PDA

View Full Version : new web site

tonyg
08-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Hey all;

Just finished building a new site (http://www.puppydoodle.biz/) for our new 3D biz. See anything broken or screwed up?

Tony Gilchrist
Creative Director,
http://www.puppydoodle.biz/

Maxx
08-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Problem with the Projects page - your layers don't line up. The top two rows of images are actually over the text, and the rest are below the proper area. I'm just digging into layers myself, so I can't really suggest a solution. (Other than use Flash, but that's only because I actually know Actionscript better than HTML! :D ) I'm running Netscape 7.1 @ 1152x864 screen res on Win XP.

Other than that - I like it. The color scheme is nice yet unobtrusive and I like the puppy mascot!

tonyg
08-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Maxx;

Thanks for the heads up! What browser and version do you have? It seems to work Ok in IE 3 and 6, and in Opera 6, but I only have those to test with.

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Maxx
08-07-2003, 01:18 PM
I hit the site with Netscape Navigator version 7.1 - screen resolution 1152x864. (It's my b-day, so I've been drinking enough not to know if that resolution spans both my monitors or just one... sorry about that!).

:D

As I said before, apart from that minor blivet - nicely done site!

:edit: PS - I just hit the site in IE 6, and it lines up perfectly. It may very well be yet another in the long string of completely random Netscape HTML parsing bugs.

tonyg
08-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Maxx;

Happy Birthday! I'll have a tall Guiness tonight in your honour, since I am too far away to buy youone (unless you are in eastern Canada somewhere?).

Thanks for the response; you actually said what browser and version you had in your first post -- I must be losing it, 'cause I didn't see that at all!

Yeah, Netscape seems to have a wierd problem with Layers -- my business partner does the fancy stuff, and she says that layers are not supported properly (at all?) in Netscape -- we have tested, and it seems ot be fine in any recent version of IE, and it works in Opera, which is pretty much an html-basics browser. I just don't know what's up with Netscape. FOr the moment, out site only loads properly for people not using Netscape... grr. I'll keep looking for solutions though.

Thanks again,

Tony

Maxx
08-07-2003, 10:55 PM
First off - thanks for the b-day wishes! Ahhhh Guiness ... nectar of the Gods. Unfortunately, I am too far away to join you for one... :( Enjoy it for me, though!

As for the site problems, I've run into the Netscape layers issues before - they do work, but sporadically at best. I think it has to do with their prior use of the "layer" tag as opposed to the now accepted "div" or "span" tags. They just haven't sussed out how to fix it yet. Anyway, quick way to get around could be to state on the main page that the site is meant to be viewed in Explorer. It's kind of a cheap fix, but hey - surfer beware.

If you guys figure out a way around the idiosyncrasies of the issue, would you mind posting them here? I've been butting my head against a very similar wall for about two weeks now...

iFX
08-08-2003, 11:17 AM
I use Mozilla 1.4 and have the same problem as the Netscape users - Netscape is based on Mozilla so that's to be expected...

Anyway, I had a look at the source and found the problem... as someone said, Netscape Doesn't support layers... well, actually it does, but in a different way to IE...

Have a look at a site I threw together for a friend of mine - I don't normally use layers, but this one needed them, and it was tested to work in both IE and Netscape/ Mozilla

http://users.bigpond.net.au/www.imaginationstation.com.au/about.html

If you have a look at the source, you'll notice the line:
=================
<div style="{ z-index:0; position:absolute; top:130; left:185; }"><layer z-index="0" top="130" left="185">
=================

The layer is defined twice in two different ways (in the div tag, and again in the layer tag), one for IE (and compatible browsers) and one for Netscape (and compatible browsers).

Annoying, yes... But I guess that's what happens when two companies start to add new non-standard extensions to HTML (CSS?)... one may possibly become a standard, while another may be required for backward compatibility...

Which way is the standard? is either the proper way?
If the div layer is the standard ... why hasn't it become supported by NS/Moz?? Who knows?!

Oh, the joy of trying to make widely compatible web pages ;)

Maxx
08-08-2003, 11:41 AM
iFX - Damn! Didn't even think about defining the layer twice. Good workaround.

I think that Netscape/Mozilla does - in theory, anyway - now support the <div> tag at least - I remember hearing something about them dropping the proprietary <layer> tag after the W3C cracked down on everybody and decided there had to be a specific standard. So, the tag is supposedly fully supported in versions (I think) 6.0 and up. However, it's obviously not fully supported yet, as problems like these occur!

Good thinking on the work around - thanks for sharing!

tonyg
08-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the ideas; IFX, I'll take a poke at that, and see how it works!

Thanks again,

Tony