've been using/learning Lightwave. I've used many other 3d apps before so I'm not new to 3d in general.

One thing that has been bugging me is the way Layout saves. I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious or this is just one of the ways that layout is supposed to work.

In other apps I would save my work often. Make a move or adjustment - like the results - hit save. File saves. Just like in Modeler.

In layout if I make an adjustment and hit save it always asks me if I want to replace the file.

Yet, if I make a change and then exit Layout with out saving it will ask me if I want to save changes. I say yes and it does. It does not ask me if I want to replace the file.

So what am I missing?

Sensei
11-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Try mine plug-ins SaveSceneAndAllObjects(Increment). It's available here http://www.trueart.pl It won't ask you for anything, so just make shortcut and press when needed.. :)

gumbytrain
11-08-2008, 04:36 PM
That looks cool and I'll definately give it ago, and I really apprciate your response!

BUT

That doesn't answer my question. Am I misunderstanding the flow of work in Layout?

Does it always ask if you want to replace the file and that's just the way it works, or should I be saving in some other manner?

JeffrySG
11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
^I think that is just the way that Layout works. When I switched to LW I found this really really weird. And I still do. It also always throws me that you can save your LW scene in layout but if you don't also save your objects you'll lose any surface edits you did.

I'm hoping much (if not all) of these things are going to be addressed in v10. But who knows. Until then you either get used to it, or take advantage of the great plugins this community creates.