PDA

View Full Version : Intel Core i7

starbase1
11-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Well the review sites seem seriously impressed with the new intel chips, with some calling it the biggest leap forward in procssor power ever.

(Detailed review here: http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/components/0,1000001694,39539047,00.htm )

And that article also has a render review (using Povray, but never mind).

Initially I was disappointed to see that it required the more expensive DDR3 memory, but looking at the online shops, it seems that this has come down in price considerabley in the last couple of months.

It looks like the definitive chip to get for heavy duty Lightwave work then.

I'm not terribly clear on what they describe as threads versus cores though, i.e. 2 threads per core. To put it another way, does this mean that I could expect Lightwave to run 8 times as fast with 8 render threads on this hardware as with one thread?

The other thing that seems astonishing to me is that, (if I understand correctly), it will dynamically overclock if it spots one core is being under utilised, to speed up the one that has all the work. This is apparently possible because it is heat limited. But I would have thought it impractically difficult to get a CPU working with a variable clock rate in different parts of the same chip! Or maybe I misunderstand?

Nick

Lightwolf
11-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm not terribly clear on what they describe as threads versus cores though, i.e. 2 threads per core. To put it another way, does this mean that I could expect Lightwave to run 8 times as fast with 8 render threads on this hardware as with one thread?
It's the return of Hyperthreading, just more efficient than it was in the P4s.
Basically, to keep the pipelines on the cores busy, every core can run two threads at the same time, not at full speed though.
From the benchmarks I've seen, running 8 threads (in Cinebench) results in a speed up of 530% as opposed to one thread only. So you basically get 1.3 of a core for free ;)

The other thing that seems astonishing to me is that, (if I understand correctly), it will dynamically overclock if it spots one core is being under utilised, to speed up the one that has all the work. This is apparently possible because it is heat limited. But I would have thought it impractically difficult to get a CPU working with a variable clock rate in different parts of the same chip!
AMD have been doing that as well for some time (on the current Opterons/Athlons the memory controller as well as the cores can have separate clocks to save energy).

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
11-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Yes, with this development, I'm already contemplating a new setup. I've only had my current one for about 10 months but I already feel it's lacking.

Jason Hawkins
11-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Here is a link to a thread with some core i7 reviews that have Lightwave benchmarks in them:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91223

My favorite quote from all the reviews online is this one from Anandtech:
"That's another 30%+ advantage for core i7 (Nehalem). If you do a lot of 3D rendering on your system, Intel is going to give you $1400 worth of performance for $284 (core i7 920). Merry Christmas".
They are referring to the cheapest core i7 920 beating up on the former champ core2 QX9770.

starbase1
11-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Here is a link to a thread with some core i7 reviews that have Lightwave benchmarks in them:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91223

My favorite quote from all the reviews online is this one from Anandtech:
"That's another 30%+ advantage for core i7 (Nehalem). If you do a lot of 3D rendering on your system, Intel is going to give you $1400 worth of performance for $284 (core i7 920). Merry Christmas".
They are referring to the cheapest core i7 920 beating up on the former champ core2 QX9770.

Thanks for the link!
:thumbsup:

Oedo 808
11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
It's the cost of the X58 motherboards that I'm not too keen on, on top of getting three sticks of DDR3. I'm tired of playing the waiting game as you could wait forever with new technologies, but in this instance I think I'll hang on for a little longer to see how things pan out with i7 as it promises much, I just hope some cheaper, yet decent motherboards appear. For now I'll just patch up my old system with a new PSU, assuming the blow out didn't damage any components.

ken_g9
11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
It's the cost of the X58 motherboards that I'm not too keen on, on top of getting three sticks of DDR3.

Agreed. The motherboards cost more than the cheapest Core i7 processor. If a mainstream chipset comes out for the Core i7 processors, that'll be my next upgrade! :thumbsup: