PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody! I got couple newbie questions...

Kuuselaa
08-06-2003, 08:56 AM
I have been thinking about getting Lightwave 3D 7.5, but I got couple questions first...

1. My computer is 1300 mhz Amd Thunderbird with 512 mb sdram and it has gainward geforce 4 titanium 4200 golden sample... Is it enough to make wonderful 3D stuff?

2. I don't have any 3D modelling experiance at all... Is this program for me?

3. Do I need programming skill like c++ stuff...

I will add more questions, if I got something to ask

Oh btw nice forum! :D

CB_3D
08-06-2003, 09:15 AM
1. Absolutely enough. Better than what i have at home for 3d work.

2. Yes, Lightwave is IMHO the most "tactile" when it comes to modelling and setting up stuff. Itīs all very down to earth once you understand the tools.
Download the demo.

3. No, not at all (see 2.) If you know a bit about drawing or sculpting you are ready to go.

Kuuselaa
08-06-2003, 09:24 AM
4. Where can I download demo? I just can't find it... :(

ChrisS
08-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Kind of tricky to find.
http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html

Not sure, but I don't think it can be downloaded, rather they send you a CD.

mattclary
08-06-2003, 11:48 AM
I think if you downlaod the latest patch it will install and run in demo mode without a hardware lock (called a "dongle").

milkman
08-06-2003, 11:51 AM
mattclary: that didnt work for me b4 i got lightwave. course, that was when 7.5 was just released... i tried to download the 7.5 upgrade... maybe it works for the 7.5b/c upgrades?

mattclary
08-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I think the c update works that way. But hey, try it. Worst case, it doesn't work.

Kuuselaa
08-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi again! I was lucky that one of my friends had Lightwave installed (It was really old version, I don't remember witch one) but it was really cool. He showed me some features and I was amazed. I have also readed information about Lightwave 7.5c and I'm very excited! I'm thinking all the time about ordering... Do you guys have anything to say, before I'm making final decision?

A Mejias
08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Kuuselaa
Hi again! I was lucky that one of my friends had Lightwave installed (It was really old version, I don't remember witch one) but it was really cool. He showed me some features and I was amazed. I have also readed information about Lightwave 7.5c and I'm very excited! I'm thinking all the time about ordering... Do you guys have anything to say, before I'm making final decision?

Yes.
Buy it.
Buy it now.
It is very very good.
Buy it.
Become one of us.
One of us.
One of us.
One of us.
One of us....

richpr
08-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Or buy a copy of the Inside Lightwave 7 book which comes with a CD which has Lightwave on it and tons of other stuff as well...

It will teach you how to use the program to do the things you might want to do as well... Works for me...

A Mejias
08-06-2003, 06:23 PM
If you really think you are going to get it, make sure you get it soon so you can take advantage of the free DFX+ and LW 8 upgrade deal.

Tom Speed
08-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Kuuselaa
I have been thinking about getting Lightwave 3D 7.5, but I got couple questions first...

1. My computer is 1300 mhz Amd Thunderbird with 512 mb sdram and it has gainward geforce 4 titanium 4200 golden sample... Is it enough to make wonderful 3D stuff?Add a huge jar of coffee and a sprinkling of artistic talent and you're good to go.

2. I don't have any 3D modelling experiance at all... Is this program for me?Sure thing, it's an easy program to learn, the more enthusasim & patience you have, the quicker you'll learn it...just don't forget the coffee!

3. Do I need programming skill like c++ stuff...Not required at all.

I will add more questions, if I got something to askMakes sense to me :)

Oh btw nice forum! :D
Hell yeah! :)

Cya!
Tom

Kuuselaa
08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Ok I just ordered Lightwave. Hopefully you guys can help me... etc... etc... Oh btw could you give me some links for tutorials for newbies? I would really appreciate it :D

Oh one more thing... I will put lots of questions here *evil laugh*

PS: I will get my lightwave tomorrow, so you guys should prepare for my questions :D

Earl
08-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Well, you can start here:
NewTek's LW Tutorials (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html)

Kuuselaa
08-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Ok guys... I got a problem... (hehe as always)

1. How can I add different textures to different polygons?

2. How can I select polygon? (Like in finger nail tutorial)

And yes... I have read manual, but it doesn't always make sense... for me :D (Maybe cause of my bad english perhaps...)

I think this post is gonna be long... (Hopefully not :D)

BeeVee
08-08-2003, 05:55 AM
We'll take your questions in reverse order.

2. You select polygons by clicking on them with the left mouse button (LMB). If you already have polygons selected you will unselect those you have selected by clicking on them with the LMB, or you can deselect all the polygons you have selected by clicking in the empty area of your Modeler interface under the buttons on the left-hand side of the screen. If you want to add to your selection, you can hold down the shift key or use the middle mouse button.

1. Once you have exactly the polygons selected that you want, hit q (lowercase Q!) and a new surface window will appear. You can enter the name of the surface and set (very) basic parameters like the surface's colour, diffuse and specular levels and whether Smoothing is switched on or not.

Hope you get there... :)

B

Kuuselaa
08-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Does lightwave have undo button? And everytime I press delete it deletes everything in screen! I only want delete one object not all objects! How can I do that?

CB_3D
08-08-2003, 12:50 PM
you should really consider reading the manual, even if it takes some time.

when nothing is selected, all is considered selected. and yes, itīs the button that says "Undo".

;)