PDA

View Full Version : meta-feature-request: carefully designed, fully realized, advanced UI

eblu
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
hi.
I would like to put in a request for a new UI / paradigm / workflow / way of thinking and doing in Lightwave.

I am asking for Newtek to take a step back, look at the over view, get some inspirational software, talk to users, take some acid, do some research... and then completely redesign the way Lightwave interacts with the user. Do whatever it takes, to make lightwave streamlined, fast, flexible, sensibly laid out, and the definition of cutting edge.

as far as I am concerned, everything is on the table. I love the various functions LW has, but the glue that holds it all together and presents it to the user, is doing about as well as those three week old graham crackers at the bottom of my back pack when i was in third grade.

I'm sure there are many users in this forum who would LOVE to contribute.

vncnt
11-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I like the LW-interface in general but it can be improvement. Other programs are sometimes much "too structured" and results in too many UI-interaction for getting the same result. If you're a math student you may love these type of UI's but I don't.
Also extremely redesigning the UI would alienate current LW-users.
Sometimes I can't help thinking that new users must have difficulties finding the right functions.

As an alternative I'd recommend to create a list of the difficulties we all experience.
Like this:

- Sometimes I press Ctrl+Y in LW automatically - of course without result. Lot's of modern UI's have a Redo (Ctrl+Y) function to repeat the last performed action to the selected object. I consider this to be a part of a modern UI.

- Standard functions implemented as a plugin. I hate this. A lot of them badly documented and for complicated functions not even an example. Lot's of these functions are forgotten because they are hidden in a large list of other plugins. Also tired to first click on the name of a dynamics plugin before the properties are displayed? The tab you just left is not even remembered. This is difficult to explain to a new user.

- When making test renders I keep opening lot's of dialogs/windows to increase quality or increase rendering speed. Presets for rendering would be the right answer here. Parameters like object sub-div levels, camera properties, render properties, (global) light properties, etc. Just ask for a preset before executing F9 or F10 renders.

- Everytime I use the Modeler functions inside Layout something goes wrong. Errors are not very well explaned. I don't understand these functions. In the end, I never use them. This is a typical example of trying to give better service to the users. But how to operate these functions?

I also would like to mention that I'm confident that the new development team is aware of these things.

Matt
11-11-2008, 04:19 AM
Already been there, done it, waiting to see if v10 makes good.

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/38499.html?1044746768

eblu
11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I also would like to mention that I'm confident that the new development team is aware of these things.

I'm not. Its no slight on the LW developers, but I have time and time again been completely floored by the complete lack of historical perspective, or even Bug accountability in the company as a whole.

we have a problem, we write up bug reports, they never get around to it, we get used to working around it, and then a cold war begins where we assume they remember/know, and they assume the bug fixed itself. its been this way for 10+ years.

but I digress.
so... you don't want to alienate users, but you want to change... basically everything? well won't that alienate the users? I'm for change. you can't please everybody here, in fact... any change will alienate users. But thats not good enough. Lightwave's UI is completely Broken. each new feature added its own UI, and they all add up to a very bad user experience. I've had conversations with developers who don't have precise terminology for the various UI widgets because LW redefines its widgets for each application of them. This is a HUGE red flag. it implies many Bad things about lw, from a User, a new User, and a quality standpoint. I know LW has some deep rich industrial tools, but it really doesn't do itself any favors by behaving like different apps for each function.

Users are fickle, they want clear, concise, easy to understand UIs... but they don't like change. If you think they will be alienated if NT redesigns the UI, You haven't noticed that they are already alienated by the hack job that's in place now.

so if you're wrong if you do and wrong if you don't...
its best to actually go for a consistent user experience. At least you won't chase away New users.

GregMalick
11-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Already been there, done it, waiting to see if v10 makes good.

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/38499.html?1044746768

Almost 6 years have passed since you designed that!:cry:
excellent job, BTW.:thumbsup:

Matt
11-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Almost 6 years have passed since you designed that!:cry:
excellent job, BTW.:thumbsup:

I know! Doesn't seem that long ago at all!