PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #13

cagey5
11-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #13
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Seems like there's been a hiccup in communication, so allow me to kick this one off.

Subject -At the Seaside

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Anything from starfish to Ice cream cones.. Up and at 'em

Iain
11-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Sorry-I meant to start this up last night and things got a bit hectic at home :help:

Nice one Cagey!

Iain
11-06-2008, 03:33 AM
This could be a nice Nodes/Displacement exercise....

flakester
11-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Dang. I'm gonna have trouble 'unseeing' that.
Glad I had a hearty breakfast!

I'll try and find time to get an entry in for this one. Hopefully one that has nothing whatsoever to do with that sun-crunched leather pannier up there.

My eyessss! They burn! :p

flakester.

StereoMike
11-06-2008, 04:19 AM
*shudder*

Will have to wash my eyes

dwburman
11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
For those of you on the New York/New Jersey shoreline... Mwahahaha

cresshead
11-06-2008, 11:48 AM

she doesn't need a leather jacket eh?:D

...err.....yuk!:hey:

JeffrySG
11-06-2008, 01:46 PM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little....

cagey5
11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok. Here's my first quick shot. About 40 minutes modelling including the ClothFx.

hunter
11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I can't believe no one beat me to this. 59 minutes. Just made it! Whew! :D

Hopper
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
she doesn't need a leather jacket eh?:D

...err.....yuk!:hey:
Awesome ... I was about to post "So who wears leather to the beach?"

colkai
11-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Ok. Here's my first quick shot. About 40 minutes modelling including the ClothFx.

Dag-nabit - ya beat me to it! :p

IMI
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
The entries so far look great. :thumbsup:

It's funny, for all the time I've spent on the beaches of Florida over the past 25 years, the only thing I can really remember noticing in any great detail is the bikinis. :D

cagey5
11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Dag-nabit - ya beat me to it! :p

That just leaves you with a donkey or Blackpool tower then... ;)

cagey5
11-08-2008, 12:25 PM
About 30 - 35 minutes modelling and 45 mins texturing.

IMI
11-08-2008, 01:04 PM
That looks great, cagey, really really good. :thumbsup:

I made a suntan oil bottle. Unfortunately I didn't have a suntan oil bottle around so I used a Soft Soap bottle as loose reference, mostly for the plunger thingy.
I was going to make a label for it, but I don't have the time for that... maybe later.
Excuse the sorry surfacing - I've been on a Fast Skin node kick lately and tried to get something a little less waxy and a little more plastic with it, but failed and again- no time. I've done it before, just can't remember how. ;)

AHA! But I actually finished modeling this one in less than an hour. 35 minutes, give or take a few. :)

TripD
11-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Nice stuff! Didn't James Dean do a beach movie once? Maybe I'm just imagining it, LOL! Anyway.... almost got this done in an hour. Has some poly flow issues, but overall I'm good with the outcome.

JCG
11-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Modeling about 7 minutes, texturing about 2 minutes, rendering with every angle and AA setting to find out how to remove the moire pattern over an hour ^_^;;

cagey5
11-09-2008, 08:50 AM
That looks great, cagey, really really good. :thumbsup:

Thanks Imi, it's surprising how textures can disguise essentially simple geometry and those Dome lights make lighting so easy.

Attached is the wireframe. Extra geometry on the square posts to carry the weightmap to control the texture. And a slightly modified render due to overlapping geometry.

All the modelling so far is looking really good, though that beach ball will take some beating ;)

IMI
11-09-2008, 09:12 AM
How do people get that wireframe in a render? Is that what "Render Lines" is for? Seems I tried it once and nothing happened.

cagey5
11-09-2008, 09:20 AM
You need the polygon coloring plug-in too. I'll dig out a link..

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

cagey5
11-09-2008, 09:28 AM
You run it in modeler to give different surface names. Save using a different name or you'll lose all your carefully crafted textures then in Layout choose render 'surface borders' under object properties/edges.

IMI
11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you, cagey, I'll give that a try. :)
I have to admit it's been bugging me wondering how people were doing that, but I felt it was something I should know and didn't want to ask. ;)

colkai
11-11-2008, 02:24 AM
With apologies to everyone for 'same model' posting, especially Cagey, I just *had* to do a deck chair. :p

Saddo that I am, I googled how to build one hehe...
Surfacing is courtesy of some Preset Central err, presets :)

EDIT: Doh, forgot to say, took me about 40 minutes to build it, fabric is a sub-d surface with a bit of thickness.
Took about 16 minutes to render on a dual Xeon 2.8 but that again is probably me being silly with the light / camera settings.

colkai
11-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Here's the model and scene.

cagey5
11-11-2008, 03:12 AM
That looks really nice Colkai, no apologies needed. Don't forget the wireframes..

Iain
11-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Nice work guys.
Thanks for sharing, Colkai! I keep forgetting to post my models.

I'm trying desperately to find time to do something on this.

colkai
11-11-2008, 04:06 AM
I'm trying desperately to find time to do something on this.

Well no-one has done a sand bucket to go with the spade yet :)

colkai
11-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Don't forget the wireframes..

Aye, on the list to do at lunchtime. :)

BTW - if anyone can look at my scene and maybe tell me if my light / camera settings are ok or OTT I'd be obliged. :)

IMI
11-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Nice model colkai, and thanks for the upload!

I gave it a try. With 64 bit LW 9.5 at your settings it took 3 minutes, 4 seconds on my Q9550 machine.
Lowered the dome light quality as low as I could before getting a really noticeable loss of quality to 17 (from 20) and the Adaptive sampling to .07 (from .04). That took 1 minute, 49 seconds, and there was very little difference in the render.

