PDA

View Full Version : rendering with pngs?

shannonhochkins
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
hey, i was wondering, if there is something simple i have to click on or change to bump a png image with a transparent image around an object, whenever i do it, it converts the transparent background into either white or black? is there anything i can change to make this work properly.?

thanks heaps.

Shannon

BeeVee
11-05-2008, 06:19 AM
You need to use PNG32 in LightWave to produce the alpha. If you have, then the alpha *is* there, but your viewer is not showing it.

B

virtualcomposer
11-05-2008, 08:59 AM
I've noticed though when I use PNG32, yeah, the alpha is there and when I pull it up in picture preview, my space background turns white because it's the unused part of the render. I don't like the white so I use PNG24. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

BeeVee
11-05-2008, 09:09 AM
It's a problem with your picture viewer. Suffice to say that that white isn't there, it's just been added by the viewer to avoid the more usual checkerboard.

B

virtualcomposer
11-05-2008, 09:13 AM
It's a problem with your picture viewer. Suffice to say that that white isn't there, it's just been added by the viewer to avoid the more usual checkerboard.

B

So the picture is the same if I import it into FCP? I won't see the white? Hmmmm, I guess next time I will use it but I guess it's only relevant to use if you're compositing over other scenes to get a more accurate key right?

toby
11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
You can change the background color in Preview (osx), and that will show up wherever there's black alpha. Photoshop will show you the checkerboard. And yes, there's no need for it unless you're compositing it.