PDA

View Full Version : Particle & dynamics showreel

sunomo
11-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi everyone,

Just finished my latest showreel that contains mostly rigid body dynamics and particle effects.

Please check it out at www.sensoryoverload.co.cc.

Comments and criticism most welcome! Many thanks!

Ian.

Stooch
11-05-2008, 02:55 AM
all of your particle simulations have particles that are far too small and look isolated and blobby. i recommend bumping up your random scale and increasing the particle scale overall. as much as 200-300 percent of what you have. you should never see individual blobs in sims. also it helps to have particles that are more transparent and overlapping to give a feeling of depth..

thats all the secrets that i want to share for now :)

the dynamic motions look pretty good for the most part. except that last one where things get launched out the window and down onto the street. they travel as a group too much.

arsad
11-05-2008, 03:04 AM
as stooch said. You should rework your HyperVoxel settings!

3DGFXStudios
11-05-2008, 03:27 AM
totally agree with the above ^

sunomo
11-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks Stooch. That all makes sense. I'm sure that will massively increase render time, though, no? Any tips for getting round that issue? Maybe less particles, bigger HV's (actually it was done using Dynamite) in order to overlap and blend more?

Stooch
11-05-2008, 03:45 AM
nah. id say you are using maybe 3-5k particles in alot of those sims. i have done as many as 20-30k sprites at full HD at reasonable speeds.

just dont make them too big resulting in lots of overlapping layers, that slows things down alot. if you keep the size just right, you will find that it renders at very respectable speeds :)

from my observations, having more particles at a reasonable size would actually render faster than fewer huge particles.

use 1-3 slice sprites for best speed and only add more slices if you intend to fly through them or want a more solid looking smoke. I rarely go over 3 slices.

also you can render voxels at half res and comp them onto full res geometry and you rarely need high antialiasing for smoke and fire because they aren't very sharp to begin with.

heh im giving away my secrets... ;)

Stooch
11-05-2008, 03:53 AM
you are using viper to tune the settings right? just open hv editor along with viper, the second you click on a voxel, it will start updating in viper. choose mosaic mode for fastest preview. you dont even need to do an f9 render to preview voxels.

sunomo
11-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks Stooch - I'll hack through the projects again and tweak the settings!

SplineGod
11-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Heres an interesting thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70370

prometheus
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
You know what...some sound to that reel would help the overall feel of the reel..so throw in some explosion sounds and stuff..

I agree on most stuff said..you could raise the overall scale..but you could also go the other way around, but that would demand a lot of particles with smaller size, and the trick is to not let winds or velocity break up the overall exploding shape.

You could also tweak the hypertexture value some more..especially at the end of the particles life..and also add a particle age dissolve.

the hard fx dynamic are pretty ok, but everything can improve.

Michael