I don't have the IFW Easy Wood though - and LightWave pitched a fit about it, so I can't say if that would have made much of a difference in render times. I suspect it would, being that it's a procedural texture, but I don't know to what extent.

Matt
11-11-2008, 06:03 AM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little....

ROTFL!

That is a disgusting image, skin cancer anyone?

colkai
11-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Wire of the model, took about 10 mins on my 3800+ AMD.

colkai
11-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Lowered the dome light quality as low as I could before getting a really noticeable loss of quality to 17 (from 20) and the Adaptive sampling to .07 (from .04). That took 1 minute, 49 seconds, and there was very little difference in the render.

Thanks for that, I'll give those settings a go here and see what difference they make. :)

Iain
11-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Had a go at your deckchair, Col.
5 minute fprime render. Nice model:thumbsup: Any ideas for the next challenge?

Still trying to get an hour to do my idea :thumbsdow

IMI
11-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Looks great Iain. :thumbsup:

cagey5
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, good to see the forums back at last but a bit late for me to judge right now, so I'll call it first thing tomorrow.

Nice deck chair surfacing Iain.

Iain
11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I had a great reference shot of a rowing boat I wanted to do but I've been too busy this week trying to find a job :hey:

I'll get the new challenge going tomorrow if Colkai can let me know what it's to be.

cagey5
11-13-2008, 02:55 AM
Well despite a limited number of entries it hasn't made the judging any easier as they were all excellent.

On this occasion however, I am declaring IMI's bottle of suncream the winner. Congratulations.

TripD's spade could just as easily have taken it, I just liked the simplicity and poly flow that good modelling shows.
Loved the texture on the frisbee, brilliant for 7 minutes
And Colkai, excellent deckchair, again could so easily have won it but I think you have your hands full, having won the last one ;)

Iain
11-13-2008, 03:00 AM
I thought there would be more entries for this but I can't say much since I didn't manage one!

Congratulations IMI :thumbsup:

IMI
11-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Oh wow, thanks!. :)

Now I wish I had gone to the trouble of making a label for it. ;)

IMI
11-13-2008, 04:36 AM
I thought there would be more entries for this but I can't say much since I didn't manage one!

Congratulations IMI :thumbsup:

Thank you. :)

I was surprised too, but I wonder if others didn't have the same problem I did - I couldn't think about much beach-related that could have been done quickly - at least as far as my skills would allow.
I've spent alot of time on the beaches of Florida, and all I could think of was bikinis and beachfront bars. ;)
Once I got my mind out of the gutter I came up with some other ideas such as beach umbrellas, beach blankets and towels, beach bags like the women usually have, and then more complex things such as hot dog and ice cream carts, crabs - you see alot of them running around our beaches. Cool little critters - at night if you have a flashlight you can actually make some of them follow you by guiding them with the light. Various birds like seagulls or sandpipers.
I'm surprised nobody modeled a seashell. And we even have the perfect plugin for it in Modeler. ;)
I did think about doing a chair, but that had already been done.

Looking forward to seeing what the next challenge will be!

IMI
11-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Oh wait...am I supposed to come up with a subject for the next one now?

colkai
11-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Had a go at your deckchair, Col.
5 minute fprime render. Nice model:thumbsup: Any ideas for the next challenge?

Hmm, not yet, my heads been all over hte place due to work situations at present. Got a weekend coming up and after some furniture haulage and flat pack building I will try to devote some time to ideas. :) EDIT: doh! - I'm an idiot - ok, let me have a think over lunch then! :D
That render is lovely by the way!

colkai
11-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Oh wait...am I supposed to come up with a subject for the next one now?

for next week IMI, ickle me has to think summat up over my buttie today :p

IMI
11-13-2008, 05:42 AM
for next week IMI, ickle me has to think summat up over my buttie today :p

Thank you - sounds good to me. My ideas are terrible. ;)

flakester
11-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Grats IMI, and well done all who got an entry in.

Some ace images, loved the chair, the spade, jetty and the frisbee - and the bottle of course!

I started a crab - but had to do other things in the end. Hurrumph. I may put some time in to finishing him anyways.

Again, well done all. Looking forward to the next one, may actually find some time for that if I'm lucky.

flakester.

Iain
11-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Challenge 14. Sorry for the delay but Colkai put a bit of thought into this one:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=782063#post782063

Good luck!

IMI
11-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Very cool theme. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm.....

geothefaust
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Congrats IMI! Great entry.

TripD
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Thank you. :)

I was surprised too, but I wonder if others didn't have the same problem I did - I couldn't think about much beach-related that could have been done quickly - at least as far as my skills would allow.
I've spent alot of time on the beaches of Florida, and all I could think of was bikinis and beachfront bars. ;)
Once I got my mind out of the gutter I came up with some other ideas such as beach umbrellas, beach blankets and towels, beach bags like the women usually have, and then more complex things such as hot dog and ice cream carts, crabs - you see alot of them running around our beaches. Cool little critters - at night if you have a flashlight you can actually make some of them follow you by guiding them with the light. Various birds like seagulls or sandpipers.
I'm surprised nobody modeled a seashell. And we even have the perfect plugin for it in Modeler. ;)
I did think about doing a chair, but that had already been done.

Looking forward to seeing what the next challenge will be!

At first I thought of modeling a star fish. Here is a reference of an interesting one. But then the prospect of finishing this in anything resembling an hour scared me away!

TripD
11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Grats IMI! Well done project. Catch yah on the next one! :D