View Full Version : Contemplating doing an upgrade to the ol' box.

11-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm sure with the new i7 chips from intel coming out it will provide a good buying opportunity for cheapskates like myself to give my Intel p35 MB and 6400 processor a facelift. I was thinking of either getting a 6600 quad or the 8500 dual core for a bang for the buck type scenario. If there's an alternative to either of those within reasonable price limits, I'm all ears.

I would say that 80% of my work is After Effects and the other 20% is lightwave so I primarily live on AE. That being said, I've seen tests for the Adobe apps showing much better performance on faster dual-cores than quad-core machines. I have 4 GB of Ram in the computer (32 bit Vista) so I'm kind of split down the middle here. Any help would be appreciated.