PDA

View Full Version : Release date?????

Tony3d
11-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Any idea at all when this could finally be released?

akrantz
11-06-2008, 09:14 AM
I would also like to know this, as I do not have any real desire to beta test for newtek and would really like to be able to upgrade. Any information about a release date would nice.

digitalrelm
11-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I second that, beta testing would be good fun but as I am a new I would like to have experience with LW first. Plus I don't want to upgraded for a while I am sure it is as easy as replacing the program file with the new version and then entering your serial number.

A time frame would be grate too if an exact date is not possible. A company needs to keep is customers as much in the loop as posable. Then they feel valued, like the company cares about them.

I have had bad experiences with other companies about the release of a macintosh version of there software that was released for the PC a year before. It makes one feel like a used. You have not idea if and when they would release it, next week, next mouth, a year from now or worst of all when version 4 comes out for windows. I vowed that I would never buy there software again. (I bet so people know witch company I am talking about, I don't need to drop names. But Newtek is not that company, I think Newteks customer service is grate very quick and informative as it should be.)

Kuzey
11-06-2008, 02:54 PM
If you have 9.3, there's no reason to not be using the 9.5.1 beta...since it's free and all.

It will be out when it's ready but there is a rumor that it will be soon:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90299

I don't think there will be any official response from Newtek until the day it's released :D

Kuzey

Chilton
11-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi,

I second that, beta testing would be good fun but as I am a new I would like to have experience with LW first. Plus I don't want to upgraded for a while I am sure it is as easy as replacing the program file with the new version and then entering your serial number.

In the case of 9.5.1, you can actually set your preferences and licensing up in a way that tracks along with the app, so you can easily have it coexist with other versions of 9.x, or even multiple copies of 9.5.1 at the same time!

A time frame would be grate too if an exact date is not possible. A company needs to keep is customers as much in the loop as posable. Then they feel valued, like the company cares about them.

Hey, I understand! But the Mac version of LightWave these days is a little different than just a port of LightWave. We're fixing things in 9.5.1 that haven't worked right on the Mac since long ago, if ever at all. And there are Mac specific features and implementation details that are custom tailored to the Mac platform.

There's a fine line between making time promises and sticking to them, and delivering an acceptably high level of quality in a product. It's the nature of the beast in this industry, I'm afraid.

That said, I sincerely hope that our users experiencing the Open Beta program first hand right now are getting a clearer picture of how this process unfurls.

This next version of LightWave for the Mac will be worth the wait.

-Chilton

JeffrySG
11-06-2008, 04:03 PM
That said, I sincerely hope that our users experiencing the Open Beta program first hand right now are getting a clearer picture of how this process unfurls.
-Chilton

I think we really are. :)

Also, just because you download the 9.5.1 mac beta doesn't mean you have to actively submit bugs or participate in the beta forums. It's great if you can but not necessary. You're more than welcome to just download all the updates as they come out and just keep on using them.

If you have 9.3, there's no reason to not be using the 9.5.1 beta...since it's free and all.

:agree:

Tony3d
11-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi,

In the case of 9.5.1, you can actually set your preferences and licensing up in a way that tracks along with the app, so you can easily have it coexist with other versions of 9.x, or even multiple copies of 9.5.1 at the same time!

Hey, I understand! But the Mac version of LightWave these days is a little different than just a port of LightWave. We're fixing things in 9.5.1 that haven't worked right on the Mac since long ago, if ever at all. And there are Mac specific features and implementation details that are custom tailored to the Mac platform.

There's a fine line between making time promises and sticking to them, and delivering an acceptably high level of quality in a product. It's the nature of the beast in this industry, I'm afraid.

This next version of LightWave for the Mac will be worth the wait.

-Chilton

Now I'm really looking forward to it! Damn.

Nige
11-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Akrantz and Digitalrelm

The latest version of the beta I'm using is the fastest and most stable version of Lightwave I've used in years...:thumbsup:

If you think 9.3 is a safer option, you're wrong - go for the beta, it's fine!

:beta:

Nige

yaschan
11-08-2008, 04:49 AM
I agree too. The most recent build has most of the bugs fixed. It's solid, very fast. Much better than 9.3.
The final version will be released end of this month.

yaschan
11-08-2008, 04:51 AM
I am also moved to see how fast this process is. I recently reported a problem, and it was fixed in next day's build. I really recommend to report any bugs you find.
Let's enjoy Lightwaving..

mwh710
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
My issue is changing over 32 computers to the beta & then again wen the real version comes out, isn't worth it - is a HUGE hassle with dongles & codes & if you want it to run under more than one person - like different classes - just a bigger hugely time-consumming mess.

daforum
11-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Akrantz and Digitalrelm

The latest version of the beta I'm using is the fastest and most stable version of Lightwave I've used in years...:thumbsup:

If you think 9.3 is a safer option, you're wrong - go for the beta, it's fine!

:beta:

Nige

Hi Nige. Just wondering what system are you running the Beta version on?

I'm running LW 9.3 on a MacBookPro 10.4.11 and am very happy with it at the moment. Is the beta that good? :)

CaptainMarlowe
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I've downloaded it yesterday - and yes, it's worth it. Lots of new cool stuff, and fast and stable. :)

That's impressive ! Good work from Newtek, keep on !

daforum
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I've downloaded it yesterday - and yes, it's worth it. Lots of new cool stuff, and fast and stable. :)

That's impressive ! Good work from Newtek, keep on !

Thanks Captain! :)

Are you running it on the same specs as me - on a MacBookPro, 10.4.11?

CaptainMarlowe
11-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, no. I'm on a iMac 2.4, 10.5.5 and 4 GB.
I did crash the program but I was just foolong with 7 different FiberFX areas on a werewolf. So it was pehraps a little too demanding. ;)

I love Fiber FX, by the way...

WizCraker
12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
NewTek is like Apple, they don't tell when it is to be released until the day it is released.