PDA

View Full Version : Texture Mapping

Richard Hebert
11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I have yet to produce a working texture map in LightWave. Could use a little expertise on this. I've produced a PDF (map) of the object in question and I can't seem to get the resulting photoshop texture to show up on the model. I've tried this before but had to lay it down for some time to get a handle on other fundamentals. In some programs when a map is exported a new model must also be exported. Is this the case with LightWave?

Richard

biliousfrog
11-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're doing Richard but I've not heard of producing PDF's when creating textures...perhaps you mean PSD?

The procedure for creating a texture mapped object is usually by UV'ing or using the projection methods. I'll go through the projection methods as UV'ing adds more complications.

1) Create a box in Lightwave and give it a surface by pressing 'q' and typing something in the box, eg. 'cube'

2) load up a texture to use on the box, it can be a photo or anything that's at hand. Use the image editor to load the image or load it in the next step.

3) Open the surface editor, select the surface and press the 'T' button next to the colour setting. Load the image and select a projection type - cubic would work best.

4) As long as your viewport is set to Texture or Textured Wire you should see the image applied to the object.

5) Save the object and load it into Layout for rendering.

Does that work for you?

Richard Hebert
11-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm able to get textures onto an object but I'm wanting to create new maps for a commercial model that didn't come with them (maps). I'm able to export maps from Modeler as eps files (LW default I believe). I then import the eps files into Photoshop 7 (PS 7 converts the eps files into the pdf format to use as a background image guide for texturing. The problem is that I can't see the resulting psd files (or .tif , .jpg conversions) on the model after trying to apply them as textures. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, just not sure where to troubleshoot anymore. I've tried what little I know and was hoping texturing gurus could give me a little more insight to my predicament. Thanks for shortening the learning curve a little.

Richard

virtualcomposer
11-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Make sure to "Save All" in the file menu or when you quite, all your textures will be lost. Made that mistake many a time.

biliousfrog
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
You're exporting an EPS of the UV map.

You're opening the files, creating a texture by using the EPS as a template and saving as an image.

Loading the image into lightwave and applying it to the same UV map in the surface editor.

Is that correct?...we need to make sure that you're not missing something.

If that's all ok, the image should now be applied to the object and you can render the image in Layout.

Richard Hebert
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the help BF. I was able to track down my error. It was the way I was exporting my maps. I noticed an area that will wind up stretching the image file in an unwanted fashion and have read about such things in other forums (can't recall which ones or how it was handled). I was wondering how any of you (guys and gals) would handle this potential problem in LW other than trying to 'squish' the texture image in that area to compensate for the stretch.

Hieron
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure how you generated the UV maps but it is probably due to the UV map not being generated correctly onto the poly normal but say sideways, thus resulting in UV space being smaller than actual polygon area and then if you draw a nice round shape it will turn up elliptical.

Best to do is to change the UV map, instead of the texture imho. Instead of this image, slap a say checkerboard image onto your model. And then finetune the UV map (not the image, the UV coordinates themselves in Modeler) such that the checkerboard image is nice and never stretched.

In short: don't squish your image, expand your UV -coordinates.

But if some more pro user has a better way, I stand corrected :) (besides generating better UV coordinates to start with :))

ps: I really recommend to get a book/DVD or a good tutorial on this.

Richard Hebert
11-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I agree, adjusting the map is superior (and is probably the right way) but I didn't see any allowances for adjustment it either during or after creation.

1. Select model layer in Modeler

2. Create UV Map by selecting 'New' and setting parameters, in this case...
a. Texture Name- SeatMap
b. Map Type- Atlas
c. Subpatch Interpolation- Linear
d. Relative Gap Size- Default 20% and Initial Value is checked, Hit
'Create'.
3. While map is selected, go to file, export, export eps, adjust parameters...
a. View- Texture UV
b. Sizing Mode- Draw to Scale
c. Scale Factor- 5
d. Hit 'Export File' and then click 'OK'

The resulting map gives me this effect. Any input as to what I might do differently is greatly appreciated. Given these parameters I'm not sure what to adjust that will affect the distorted area. Does this appear to be a modeling issue to you guys? My understanding of this is very limited and yes I will be looking into some texturing methods and make purchases toward the end of the year. In the meantime, any thoughts on this issue given my settings?

Hieron
11-07-2008, 03:35 PM
In any of the Modeler windows, select "UV texture" instead of say "Top". You'll see your flattened coordinates now.

You can try to fix it here. Keep your mapped model in the perspective view on shaded. You can directly see the result of you dragging/tweaking vertices in the UV texture part. Dragging vertices there does not influence your model itself, just the coordinate mapping.

Richard Hebert
11-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry for the late reply Heiron, I just saw your post. Thanks for the tip. That's next on the long list of things to learn.

Richard

Exception
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Richard, there's a free plugin set called 'PLG tools' Search for it on flay.com. One of them is a UV map packer, optimizing UV space... what it also can do is resize the UVs to be the same size relatively to the polygons. It doesn't always work but it's worth a try.

For your example with the purple dot being squashed, you can use that plugin, but I'd just select the offending polygons in the UV view and stretch them back. Easily done.

Richard Hebert
11-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tip, Exception.

Richard

Hopper
11-16-2008, 05:16 PM
One other thing I would like to mention. I noticed in your screen grab that you were using a lot of BMP files. I'm assuming your not using that format for your texture. You would be better off using TGA or PNG. BMP's also take an enormous amount of RAM.

Richard Hebert
11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
The original maps are .bmp files, the new format will either be .psd or .jpg for this test project. Tif or PNG files are just too big for my single core machine on this particular project. jpg's are working fine while I get a handle on how the software works. They load much faster and I can see the results quicker. When I understand what I'm doing, I'll replace everything with higher resolution models and textures.

Hopper
11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
The original maps are .bmp files, the new format will either be .psd or .jpg for this test project. Tif or PNG files are just too big for my single core machine on this particular project. jpg's are working fine while I get a handle on how the software works. They load much faster and I can see the results quicker. When I understand what I'm doing, I'll replace everything with higher resolution models and textures.
Very smart take on it. I should have done that with my old beast.. (single core 1.9MHz bleh..). But I did get a lot of quality time with my guitars during renders! :D

Richard Hebert
11-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Rotfl!!