PDA

View Full Version : Losing inputs randomly on SX84

mhenstell
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
So our VT crapped out during out Hockey game tonight

1) All video inputs coming into the VT were distorted, wavy, like someone was standing next to a poorly grounded video cable with a cell phone. Finally unplugged the Audio cable (from the SX84 to the VT card) and video was fine again.

2) Then, occasionally when making a switch, both preview and program glitch for about a second, then we lose the previewed input entirely. Just black. then randomly a while later it will glitch again and the input will come back, but we'll lose another input.

I had switched out the beefy VGA cables from SX84 to VT card with lighter, hi-res cables from Extron (because of space problems). None of these problems happened during a through workshop test. Video is looping through a monitor bridge into the VT unit. Computer is a high speed Core2Duo with 2gb ram, internal graphics, SATA HD. Any ideas?

Thanks

mhenstell
11-07-2008, 09:43 PM
OK, traced at least part of the problem to the VGA cables I was using to connect with the SX84. I guess maybe they weren't shielded enough? I replaced them with the big bulky ones that came with the VT and the distorted video cleared up. The only problem is that the cables hit a 90 degree angle coming out of the computer because of the space, so I'l worried about them breaking. Also, it seemed that the VT was unhappy switching to inputs that weren't connected to anything, so I removed all the unconnected inputs from the Switcher panel, and it seems to be working (knock on wood).

mhenstell
11-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Cleared up most of the problems for tonight's hockey games - except for an occasional glitch on our preview and program feeds when selecting a new camera on the preview row. The glitch appeared to happen on Kris's scoreboard, but may have happened to the whole image (I wasn't watching closely enough). Could this be a processing power issue, or might there be something wrong with our SX84?

Blaine Holm
11-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Do you have an original VT card, or the VT-Pro card?

mhenstell
11-10-2008, 09:08 AM
We got it about 2 years ago (from you, coincidentally enough) so I believe it's a VT-Pro card.